Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help! Lower back & hand pain while lifting!

Hello, MFP! This post was also posted in the CLX group. But I really need advice!

I'm currently finishing up the first month of Chalean Extreme. For those not familiar, it's a compound weight lifting program ("go heavy or go home"). I love the program. I find myself lifting 22.5 lbs on most lower body exercises in my 4th week - started at 8 lbs. I'm definietly impressed with my progress. I love lifting heavy!

Here's my problem - my hands kill! I want to lift heavier, but my hands won't allow it. The weight is too great. They hurt. They cramp. They slip! It's beyond frustrating. My arms and legs have no qualms. I could easily go heavier, but my hands won't allow it! Has anyone else had this problem? Any remedies? Gloves? Hand strengthening workouts?? I use the Bowflex Selectech 552 adjustable weights.

Second problem - my back! Some of the exercises are too much for my lower back, especially deadlifts and bowler lunge with row. No matter how I align my body and back, my lower back hurts (I focus on keeping my back straight with tail bone up, hips back, slight lean forward). There's just this tension and strain on the base of my back. After the sets, my lower back even feels incredibly tight. Sometimes the discomfort is so great, I have to stop before the set is done. Anyone else in this boat? What did you do to overcome this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I want to keep lifting heavier, but this is really holding me back!

Edit: Typo.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I'm curious about whether anyone has found a solution to this too. I have chronic tendonitis in my hands.

P.S. If you're using good form on deadlifts, hinging at the hips, not in the back, and strongly engaging your glutes to move the weight, you can lift more without using your back. But if it hurts your back, then you need to respect your limits, and maybe do some work on your core.
  • Funky_Mabel
    Funky_Mabel Posts: 17 Member
    never work your back under fatigue. RECIPE FOR DISASTER. Take it slower than you think you should. Tendons and connective tissue take longer to condition than your muscles
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Here's my problem - my hands kill! I want to lift heavier, but my hands won't allow it. The weight is too great. They hurt. They cramp. They slip! It's beyond frustrating. My arms and legs have no qualms. I could easily go heavier, but my hands won't allow it! Has anyone else had this problem? Any remedies? Gloves? Hand strengthening workouts??

For which exercises? For pull exercises (deadlift being the primary if you're focusing on compound lifts) you have some options: 1, you can view hand strength as part of what you're building, and keep on trucking, or 2, you can use wrist straps that allow you to cinch directly to the bar. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em, but if you want to lift heavier and find that your hand strength is failing you, that's one way to do it.
    Second problem - my back! Some of the exercises are too much for my lower back, especially deadlifts and bowler lunge with row. No matter how I align my body and back, my lower back hurts (I focus on keeping my back straight with tail bone up, hips back, slight lean forward). There's just this tension and strain on the base of my back. After the sets, my lower back even feels incredibly tight. Sometimes the discomfort is so great, I have to stop before the set is done. Anyone else in this boat? What did you do to overcome this?

I would suggest you video yourself doing a deadlift and then ask for a form check. My initial thought, based upon your description, is that you might be curving in your lower back a bit too much -- I think a neutral spine position (especially in the lumbar area) is more natural for the movement. It's hard to say without seeing you do it.

Sorry I can't be of more help!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Someone else who's more of an expert may have better advice but in doing some research on improving my grip strength (ok really I just wanted bigger forearms) I read one of the easiest things to do was suitcase carries (sometimes called farmers walks I think). Basically take a heavy weight in each hand and walk. I use kettlebells but I see people do them with plates that have handles. I'm guessing dumbbells would work also but for some reason the feel of them vs the kettlebells bugged me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    For pull exercises (deadlift being the primary if you're focusing on compound lifts) you have some options: 1, you can view hand strength as part of what you're building, and keep on trucking, or 2, you can use wrist straps that allow you to cinch directly to the bar. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em, but if you want to lift heavier and find that your hand strength is failing you, that's one way to do it.

