Why am I gaining weight?

Replies

• rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    I actually implemented a rule, no taste testing, I have my husband taste for seasoning. Also Diet Pepsi is poison.
    Good luck!

Taste testing and Diet Pepsi has nothing to do with the OP's weight gain.

This.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    omgggg! reading this made me sooo scared!! wtheck?? metabolic damage?? sometimes I eat aroun 1200, sometimes 700...so according to you guys, if I reach my goal and then start eating at maintenance calorie, im going o blow up??? I feel sooooo hopeless!

That is exactly what happened to me! My advice would be to read up on the things these folks are saying now, so you don't run into this problem. It stinks big time! I feel like I'm trying so hard and losing ground everyday.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    omgggg! reading this made me sooo scared!! wtheck?? metabolic damage?? sometimes I eat aroun 1200, sometimes 700...so according to you guys, if I reach my goal and then start eating at maintenance calorie, im going o blow up??? I feel sooooo hopeless!

From the looks of your picture, yes, you're very likely eating way too few calories. The recommended calorie allotment for 1lb/week loss that MFP give you is generally about right, barring pre-existing conditions that would affect your metabolism, and has the deficit built in.

So, for the love of all that is good and healthy in this world eat the number of calories that MFP tells you to.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Yes, It probably is time to have a full work up. Consider also the hormonal changes that come around at this time for us women. It has played havoc on me, too. I also concur with other posters-- that your intake has been calorically too low for too long, and you likely have some metabolic resetting to do.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    I think you are eating too many calories and are not at a deficit. Your body may need to have a certain amount of calories because your body is not burning them like before..

Reset your goals and let MFP set them. See if it changes and if you follow those numbers, and see if it works.. then you will find out whether you are eating the right amount of calories.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Do any of you have good sights or books or blogs or vlogs (etc., etc., etc.) that you would recommend for resetting one's metabolism.

I've done google searches and such, but there's so much out there, and it's oftentimes so contradictory. Has anyone done one of these that has worked?

And any of you who have accomplished a metabolic reset, how much weight did you regain before you knew it was working? I mean, I've already gained back 20 pounds. I don't want to gain another 20 (or even another 10!) before finding out I'm doing it wrong and just getting fat again.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Not to be a downer, but maybe your goal weight is too low for your body to healthily maintain? Our set point for optimum health usually creeps up as we age, and what was a maintainable weight at one year may not be as we get older. I would love to be 110 again, but I'm thinking 140 might be more realistic....
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    If I had to guess, I'd say that you trained your body very well to run on very few kcalories. You may have to start over with a metabolic reset (an initial gain), lose it again slower and then level off into maintenance.

More helpful info here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

^This. If you logging honestly, it would seem impossible to gain weight from eating so few calories - but it isn't. Eating less than 1000 calories for a significant amount of time, limiting carbs, while also exercising by doing endless amounts of steady state cardio, you most likely have caused metabolic damage. Your body has gotten increasingly efficient at running on so few calories by slowing down its metabolism. The answer isn't to cut out more calories, because you are already at a dangerously low level. The above link from tryclyn should provide more help. I also recommend searching YouTube for Layne Norton and metabolic damage. You basically have to do a reset by reverse dieting. Increasing your calories by slowly upping carbs and slowing decreasing cardio and training. You will most likely gain more weight, and it isn't an overnight fix. Seek professional help if need be.

