Excerise = Cardio Only?

2»

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Nvm.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    I enter my circuit training and log 1 cal burned. Well on leg day I go to 4 cals since I really hate leg day :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Thank you all for the quick responses. I did not notice the strength training option in the cardio section, I think I might use that. Being that it is "notoriously incarcerate" maybe I will drop it down by 100 calories.

So I am guessing I should keep the exercise setting at 3, and just add strength training into Cardio log on weights only days. I'll minus 100 calories since it is innacurate (@rudarbe is the inaccuracy too low or too high?), and move on from there.

Thanks again!!!

The exercise setting in the goals section does not change your calorie goal at all, that is why MFP add your exercise calories to your daily total--they are not already included.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I enter my circuit training and log 1 cal burned. Well on leg day I go to 4 cals since I really hate leg day :)
    HA!
    I will say "4" for an extra hard workout, LOL. I hate OverHead Presses, though. Sometimes hard OHP days get a burn of 4 calories.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    To count the calories for strength or circuit training... You can list the individual things you do under strength and post the calories burn under the cardio using circuit or strength training. If you use a fitbit or other HRM device you can add the calories or go with the preset on the default for the cardio listing under circuit or strength training. For instance, I can post all the exercises that I do on my Total Gym under strength training and I can post the time under cardio for the calorie burn... Good luck on all your fitness goals! Feel free to add me or message me if you have additional questions.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Oh boy. This question has just totally confused me. For now, I will use the MFP goal settings.

I believe your question is:

When I log my strength training under "strength training", why does that not increase my calorie goal?

The answer to that is that section is only for tracking your workouts, much like you might do at the gym when you write down your reps and sets and weight, so next time you remember what weight you were on for which exercises.

It does not count as calories burned unless you log it under the cardio section.
  • I'm doing pure cardio throughout the fall and winter. The stairmill is an absolute beast, I'm trying to do at least 30-45 minutes of some type of cardio each day. I mix it up between stairmill, cycling (stationary and outdoor), jogging, and elliptical training. On a good day I'll do 90 minutes and spread it 30 minutes between three of the machines. Or sometimes, I might just go for a 5 mile walk (2 hours).

I could go 90 minutes over 4 days, but I found that I got burnt out doing that and starting developing nagging injuries, particularly from the treadmill. I will say I got my best results (lost 25 lbs) from doing 90 minutes of cardio 4 days a week 2 days of strength training. But my time is limited between work and school now, so I enjoy the 30-45 minutes per day now.

I feel good.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I understood it to mean that weight training is not for weight loss. It is for muscle-building. That is to say, when you weight train, you do not work your heart rate up to a fat burning level like you would if you were doing cardio.

Disclaimer: This is just my interpretation, and I do not intend to pass myself off as any kind of expert.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Come measure my heart rate after lifting your weight 5x. Your heart rate definitely goes up with lifting, just not steady state for the duration like cardio.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Using MPF's gauges, I watch my calories and macros to create a healthy daily calorie deficit before exercise. If I exercise (most days of the week), I do not eat back those calories unless I am really hungry - then I will log the extra food I eat and not beat myself up about it. But if I am not eating back the calories, I give myself a pat on the back for extra hard work that day and getting to my goal that much faster. I am 50 years old and have lost 15 lbs since July 1st. (10 weeks). On weight training days, I still do some cardio anyway as a warm-up and I feel that gets me going to move faster through the whole weight workout - which can only be a positive, right? But for the most part, my focus right now is cardio 5-6 days per week with weights added on top of 2 of those days.
  • I went exclusively with weight training and I gained weight, but I actually felt good and reduced my waist line. And the extra pounds were of course a result of added muscle mass.

But for the fall and winter months, I'm going with cardio to avoid gaining more during the cabin fever months.
This discussion has been closed.