compression sleeves for Calves

Options
I have recently started running and can run for about a half hour but my legs cant handle it sometimes.

Is it worth it to wear/buy some compression sleeves?

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    hrm never though about them for running - I wear compression socks for deadlifting but dunno if they would work for running.

I had to try a million different shoes before I got rid of the shin splints (turns out barefoot vibrams were the best for me - go figure)
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I haven't worn them on my calves, but I have used compression shorts which help somewhat. Blew out my knee over the summer, so I'm currently rehabbing that.

The trick is to start slowly and add either time or increased speed. So, if a half hour is tops, do that for a week or two, then try to go 33 minutes etc. Increase distance or time no more than 10% a week.

The best thing I remember is rolling - get a foam roller and use that on your calves etc.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I use them on my calves. I find that it works great. My calves and shins got tired and achy on long runs and with compression I find that is not the case. I can run farther, faster, and longer than I could without them. Studies are mixed in this, but I've found it to be the case. My suggestion is to try it and see if it works for you... that's always the best solution in my book.