Fitness Planning Help Needed :)

Options
For almost 3 weeks, I have been making healthier food choices, drinking a lot of water and have been performing cardio workouts for up to 100 minutes (30 minute sessions at different times of day).

I would like to start implementing a strength training program, as I see many women who really change the way their bodies look / feel through strength training. My problem is that while I know proper lifting techniques, proper use of machines, etc, I have NO idea of how to put a plan together that will really work. I would like to know the plans that some of you have used, if you don't mind sharing, so that I might gather some insight. I have ordered some books from Amazon, but they will not be here for a week or more. I researched some stuff on line, but am a little perplexed as to how much conflicting info there is out there.

What I thought of was a three day on, day off, two day on, day off plan in which I work out specific muscle groups on each day. I know I am not supposed to target the same muscles two days in a row.

So my question is this; 1) Would any of you be willing to share some plans that have worked for you?
2) can you give me some ideas of exercised I need to include for each muscle group.

I cannot thank you all enough for your help.
:flowerforyou:

Lori

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My advice is to find an existing, known plan, don't try to create your own. I did, and I think it was a bit all over the place. I've heard great things about Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer, and New Rules of Lifting is informative as well. I a taking a break from heavier lifting, :(, but was doing a bastardized ion of Wendler's 5/3/1 prior. I am currently debating going back to that or trying Strong Curves when I go back.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I find this website to be very helpful and informative. I use it when I'm making my own programs and I'm stumped as to what to add. There's a beginners page that has a ton of information:

http://www.exrx.net
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about Wendler's 5/3/1 plan. Did it work well for you?
  • pg1derful
    Options
    When I started working out I started with all-over body workouts using enough weight that I could comfortably lift 12 -15 reps for two or three sets. I would alternate upper and lower body exercises. For example:

Bench Press
    Step up
    Shoulder Press
    Squat
    Row
    Lunge

I did this type of workout with dumbells for 2-3 weeks just to give myself a base and to get my body used to lifting.

Of course this type of workout is not really used for making massive gains in muscle strength, it's mostly for beginners. It's kind of a starting point. While your doing this you can research a more intermediate program that will work for you and your schedule.
  • floridared
    floridared Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you have Comcast, go to the ON DEMAND segment for sports and fitness and peruse the various work outs. There may be something there to help you.
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the advice... :)
  • maryrx59
    maryrx59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • ericethier
    Options
    here is something that help me and my family http://tinyurl.com/o5hrsh2
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about Wendler's 5/3/1 plan. Did it work well for you?

I liked It a lot. I can't really speak to results or "working" because my diet was crap. I was making small strength gains.
  • kc7175
    Options
    Rachel Cosgrove "Drop 2 Sizes" book/dvd, I really have dropped almost two sizes and I'm coming up on the end of that program. Next I'm going to start New Rules of Lifting for Abs.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    There is an app called 'you are your own gym' that a lot of people like. I've also read 'the new rules of lifting for women' which has a progressive plan.