Struggling to get started

Options
Doresoontobehealthy
Doresoontobehealthy Posts: 189 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi, this is about my 4 or 5th pass at starting up on MFP. I've definitely had some success but stress and emotional eating has always won out in the end. I'm determined not to let that happen to me again. I know that slow and steady wins the race and that it's going to take time. I have around 100 pounds I'd like to lose. Just looking to meet others like myself for support. I've been struggling the past few days. I find myself getting hungry like 5 minutes after I've just eaten. I want to make this change and welcome any support.

Replies

• emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I can't even tell you how many diets I've been on. This time I finally decided I was going to make it more about becoming a healthier person. I'm eating a mostly "clean" diet and exercising several days a week. My starting weight was 235 and I'm down to 218 right now. My immediate goal is to get under 200 lbs. but I'm trying to stay realistic with that and I know it may take a couple more months to get there. Ultimately, I'd like to weigh around 160. I've been at that weight before and I was comfortable there. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I log in several times a day and comment on my friend's posts regularly. Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) You've already decided slow and steady is fine so set a lower weekly weight loss goal. Maybe 2 pounds per week is too agressive and you need more calories to make you feel more satiated so 1 or 1.5 pounds per week would be more reasonable.

2) Pick foods that are more filling/satisfying. High carb and processed foods are less filling to many folks. Proteins, healthy fats and fiber tend to be more filling. So instead of having a frozen meal, make a soup or casserole at home and bring the leftovers for lunch. Or instead of having instant oatmeal, cook up a batch of steel cut oats or quinoa. Snack on protein rich foods like eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts and seeds.

3) Recognize the difference between boredom hunger and actual hunger. If you JUST ate, it's likely that you're not feeling actual hunger. You're just bored. So find something to do! Go for a little walk, read a good book, go chat with a pal, etc. Or maybe you just want something sweet to finish off the meal because that's your habit (I know I used to be like that) so have some fruit.

4) Keep plenty of healthy snacks on hand so if you are actually hungry, you're not tempted to reach for junky stuff.

5) Never give up...you'll always regret it. Learn from your mistakes and continue on.

P.S. Water - drink LOTS of it. Sometimes the body signals hunger when it's actually dehydrated.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You have some good advice already, but let me add that if you're an emotional eater it might help to start working on the emotional reasons you eat. Whether it's finding a counselor, pastor, good friend, etc. to talk to about things or picking up something like journaling, there are lots of ways to try and get those emotional compulsions in check before you get to eating.

I'm an anxiety eater. If I can stop the anxiety before I reach for the ice cream then I am much more likely to stay within my goals. Try to be mindful of why you're eating. Is it for hunger, boredom, are you tired, angry, lonely, what? If you can figure out the why then you can take steps to fix it.
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I'm going to adjust my goals so I don't feel so food deprieved. Maybe once I get back in the swing of things I can revisit it. I have just started counseling to deal with my food issues. I know there are some things I need to work on so that I can be successful.
  • Caty_power
    Caty_power Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is in good health.. . I have started a new program yesterday -- ADD me- if answer is yes-.. if we all can start it and can discuss the results everyday ,help each other to motivate .. Would be so awesome .. Anyone in .. have a look at the program .. LEts kill it ... It is not impossible all we need is strength and motivation.....
    I even have a group join it

25 lbs by X-mass-14 Weeks Challenge :D!
    Join this group and add me as well
This discussion has been closed.