Weight Distribution

Options
So I have kind of a random question. I am a 5'5" female, starting weight 187lb, currently 183.5 (though my weigh in day is tomorrow so fingers crossed!). According to my BMI this puts me just into the obese weight range.
And while I know I'm definitely overweight and want to be healthier (ultimately 132lbs), I don't really see how I'm THIS far over the edge. I mean, I'm a very comfortable size 10. Is that really obese? If it is fine, I guess my perspective's just a little off.
I'm also a 36DD cup size and I'm curious how much of that weight is in my chest. I guess there's a way to find out but I have yet to go there. I also have pretty solid legs, not small but with little fat from years of softball and a love of walking everywhere.
Yea, that's it. Just curious what other people's opinions are about the whole BMI thing and if there's any comparable scales that take body type into account (ie athletes with large muscle mass).

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    UGH, I hate the words they use for the BMI calculator. I think Obese is the highest you can go right? You're at the bottom of that range....don't sweat it :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Body fat % is a much better measure of a healthy body, as bodybuilders would fall into the obese category and they are typically under 6% body fat. Use the scale below to judge where you really fall in the healthy body scale.

Female
    Athlete <17%
    Lean 17-22%
    Normal 22-25%
    Above Average 25-29%
    Overfat 29-35%
    Obese 35+%
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Obese is just a term. It doesn't necessarily mean whatever mental picture you have of morbidly obese people.

For example, I'm obese yet I'm probably fitter than a large percentage of people in the "overweight" or "normal" weight categories. BP is 106/59, heart rate is 54bpm. Yet I'm a solid 20 pounds into the "obese" category at 5'4" (and I'm not even quite 5'4") 195#. I'm a size 12.

It is what it is. I'm still carrying quite a bit of extra body fat. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm knocking at death's door due to my obesity (I'm smaller than the average American woman. :noway:).