I LOVE SUMMER...what about the other seasons?

Options
Soo, I got laid off from my teaching job in April; as a result, I have had one of the most relaxing/active summers since I was a kid! I have recently got into tennis, I play sand volleyball any chance I get, walking/jogging outside is such a pleasure I don't even mind doing it, and I haven't set foot in my gym for over a month (which really is a waste of money, but I'd rather be outside)!

I'm really starting to dread the end of summer, though. I'm worried that I'll lose motivation quickly when I can't do the athletic activities that I love doing so much!

Any suggestions? If not, that's okay. Just venting helps :)

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends on where you live?! I like in WI and there are physical activities indoor/outdoor for every season!! Believe it or not even snowmobiling in the winter works a lot of your core and arms! snowshoing, skiing, snowboarding, cross country skiing-winter, hiking, walking, horseback riding-autumn, summer spring, pretty obvious. all but winter-canoeing, kayaking, v-ball, baseball, dodgeball.. yes dodgeball, lol. football.. you name it!! You are your only limit!
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this same thing the other day but then I decided screw it even when its snowing I will go out and walk with the kids. Just bundle everyone up in snow suits and they will love to play in the snow along the way! atleast with it being cold I wont sweat like a pig lol.

But I say this now, ask me again when we have 5 feet of snow outside our door lol. I do look forward to the work out of shoveling snow out of our driveway.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree that it probably depends on where you live -- here it is SO hot in the summer that it is hard to get out and exercise unless it is early morning or right before sunset. I can't wait until early fall when it is a little cooler... it will be so nice to be able to go walk outside then!

I think you will be fine with exercising outside for a few more months yet (without even having to worry about the weather much). Remember you generate heat while exercising so even if it is a little chilly out you should be fine for most of the fall and then the spring as well.

I haven't figured out the winter yet. :) I agree that shoveling snow is great exercise... but not an option here, so I'll probably just try to keep walking/running outside. I'm thinking of signing up for a 5K in December to keep me motivated until then and then just have to figure out the next few months.

Ice skating, sledding, playing in the snow are all great exercise options for where you do get snow!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Soo, I got laid off from my teaching job in April; as a result, I have had one of the most relaxing/active summers since I was a kid! I have recently got into tennis, I play sand volleyball any chance I get, walking/jogging outside is such a pleasure I don't even mind doing it, and I haven't set foot in my gym for over a month (which really is a waste of money, but I'd rather be outside)!

I'm really starting to dread the end of summer, though. I'm worried that I'll lose motivation quickly when I can't do the athletic activities that I love doing so much!

Any suggestions? If not, that's okay. Just venting helps :)

I know what you mean, I adore summer, makes me feel 100% better than dark, damp, cold winters.

Regarding your motivation after the summer has gone, you will have to go back to the gym if you don't like the cold, you are paying the sub by what you said anyway and then before you know it, spring will be here and you will be even fitter!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Hey I see we are from the same city.

Fall is still a really great time to do outdoor activities. Tons of parks around the city and the suburbs with trails for walking/jogging/hiking. Which can turn into CC sking if we get a lot of snow.
    If you look around you could probably find some gyms with indoor tennis courts and some times a lot of local places may have adult indoor volleyball leagues.

I really enjoy fall running when the leaves are turning and the temperatures are more comfortable.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Summer in Texas is brutal! Any running/walking outside has to be done before 11am! Seriously, it's like 90+ degrees starting around noon, then skyrockets to ~100 for the rest of the day, even into the evening (last night it was 90 at 7pm). This starts in June and lasts through September roughly. In your case, I'd say hold onto and use that gym membership when you can't go outside. Experiment with something new at the gym. For example, if you normally do cardio, try weight lifting (for toning, not bulking up). If you already do weights, try different weight exercises (I can help with this!) or one of the modern classes.

Another option is a local lake (if you have one). Rowing, canoeing, swimming...all good stuff! :) And what about a long bike ride?
    --my 2 cents.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I absolutely HATE the summer! OMG! If I could move to Northern Canada and stay in a winterized climate all year I would!

Im more active in winter too. I love going for walks in the cold. The only part of winter I dont like: freezing rain. That I could do without. But I love the snow and the crisp cold air.