• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Available rescue Malinois in the Midwest:

http://www.malinoisrescue.org/ncentral.shtml
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    This should have been titled, "What kind of dog do you have?" because that is all anyone is going to suggest.
  • Wreckyard
    Options
    Miniature Dachshunds are the best dogs known to man, but they're not particularly fond of children or cats. It's why I love them so.

Amen!

Greyhounds are wonderful. You can find a rescue for them online.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have lab/Vizsla mix. Vizsla are know as velcro dogs and everyone knows how loving labs. Now Imagine these two loving dog put togethier super loving pup. If you call any of the animals in the house lab/vizsla shows up. The bad thing about my dog is he sheds a lot you make another dog in all the fur he sheds. Since getting this dog my daughter who has always only liked small dogs now only wants a large dog once one of dogs pass away. These do need a lot exercise though both breeds love to retive so this dog. These dogs are the reason people get dogs they are so loving. I find my dog is more of human dog and doesnt tend to care for other dogs. We have taken him to the dog park and he could care less about the 50 other dogs there. He will find the human who will throw something for him to retive
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Malinois are GSDs on crack.

I have goldens and adore them and labs, but I really like most of the sporting breeds. You can go to Petfinder.com and search for different breeds there by your zip code and that will give you the names of the rescues in your area.

Agree with this. They are also high energy, high drive and need a "job". If you don't have the time to devote to them, they can be a nightmare. Too smart for their own good.

My sister has a working bred GSD who is just a step below what a mal would be like and she is sweet and I love her but she is way more dog than my lifestyle would allow for - she's way more dog than my sister's lifestyle can really allow for, too. :P
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Boxer. Crazy good with kids. We have a 3.5 and 1 year old and doesn't bother with them at all. Over the past few years both girls have beaten him up and he just takes it. When he has had enough he leaves the room. Good energy, easy to train, but like any dog you need to be consistent.
    Cats: he does chase the cat if/when he catches the cat all he does is smell him.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Boxer! I think they are pretty smart, LOVE to cuddle, great with kids, good with cats and other small animals if acclimated. Mine loves to run with me, although I have to be careful when it is too hot. Best dogs ever. I have had 3 now and couldn't say a bad word about any of them.:heart: I got my current boxer through rescue. Adoptaboxerrescue.com. They serve NY and New England, but there are boxer rescues all over the country.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Irish Wolfhound or Newfoundland, wait...those are my favorites. Hmmm.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    We have a white german shep (our only female furkid), a black lab/German shep mix , and a mini American Eskimo, as well as two cats we rescued as 8 week old kittens.

I grew up with GDS and I highly recommend them. Every one I've had as a family pet was gentle, loyal, smart, and very protective of "their" people and home. They're great with kids and can also be great watch dogs if trained well.

Our lab mix is the sweetest dog ever. He's very gentle as well and just LOVES being with people (and the other pets in our home).

I do not recommend Eskies, though unless you are already familiar with the breed and their quirks. I love my pup (see my profile pic). They're gorgeous, VERY smart, and have such personality, but they can be very nippy and tend to bond with only one or two people in the household. It took AGES for us to train him to not nip and growl at people.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I see lots of recs for Boxers. I have a Boxer/Mastiff mix. She's an amazing dog, smart, loving, great with kids, other dogs, etc. She has killed several cats, a rooster, a possum, and a rabbit. :cry: Only when they've come into her yard, and there's never been a mark on them. I honestly think she scares them to death by picking them up and carrying them around. No broken skin, bones appear unbroken.

I also have a Great Dane/Mastiff mix. She's been great so far, but she's only 9 months old. She has not been around cats (see above!), but she's great with my daughter.

DH rescued a GSD last summer, literally starving in a field, and covered with ticks. She's amazing, loving, loyal, and great with our daughter and our other dogs. She also has not been around cats.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    boxer!!!!
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    border collie - cant get much smarter and will help you round up the kids for dinner
  • hsmama11
    hsmama11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We have had several different breeds over the years. We have all rescues right now. We love all our little furry friends, but my favorite is or Welsh Corgi. He is just so loving and such a great pal. I can't say enough about what a great breed the Corgi is. :)
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Any lab mix!
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I love labs. But my chocolate lab was as FBR as I am. Lemme go play with that skunk. Fast forward to next week… lemme go play with that skunk…

And of course, German shepherds 🤙🏼
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    What about a mixed breed dog? They have less health problems in general. I had a chow and yellow lab mix and also a shepherd and Akita mix that I loved. They both lived to be 15-16 years old, were beautiful and had great personalities.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    tmanfive wrote: »
    I love labs. But my chocolate lab was as FBR as I am. Lemme go play with that skunk. Fast forward to next week… lemme go play with that skunk…

Can you remind me what FBR means again, I know I read it recently when you explained it before but my senior brain is swiss-cheesy lately. :(

I wanted to comment on your chocolate lab comment. One of my 2 dogs is a choc.-lab mix and sweet as all get out. BUT she's a needy sort, kinda nervous, and wants to bark/chase everything within a 20 mile radius. After I had adopted her, I read online somewhere how choc. labs can be high-strung clowns. :) I wouldn't give her, or my other lab-pitbull mix, up for anything but some days.......

I think, if I were to ever get another dog, it might be a boxer mix. Our neighbor has THE sweetest dog, part boxer and that thing is a total love.
  • mikerommfp
    mikerommfp Posts: 77 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I’m a huge fan of huskies and go into the mountains very often. Mine is a Seppala Siberian Sleddog.. I also have a new puppy golden doodle. cb53czigan7s.jpeg
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    tmanfive wrote: »

Can you remind me what FBR means again, I know I read it recently when you explained it before but my senior brain is swiss-cheesy lately. :(

I wanted to comment on your chocolate lab comment. One of my 2 dogs is a choc.-lab mix and sweet as all get out. BUT she's a needy sort, kinda nervous, and wants to bark/chase everything within a 20 mile radius. After I had adopted her, I read online somewhere how choc. labs can be high-strung clowns. :) I wouldn't give her, or my other lab-pitbull mix, up for anything but some days.......

I think, if I were to ever get another dog, it might be a boxer mix. Our neighbor has THE sweetest dog, part boxer and that thing is a total love.

Not the brightest bulb in the pack…. 🙂

My chocolate lab was my bird dog. But dang, she was retar… er, not so smart.

Literally got sprayed, like imma stick my nose to that spray hole close, by a skunk twice in about a week and a half.