NROLFW help

Options
Okay a quick question :)

I have just started this programme. I am a complete newbie to weights so I'm sorry if this sounds a completely stupid question. I did my first workout on Monday with 17kg weighted bar for squats and 14kg (7kg in each hand) for step-ups. Now I managed with this weight and found it rather challenging to do the final ones. My worry is, am I not lifting heavy enough? I don't want to hurt myself and i'm sure that in time i'll get stronger and be able to lift heavier - but will I see results with just lifting 17kg etc.

Replies

• MammaMouse
    Options
    If it's heavy enough that you are really working for the last couple of reps you are where you should be. At least, that's what I was told... I don't want to say it's completely accurate because I too am a newbie at lifting, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Just keep working your way up =)
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My arms and tops of my thighs have been burning since Monday lol so it's done something :P

Thank you for your input :) x
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling with the last few reps (but not before then), you are using a good weight. You should never lift with a weight that is heavier than you feel comfortable lifting (unless you are lifting to failure with a spotter, which isn't the case with NROLFW).

One thing I found to help prevent soreness was to go through the ENTIRE set of warmups the book recommends (general, semi specific, specific). I was doing general, then sort of halfway doing semi-specific, then jumping right into squatting and deadlifting with full weights. The results were NOT fun the next day. Doing the full set of warm ups and a good cool down then stretch afterwards makes all the difference for me.
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    thanks for replying :) much appreciated
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    thanks for your reply :) much appreciated x