I should probably learn how to use straps. Developing grip strength is exactly what aggravates my hand injuries. Alas, doctors seem to think that all anyone ever needs to do is wash dishes and work at a computer.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    never work your back under fatigue. RECIPE FOR DISASTER. Take it slower than you think you should. Tendons and connective tissue take longer to condition than your muscles

I'm already moving really slow, as I follow along with the instructor in CLX - she always slows things down. But you may be right about the connective tissues. Even though my muscles want more weight, perhaps I should digress for now until the rest of me catches up. Thanks!
  • powerpuffgirl66
    I would suggest you video yourself doing a deadlift and then ask for a form check. My initial thought, based upon your description, is that you might be curving in your lower back a bit too much -- I think a neutral spine position (especially in the lumbar area) is more natural for the movement. It's hard to say without seeing you do it.

I have tried holding my spine in many different alignments. I know for sure it is not curved, but perhaps hyperextended with my attempt to keep my tailbone lifted (as is recommended by the instructor in CLX). I may reduce the weight for now for those exercises that cause my back to fatigue until it becomes stronger and better able to cope with the heavier weight.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    Someone else who's more of an expert may have better advice but in doing some research on improving my grip strength (ok really I just wanted bigger forearms) I read one of the easiest things to do was suitcase carries (sometimes called farmers walks I think). Basically take a heavy weight in each hand and walk. I use kettlebells but I see people do them with plates that have handles. I'm guessing dumbbells would work also but for some reason the feel of them vs the kettlebells bugged me.

I like your suitcase carries idea. I have adjustable dumbells, so I can slowly build up the weight and strength in my hands. I also picked up a pair of gloves to stop my hands from slipping. I figure that not having to fight to keep the bar from slipping may ease the strain on my grip. Fingers crossed!
  • powerpuffgirl66
    For pull exercises (deadlift being the primary if you're focusing on compound lifts) you have some options: 1, you can view hand strength as part of what you're building, and keep on trucking, or 2, you can use wrist straps that allow you to cinch directly to the bar. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em, but if you want to lift heavier and find that your hand strength is failing you, that's one way to do it.

I should probably learn how to use straps. Developing grip strength is exactly what aggravates my hand injuries. Alas, doctors seem to think that all anyone ever needs to do is wash dishes and work at a computer.

I picked up a pair of gloves to keep my hands from slipping (no straps though, as I use dumbells and not a bar). I feel like fighting from slipping causes additional strain and fatigue on my grip. I'll let you know if it helps!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    You are flirting with a major back injury if you keep doing deadlifts etc with your back feeling that way.

See a physician who specializes in sports medicine to find out just what's going on.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    You are flirting with a major back injury if you keep doing deadlifts etc with your back feeling that way.

See a physician who specializes in sports medicine to find out just what's going on.
    I second this wholeheartedly. I've been out of the gym for close to 4 months due to a back injury. See someone, go from there.
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Straps help me. After all in a lot of exercises you are attempting to strengthen another muscle not the grip.

Also, I found hand pain coming from my wrists. I bought some of those wrist supports that weight trainers and martial arts people use. They help a lot:

http://amzn.to/17UxXX8
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    I get lower back pain when running, and although it's not the same as lifting, my trainer told me to keep my core tight at all times while running. It does also help the residual pain in my back during my lifting sessions... maybe try tightening your core (suck your belly button into your spine). I wouldn't suggest going heavier until you're used to the difference a tightened core will make.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

I second this wholeheartedly. I've been out of the gym for close to 4 months due to a back injury. See someone, go from there.

I was out of the gym for a year and a half and still have back soreness and weakness issues thanks to a torn muscle.

Don't go there. Protect your back. The last thing you want to be is a young woman with back problems from a stupid injury.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

I was out of the gym for a year and a half and still have back soreness and weakness issues thanks to a torn muscle.

Don't go there. Protect your back. The last thing you want to be is a young woman with back problems from a stupid injury.

Another 'learn from my mistakes' story here. I hurt my back on a light warmup set of all things. Thankfully I was smart and stopped right away. Doctor still ordered rest for as long as it took to feel better, plus a week - with a minimum of two weeks. If I can do that with only 30 pounds on my shoulders, imagine what continuing through the pain with work-sets could have done.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    my only question would be how's your form? You have to be using proper form for deadlifts, squats etc or you can easily injure yourself