Not reaching calorie intake/getting enough nutrients

Options
Hi, so, I've been trying to eat healthy as of lately and have lost up 30 lbs so far... Thing is, I'm supposed to eat 1,200 calories and I'm only consuming about 500-600 a day. I know it's not healthy. The problem is that I'm never that hungry. I eat like a bird, I have super small portions of every thing. I don't want to force more food into my mouth when I'm not hungry just to reach my goal. I'll end up feeling sick.

It's starting to worry me because lately I've been losing a lot of hair and I've been really cold. I notice my Iron and Calcium are really low...

Does anyone know what I can do? I don't want my body going into starvation mode.

Replies

• stargirlll
    stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating such small amounts? If your body is reacting like that, you have definitely gone into starvation mode. That just does not happen when you are healthy. If it's been awhile, I can guarantee you've damaged your metabolism and you're going to need to reverse diet to correct it. You cannot get around needing to eat more. Increase your calories slowly every week, and start tracking your macronutrients and micronutrients. There's a million resources on the internet for figuring out what your intake should be at. 1200 calories a day is still way too low, but you'll need to build back up to that regardless since you've been eating so little. There's not much advice to give past that -- you need to eat more girl! That's scary!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Try to eat as much as you can - your body needs that nourishment. You're going to find yourself lethargic and constantly tired, otherwise.

Perhaps nibble on stuff like peanuts and drink hot drinks with full fat milk - anything you can keep down. Just do what you can and take care. :-)
  • amelo84
    amelo84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    NLeo - I had the same problem as you, but it was more than I was obsessing over the calories and not that I had a small appetite. I realized I had a problem and have been working to increase my calories and be healthier. I would suggest eating small, high-calorie meals 5-6 times throughout the day, which will gradually increase your metabolism. Greek yogurt with granola can be a 200-300 calories, an apple with peanut butter can be a few hundred as well. It's OK to use a little olive oil to sautee meats or veggies - oil in general is high-calorie even for 1 tsp. Red meat usually has higher calories than white meat. Nuts and beans are higher calories as well. Try making a shake with milk, peanut butter, fruits - that can easily add up to a few hundred calories, and you can sip on that throughout the day. You might also want to consider vitamins. Good luck!
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Listen to the above people - also consider opening your diary so we can see what you are eating.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The hiar loss and being cold caught my eye because I saw another post earlier where someone said those were their symptoms when they were diagnosed with thyroid problems. Might want to consider talking to a dr and getting a quick checkup
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Step 1 - Grab spoon
    Step 2 - Grab peanut butter jar
    Step 3 - Insert spoon
    Step 4 - grab some ice cream for a side dish

Calories > the type of calories. If you gotta eat dirty, then do so. But you can eat avocado, eggs, protein bars, protein drinks (to include weight gainers), add EVOO to meats or even drink some calories.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Eat what your body is needing! Good nutrition! I make smoothies with low or full-fat dairy, frozen fruit (bananas, blueberries peaches), peanut or almond butter and a spoon of honey ... they are great when you're feeling weak, and full of good-quality calories, carbs, protein, fiber! The nutrients absorb very quickly and efficiently because of the blending. And sooooo easy! You can make frozen pops out of the blended mixture too, for nibbling.

Good luck!
  • janlingo
    janlingo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should consult with a nutritionist. You need to be eating efficiently to make sure what you are eating is giving you the as many nutrients as possible so that your body is fueled to support you daily activites
    . The hair loss and being cold are worrisome, but I get cold too at times. You want to make sure you don't get anorexic and that your body is not burning muscle. 500 to 600 calories ....I never heard a doctor recommend that low of a caloric intake for anyone.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Hi, so, I've been trying to eat healthy as of lately and have lost up 30 lbs so far... Thing is, I'm supposed to eat 1,200 calories and I'm only consuming about 500-600 a day. I know it's not healthy. The problem is that I'm never that hungry. I eat like a bird, I have super small portions of every thing. I don't want to force more food into my mouth when I'm not hungry just to reach my goal. I'll end up feeling sick.

It's starting to worry me because lately I've been losing a lot of hair and I've been really cold. I notice my Iron and Calcium are really low...

Does anyone know what I can do? I don't want my body going into starvation mode.

you need to consult with a doctor. according to your weight loss ticker you started at 130 and you've lost 30. how much more do you think you're going to loose? you're 100lbs and only 19. seek professional help please.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    you're 100lbs and only 19.

That's a good spot.

OP, if you're over 5ft tall then you could be underweight. :(

If you're not ready to see a doctor, talk to someone you trust when you feel ready - in or outside of your family, your mum, or a teacher you like..

All the very best xx
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    you don't feel hungry anymore because your not eating.... being hungry has nothing to do with if your getting enough nutrients..