If you are not supposed to eat below your BMR...

Options
why does MFP set my calories at 1260. That is using Lightly active and 2 lbs per week weight loss. I still have 60 lbs left to lose, I'm 38 yo, 5'6" female and I was exercising an hour each day.

I have figured my BMR at 1730 and my TDEE is 2150 using an activity level calculator. If I take 20% off of 2150 and I get 1750. That is my BMR!!

I have been using TDEE-20% since the first of August. Averaging 1750 a day and not eating back exercise calories. My diary is open. I'm down 4 lbs since I started this, but I'm still not sold on it. Plus now I am injured and will be limited in my exercise for the next month or so and I was going to refigure my calories without exercise and eat them back when I do. I was thinking that I would just take 300 off my daily calories to count for lack of exercise but that would put me at 1450, way below BMR.

I'm really confused. Is eating below BMR such a no-no?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Because MFP does math, you supply the common sense.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Mokey wins the internet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

yeah...MFP is just a calculator.

Also, why are you not "sold" on the TDEE method...given that it would appear to be working and all. BTW...nothing magical about TDEE method...it's 6 of 1 to the MFP method if you do it right. TDEE - 20% is closer to a 1 Lb per weight loss goal...I bet if you set up MFP to lose 1 Lb per week instead of 2 and ate back exercise calories, they would be roughly equivalent to the gross calories you consume with TDEE - 20%. I know for me, this was most definitely the case.

this is all pretty basic math and science...not much you really need to be "sold" on unless you don't believe in math or the laws of thermodynamics.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I did the whole 1200 calories thing, and man - I became so dizzy and lightheaded it was horrible and it was all the time, didn't go until after a couple of days of upping calories! now i'm eating 20% below my TDEE, around 1600 calories a day, my BMR is 1350.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You set a 2 pounds per week weight loss goal. To do that, you need to have a 1000 calorie deficit each day. That's why MFP set your caloric goal where they did.

If you want to consume more calories, you need to change your weight loss goal to 1 pound per week. You will see MFP's caloric target rise.
  • Scienceteacher42
    Scienceteacher42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In order to lose 2 lbs per week the calculator is taking 7000 calories out of your diet each week, which means it is subtracting 1000 calories each day from your maintenance. If you don't want it to drop your calories by that much, change it to 1 lb per week so it is only subtracting 500 calories.
  • Funky_Mabel
    Funky_Mabel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My opinion your carbs are way to high, Start easing them down till your below 80 for the day and better yet below 50 if your body is cool with that. Plus you will find those 1200 calories more satisfying
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    The MFP setting can be explained by your choice to set it at 2lb loss a week. Set a more modest goal of 1lb a week and see how you get on.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You wont know your true BMR from any online calculator.

According to all calculators mine would be over 1300 cals, I had mine actually tested with the breathing machine and its 860! thats a significant difference!

You're body will tell you if your eating to little you'll feel like poopers.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You wont know your true BMR from any online calculator.

You're body will tell you if your eating to little you'll feel like poopers.

THIS ^^^
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Also, why are you not "sold" on the TDEE method...given that it would appear to be working and all. BTW...nothing magical about TDEE method...it's 6 of 1 to the MFP method if you do it right. TDEE - 20% is closer to a 1 Lb per weight loss goal...I bet if you set up MFP to lose 1 Lb per week instead of 2 and ate back exercise calories, they would be roughly equivalent to the gross calories you consume with TDEE - 20%. I know for me, this was most definitely the case.

this is all pretty basic math and science...not much you really need to be "sold" on unless you don't believe in math or the laws of thermodynamics.

I just went back into MFP setting and put in 1 lbs per week and it put me at 1760 cals a day so it matches. The only reason I'm not sold on it is in my own mind it's too many calories to lose weight. But it has been working so I won't change anything for now.
  • happycauseIride
    Options
    I did the whole 1200 calories thing, and man - I became so dizzy and lightheaded it was horrible and it was all the time, didn't go until after a couple of days of upping calories! now i'm eating 20% below my TDEE, around 1600 calories a day, my BMR is 1350.

I did the 1200 calorie thing too and felt like crap. I will never do that again. :)
  • happycauseIride
    Options
    My opinion your carbs are way to high, Start easing them down till your below 80 for the day and better yet below 50 if your body is cool with that. Plus you will find those 1200 calories more satisfying

I actually set my carbs at 45%, but the figures that were in there were MFP's numbers from me messing around with the calculator. I have no plans on eating 1200 calories. I put it back at 1750 now. :)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you eat below your BMR then you body will make up what it needs from its energy stores (fat). Most sources suggest that women should not eat fewer than 1200 calories a day without medical supervision, but I haven't seen any real research that proves that horrible things happen if you eat less than your BMR. Also, unless you get an expensive medical test to determine your actual metabolism, the BMR calculator is just estimating your calorie needs anyway--and based on weight, not percentage of fat/muscle, etc. If you have a greater percentage of fat than the average person, the BMR number you find could be too high.

I've been eating less than my BMR for several months now. Nothing horrible has happened. No hair loss. I have plenty of energy to exercise. I haven't had any uncontrollable binges. My weight loss hasn't stalled.

Eating below my BMR hasn't done anything bad, but losing some of the excess weight has improved my life immensely. I can now run twice as long as I could when I started. I have been able to completely stop my high blood pressure medication (with doctor approval). I have cut my anti-depressant in half. I love exercise now.

Bottom line...I don't think anything horrible will happen if you eat 1400 calories a day. You will probably continue to lose weight, even if you aren't able to exercise like you used to.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could try setting the exercise level on your TDEE calculation to 'sedentary' - see what it gives you?

Hope you're on the mend soon. :-)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I just went back into MFP setting and put in 1 lbs per week and it put me at 1760 cals a day so it matches. The only reason I'm not sold on it is in my own mind it's too many calories to lose weight. But it has been working so I won't change anything for now.

...but you are losing at a sustainable pace...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you eat below your BMR then you body will make up what it needs from its energy stores (fat). Most sources suggest that women should not eat fewer than 1200 calories a day without medical supervision, but I haven't seen any real research that proves that horrible things happen if you eat less than your BMR. Also, unless you get an expensive medical test to determine your actual metabolism, the BMR calculator is just estimating your calorie needs anyway--and based on weight, not percentage of fat/muscle, etc. If you have a greater percentage of fat than the average person, the BMR number you find could be too high.

I've been eating less than my BMR for several months now. Nothing horrible has happened. No hair loss. I have plenty of energy to exercise. I haven't had any uncontrollable binges. My weight loss hasn't stalled.

Eating below my BMR hasn't done anything bad, but losing some of the excess weight has improved my life immensely. I can now run twice as long as I could when I started. I have been able to completely stop my high blood pressure medication (with doctor approval). I have cut my anti-depressant in half. I love exercise now.

Bottom line...I don't think anything horrible will happen if you eat 1400 calories a day. You will probably continue to lose weight, even if you aren't able to exercise like you used to.

If you have a considerable amount to lose you can get away with not eating your BMR because it's based on a certain percentage of lean body mass. When you are obese it messes up the numbers because it's assuming a percentage of lean body mass that isn't there and you don't need the extra calories to feed the fat.

BMR becomes far more important the closer you get to being a normal weight. 1200 calories is a low end for a woman of normal weight to maintain body functions.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Win!
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options

The main problem with eating below ones BMR is that our brain cannot use fat stores and convert it to energy to run, it will use lean muscle mass. The brain uses more calories than one would think. If you continue to under feed long enough, you can lose significant amounts of lean muscle mass, lowering your metabolism and ending up looking flabby at one's goal weight.