thoughts on zumba

I love it!! But do i (a 164 pound,) person really burn 650 some calories for an hour?? I know i sweat a lot but seems high and it seems to fun to be true lol. Thoughts? I'm trying to get enough money for a hrm

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Where are you getting that number? It sounds high to me, but everyone is different.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Could be close, but it does sound high. An hour of zumba for me burns 600 calories, which is with an HRM, and I weigh a little more than you do.
    If you can afford one, I definitely recommend an HRM! But I LOVE Zumba! :)
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    I got the number by tracking on mfp
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I love it!! But do i (a 164 pound,) person really burn 650 some calories for an hour?? I know i sweat a lot but seems high and it seems to fun to be true lol. Thoughts? I'm trying to get enough money for a hrm

It really depends on the Zumba routine and how hard you push yourself. But I would think you'd have to be going high intesity for the entire hour to burn that many calories at your size.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    I love Zumba! And you can burn high amounts of calories doing it. But it definitely can depend on the routine and the intensity. A HRM will for sure give you the most accurate number :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    It's a bit on the high side. I'm 170 currently and our Zumba class is really quite intense. I use a Polar FT4 and I burn in the high 500's per hour, but please note that the typical class still has about a 30 second break between many tracks where she covers instructions for certain tracks, helps us catch our breah, water breaks, etc. And some lower intensity songs are thrown in the mix as well.

If your class has no breaks and every song is a heart blaster, I don't see why not!!
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    I use a HRM and I burn 420 for a 60 minute class - I am 145 lbs. When I was 160 lbs. I burned about 550.
  • anna_conkers
    anna_conkers Posts: 24 Member
    Really recommend this online calculator for Zumba calories, I usually select "low" because I'm wary of over-estimating the calories I've burned!

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • I love to zumba. It is my favorite exercise and I lost more than 12 pounds until now. i made a little research on the subject of how many calories you can burn in zumba class and found this page here: http://zumbaexhilaratereviews.com/Zumba_calories.html