advice needed....stubborn pounds

Options
Hello all!

I am in desperate need of advice. My situation requires some explanation....I am 26 year old female. I am 5 ft 6 and 135lbs, probably a medium sized bone structure and reasonably muscular. I am extremely active runner and into fitness. I struggled with an eating disorder when I was in high school and although I recovered, I will be the first to admit that I still do not have a normal relationship with food. I thnk that my years of disordered eating have had a negative effect on my metabolism and I am very out of whack. I am trying to lose about ten pounds and no matter what I do, I cannot lose them. I eat probably around 800-1000 calories a day and I run about 10-12 miles a day as well as strength training 3+ days a week (I'm training for a marathon). My theory is that I am overtraining and under eating and that, along with my history, has caused my body to hang onto all food I put into it and store it. I've done all the traditional methods of getting through a plateau and losing weight and it just won't come off. I'd be happy to be at 125lbs and I think it would have a great effect for my marathon time as well. Any other recovered eating disorder chicks out there can relate?

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    My theory is that I am overtraining and under eating

Hey there,

I am NO expert but it does sound like it. Your metabolism could be just fine, your body could be just reacting to the lack of food.

I don't know. What I DO know is that it's REALLY good that you are so self-aware about your ED and are asking for advice and thinking of being more cautious.

As everyone else on here always says - you must net 1,200 calories to be safe and healthy.

Good luck to you! xx
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I want to know too :-)

I am 5'6" and 142 lbs, and you are already at my goal weight by the way, so...perspective for you. But when I was younger I dieted very harshly and think I did a lot of damage (I am 38 now). If I diet too harshly now, my metabolism just seems to shut down, and I feel horrible and plateau to boot. So I do relate to what you are saying. I am currently sticking with 1500 calories right now, and let me tell you I feel SO much better. So my question to you would be, given what you are eating and how hard you are training, do you feel okay or like poop on a stick? And isn't life about feeling good, too?

I think some people are going to come along and suggest that you eat more, so I will let them do that now.
  • phattothin
    Options
    you really should not eat less than 1,200 calories a day, try increasing it and see what happends. But your not even eatting enough to function normally during a normal sit-on-your-a** day. You require a minimum 1,200 cal just to think, and for your body to work. Maybe try going to a dietician.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Feed & nourish your body. Eat plenty of fruits, veggies, nuts, chicken & fish. Those things won't feel as heavy on your stomach. Try incorporating dairy & whole grains as well. Good luck