Why am I always thirsty?

Options
I will start this off by saying that I am a T1 diabetic (under pretty good control). When my blood sugar is elevated, one of my first symptoms has always been increased thirst, so when I get that feeling its the first thing I think of.

On a typical day, I will grab my water bottle (approx 20 oz) and fill it up to drink on my way to work. I have a bottle that I will use at work as well that is 32 oz. At a minimum I am having one in the morning, afternoon and for lunch. I will then have 1 or 2 more 20 oz bottles of water when I get home depending on my workout schedule. So at the least, during a typical workday I am drinking 116 oz of water.

My question is what would be causing me to having this dehydrated / high blood sugar / very thirsty feeling during most of the day? My urine is always clear except for when I first wake up in the morning and even then it is not very dark. Is there some other reason why my body is trying to tell me to drink even more water. I know it is not a problem with my blood sugar because I felt like this last night and it was 120 mg/dl when I tested it. (Normal is 80-120)

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I see you're in PA, and I know the last few days in the east have been hot and humid. Maybe it's that? Also, check your diary ( if you are logging your food) and see where your sodium is at.
  • Krista916
    Options
    I would check with your PCP, but I'm sure you know that one of the main symptoms of IDDM is excessive thirst. Are you on any medications that could possible be causing this as a side effect?

I take a medication that can cause dry mouth so I drink A LOT of water. Like close to 2 gallons a day. Could be a side effect of the IDDM or possible another medication. Call your doc. :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    According to WebMD you're either psycho or dying....

Seriously though..

Most likely it's related to your diabetes or your sodium intake or some medication you're on..

I drink at least as much as you if not more everyday. But i live in high altitude and I drink nothing else (except coffee).

If you really think there is an issue go see your doctor.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It is more than likely related to what you're eating. And there are foods that you could try eating to help stimulate beta cell regeneration....have your tried any? And how is your daily diet?
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic for Type II and I am constantly thirsty. I drink way more than you do at around an average 150 to 170 oz per day and I am still thirsty. I know part of it is that I have a genetic condition that makes me really thirsty and dehydrated and also my medication makes me thirsty. My blood sugar is under control through diet according to all my testing. I think that even under control it still makes me want water all the time.

I would ask your PCP if it is suddenly changing. Mine has been pretty level but the doctor told me to call if it changes suddenly and if goes up to come in.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Its not anything that is suddenly changing. Pretty constant throughout the year, so weather isn't part of it. My sodium may be a little bit on the high side but its not like I go crazy one day and normal or low the next. Again my macros and my diet are fairly consistent.
    I'm not thinking that it is some huge problem where I would think about going to see a Dr. Just wondering why I drink so much and am hydrated yet still thirsty.
  • conniedj
    Options
    Are you on any meds for allergies? Have immuno issues ? Thyroid issues? All can lead to dry mucus membranes--thus increased thirst. Do you have dry eyes/nose as well?
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Maybe try drinking something with electrolytes? Coconut water or Gatorade or Pedialyte?

You might as well go in for a checkup and mention your thirst and they can run a blood test.
  • rosieflo
    Options
    I get that way too. I just asked my husband to pick me up some powerade zero. I don't make a habit of drinking things besides water or milk on a regular basis, but when you are working out or when it's been as humid as it has been (I'm from near Erie, PA) sometimes we just need some extra electrolytes. If your sugar #'s have been high, you definitely want to see your doctor though. Good luck getting and staying hydrated!
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds for allergies? Have immuno issues ? Thyroid issues? All can lead to dry mucus membranes--thus increased thirst. Do you have dry eyes/nose as well?

No meds other than insulin. Only thing is a few years ago they told me that my thyroid was a little bit off but nothing to be worried about and it is something that is monitored when I get my bloodwork done.
  • conniedj
    Options
    HMMMMM.....What is a "little bit off"? High or low? Not sure? I would ask so that you know. Typically you should be having your TSH, T3 and T4 (both Total and Free) tested. If any value is off it can be an indicator. For example thirst is a symptom of hyperthyroid.....But that is just one issue!

Here is an article from a journal about the common coexistence of thyroid and Diabetes....if you're into reading this type of thing:
    http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jtr/2011/439463/