The goal is to eat as many calories as possible and manintain weight, not as few calories as possible. In the long run, such a large restriction, coupled with intense training, causes more harm than good. Good luck.
    ^^^This^^^ The professional help to also run blood tests and set you up specifically to fix the problem... Clearly you know how to count calories after dropping 70 pounds the problem is the metabolism! Thyroid issues and other metabolic problems need to be addressed by a professional using blood tests to find the exact issue, put you on a dietary plan and meds to fix the exact issue that is going on.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    You still need to go back over your food plans and see where your holes are. If everything is the same then you would not be gaining. I quit sodas because of the high sodium content in them. Something is not right. I maintain myself after each 20 lbs so that I learn HOW to maintain. Then after 2 weeks I start again. My trainer is pretty strict about learning to maintain yourself correctly.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Eating below 1,000 calories and exercising 7 days a week is dangerous. When I first started here I was eating at 1200 (exercising 3-5 times per week, but still it wasn't enough) and while I was still doing that I ended up gaining weight. My body just stored anything I put into my mouth because it needed the energy. I now eat at 1700 calories, feel much more satisfied, and am losing faster than I had.
    Your body sees the more calories as a surplus even though it's really not. It is just storing all the extra food because it didn't get to before.
    Calculate your TDEE. That is how many calories you would eat to mantain.
  • danigirl258
    danigirl258 Posts: 12 Member
    Eat, Train, Progress is a great group.

This is also another really good one. They really focus on the metabolism reset here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • There is exactly one reason why someone is gaining weight: because they are consuming more calories than they are burning. Period.

Anything else is a way to sugar coat (pun intended) it. If there was a such thing as starvation mode, it would be impossible to starve to death.

You are consuming more calories than you are burning.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Have you had your thyroid level checked recently?

^ this. And pronto!

If every thing you said is accurate ( never mind any criticism of a 1000 calorie count), I would be at the doctor's office for a full physical and thyroid check, or anything else the doctor suggested to make sure there wasn't a medical reason for the weight gain.

Given that you dropped the weight and knew how to do it correctly, there is a strong possibility it is something else going on here.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    It amazes me how many people are posting that the OP isn't logging correctly or is eating more than maintenance and fooling herself. The OP originally lost 50+lbs!! Has anyone taken the time to look at her diary? Logging water intake and keeping notes on how many grams of carbs came from what type of food illustrates how serious (to me anyway) the OP is about losing weight and keeping it off.

The issue isn't drinking diet soda. The issue isn't holes in her diary. The issue isn't high sodium. The issue isn't age. Gaining 20lbs and only cosuming 900 - 1000 calories is the issue. The problem is metabolic damage. Extremely low calorie diets for an extensive period of time, coupled with low carbs and high levels of caloric expenditure through physical activity is dangerous in the long run. Your body requires a basal caloric intake to function. Your body adapting and lowering its BMR is how it's able to still function.

For the OP, reverse dieting and metabolic reset is the answer. There are MFP groups that were already mentioned in previous posts on this thread that can assist. Dr. Layne Norton, Lyle McDonald, Scott Abel are other resources, and I'd advise to seek professional help as well.

You'll have to increase calories and carbs slowly, while decreasing cardio. Weight training during this time can help as well if done correctly. You may continue to gain weight until your metabolism reaches a reset and sticking point. How long this takes unfortunately hasn't been studied, and will be different for everyone.

The goal is to get to a normal caloric intake level without having to starve yourself to reach your goals.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    It amazes me how many people are posting that the OP isn't logging correctly or is eating more than maintenance and fooling herself. The OP originally lost 50+lbs!! Has anyone taken the time to look at her diary? Logging water intake and keeping notes on how many grams of carbs came from what type of food illustrates how serious (to me anyway) the OP is about losing weight and keeping it off.

The issue isn't drinking diet soda. The issue isn't holes in her diary. The issue isn't high sodium. The issue isn't age. Gaining 20lbs and only cosuming 900 - 1000 calories is the issue. The problem is metabolic damage. Extremely low calorie diets for an extensive period of time, coupled with low carbs and high levels of caloric expenditure through physical activity is dangerous in the long run. Your body requires a basal caloric intake to function. Your body adapting and lowering its BMR is how it's able to still function.

For the OP, reverse dieting and metabolic reset is the answer. There are MFP groups that were already mentioned in previous posts on this thread that can assist. Dr. Layne Norton, Lyle McDonald, Scott Abel are other resources, and I'd advise to seek professional help as well.

