Anybody with HRM(Heart rate monitor)

Options
I recently purchased a HRM to monitor my exercise calories burned. The calories I burn are so much higher than what the machine says. Just wondering which would be more accurate? I'm rather new at this so any incite would be very helpful. Thanks!!

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Go with the HRM because your weight and own heart rate are being detected. Good for you - on mine the calories burned are so much lower than what MFP says!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap? If so, it's deffinitly more accurate than the machine. Also if you have to put in your stats like, age, sex, weight and height.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I agree, if it has a chest strap, its more accurate
  • ejoh40509
    ejoh40509 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a HRM as well and I go by the HRM only. The problem I'm having is trying to understand the fitness/fat burn part of it. If you have figured that out or when u do please let me know. Seems I only rack up on the fitness and very little on the fat burn. What kind or HRM do you have?
  • rlouise247
    rlouise247 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No to the chest strap, wear it on the wrist and monitor every so often while exercising by touching finger to button on the wrist monitor. Are those as accurate as the chest strap? I worry because I don't want to eat the exercise calories if its not accurate.
  • rlouise247
    Options
    @ ejoh, yours sounds a lot more advanced than mine...I only had to put in age and sex. Its a sportline, I got it from Walmart.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the fat burn. The whole "Fat Burning Zone" is a myth anyway. What you want to do is burn a lot of calories by working hard. If you do that, you'll burn more fat over a 24 hour period than if you work in your "fat burning zone" (i.e, at a lower intensity) where maybe you are burning a higher percentage of calories from fat but it's a higher percentage of a lower number. Plus, you burn less fat when your energy stores re-balance compared to working at a higher intensity.

With the HRM, it's more accurate than the machines IF it's set up right. So go over your setup and make sure all the numbers are right and then trust it. :happy:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    No to the chest strap, wear it on the wrist and monitor every so often while exercising by touching finger to button on the wrist monitor. Are those as accurate as the chest strap? I worry because I don't want to eat the exercise calories if its not accurate.
    No, those aren't very accurate.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would return it and get one with the chest strap. It's more accurate and you don't have to keep reminding yourself to touch it. On a side note, I got one from Walmart for $50. It says water resistant 50 meters. Does that mean I can wear it in a pool or is it just not a big deal if I'm caught in the rain. I also found that when I have it on in the car, it goes crazy saying my heart rate is 250. There must be interference somewhere, or I have a lot of road rage ;)
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM from walmart and it works just fine for me and I've been losing weight and plenty of inches. to me, a hrm is a hrm and I'm not spending a large amount of money on one when there's really no way to tell exactly how many calories you burn whether it's on a machine, a 30$ hrm or a 250$ one IMO. If I find one cheap with the chest strap I may try it but as for now when money is tight, a good amount of people use the 'cheap' ones. :ohwell:
  • laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    Go with what the heart monitor says because that he going off your weight height and your heart rate!
  • rlouise247
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone!!
  • ejoh40509
    ejoh40509 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    By the way, how is the HRM working for you?