Fertility Question.

Options
I am a 19 year old who went through some issues within her weight loss journey that caused a hormonal imbalance so severe she lost her menstrual cycle. It's been almost 10 months now since I've had one. I am at a healthy weight, I have a healthy life style. I workout. I run. I eat. But it still has not come back.

Normally a person would go see her doctors, but I have been to about 15 doctors and they think this is fine. But I don't see this as healthy really.

My question is, have any of you lost you periods and gained it back? If so how?

AND,

There are a list of natural herbs to help with boosting ovulation, fertility and menstruation have any of you dabbled with herbs? I am very holistic and would love to go about this the natural way.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can try red raspberry leaves. But I'd definitely go see a GYN, this is not normal...
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have been to a GYN. Multiple GYNs. :(
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm not sure what kind of gyn's are telling you this is fine. I have PCOS, and due to that I have had stretches of up to almost a year of no periods. When that has happened, different gyn's have put me on progesterone to trigger a cycle. I know there are pills and shots out there now that can prevent cycles, but according to my latest and greatest gyn, even those ladies should take a break from those to allow themselves a cycle.

I'm not sure what hormonal imbalances you may have, but for me it was too much testosterone, not enough estrogen, so getting on a low dose birth control pill was what set my cycle back to normal afterYEARS of infertility treatments, soy supplements, herbal teas that I mixed myself all meant to bring about a period and increase fertility. Heck, I even carried a fertility totem in my pocket. But it was one month after going off of three months on the pill that I got pregnant with my oldest son. Then 8 months later preggers with number 2. Has your gyn suggested a low level BC to get your hormones balanced out?
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Right from the age of 12 when i got my periods, they were always very very irregular. I got one every 3-4-5 months. Even i went to a couple of doctors, who told me to "just enjoy it while you can " :laugh: My OBGYN just laughs it off and even makes fun of me saying "who knows when your period will return" SMH

Anywhoo, when we decided to have a baby and did not conceive for a year, we did go to another doctor referred to by the same OBGYN. She asked me to lose weight first and also put me on some tablet for regulating my periods. I had lost only 4 pounds in 2-3 weeks before i got pregnant. I am not sure if it was coincidence or something worked, but it did happen.

But please do not take this lightly, ask for some test or discuss your fertility concerns with the doctors and get some tests done if required. Hope all turns out well :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ive used vitex/chasteberry but it was to add a few more days to my cycle, not to fix a 10 month absence
    Maybe a regular old family practitioner would be willing to order you some bloodwork and help get the ball rollbg.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ive been denied blood work too!