You'll have to increase calories and carbs slowly, while decreasing cardio. Weight training during this time can help as well if done correctly. You may continue to gain weight until your metabolism reaches a reset and sticking point. How long this takes unfortunately hasn't been studied, and will be different for everyone.

The goal is to get to a normal caloric intake level without having to starve yourself to reach your goals.

For all I know you may be very correct. No matter, her first stop needs to be a doctor's office. Women over 40 many times start experiencing thyroid issues that can and do lead to odd weight gain. The thyroid test is easy and non invasive.

A doctor's appointment is something I hope you are on the phone making right now. Then come back to this thread.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    There is exactly one reason why someone is gaining weight: because they are consuming more calories than they are burning. Period.

Anything else is a way to sugar coat (pun intended) it. If there was a such thing as starvation mode, it would be impossible to starve to death.

You do realize that that's still basically what the people who are saying "your metabolism is screwed" up are saying?

Everyone knows about the calorie math bat.

Anyone with half a brain also knows that if you're consuming a crazy low amount of calories over a long period of time and start gaining, then the body has down-regulated its metabolism to compensate for being in a state of what it sees as prolonged famine.

The body tries very, very hard to keep going. It's going to down-regulate as much as it can, and after it burns off body fat, it starts going after muscles and organs in order to keep going. This is why many anorexics die of things like organ failure or heart attack - the body has literally run out of all other fuel sources and can't down-regulate any more (many others die of various nutritional depletions).

OP, please, please, please read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • oh wow, i definitely think that you have trained your body to survive on a very very low number, so now eating slightly more (still way too low though) has resulted in a gain. :( i experienced this previously when i had an eating disorder. i worked very hard to reset my metabolism, ate normally for a few years, overate for 6 months and gained weight. then decided to lose weight the healthy way, and easily lost 20 lbs in 4 months eating 1400cals/day and exercising most days. now i'm working my way up to maintenance, and haven't gained any weight so far by slowly transitioning to 1800cals/day (and want to get to around 2000).

definitely look into an appointment with a nutritionist, and read up on metabolic reset. your diary looks scary to me! your body needs fuel!
  • It amazes me how many people are posting that the OP isn't logging correctly or is eating more than maintenance and fooling herself. The OP originally lost 50+lbs!! Has anyone taken the time to look at her diary? Logging water intake and keeping notes on how many grams of carbs came from what type of food illustrates how serious (to me anyway) the OP is about losing weight and keeping it off.

One pound = 3500 calories. If OP is eating at a deficit of 250, please solve this equation for me?

-250 x Y = 3500

Where Y is the number of days it takes to put on 1 pound.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to create something out of nothing. Deficit == nothing. You cant create weight out of a deficit. Period.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    It's true, if u were exercising & only eating 1,000 calories per day that's what your body is now used 2... The same thing happened 2 me but I'm working on it now & getting my metabolism back 2 normal... It takes time... U may gain at first & have 2 lose it slowly but it'll be WAY better in the long run & you'll be able 2 eat more & still maintain weight... Good luck!
  • There is exactly one reason why someone is gaining weight: because they are consuming more calories than they are burning. Period.

You do realize that that's still basically what the people who are saying "your metabolism is screwed" up are saying?

Everyone knows about the calorie math bat.

Anyone with half a brain also knows that if you're consuming a crazy low amount of calories over a long period of time and start gaining, then the body has down-regulated its metabolism to compensate for being in a state of what it sees as prolonged famine.

The body tries very, very hard to keep going. It's going to down-regulate as much as it can, and after it burns off body fat, it starts going after muscles and organs in order to keep going. This is why many anorexics die of things like organ failure or heart attack - the body has literally run out of all other fuel sources and can't down-regulate any more (many others die of various nutritional depletions).

OP, please, please, please read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Yes, but the answer to her question "why am I gaining weight" is "because you are consuming more calories than you are burning".