Coconut Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Hits blood stream, no entry to digestive system.
    Good source of energy.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa23.htm
    No. These are digested in the GI track, then through the portal vain delivered to the liver, where it is then hits the mitochondria and then oxidized primarily for energy. There is no free ride, if your over your calorie limit, they will be stored just like any other fat, and if someone is in a deficit any fat consumed will be burned off, one way or the other.

Ok

I will go with the info I have read on the stuff.....
    But you may be right.
    This is were the confusion for you might lay.
    According to Dr. Laurie Cullen at the Women's Institute, when MCTs are absorbed into the blood stream, they bypass the digestion process that longer chain fats go through.

Re-read that statement.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't mean that it goes around the stomach....

My meaning was the process it goes through is different, and how it is processed it is taken up quicker.

Like I said in the other post, I think we are saying the same thing.. :smile:

all good
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yeah, I don't mean that it goes around the stomach....

My meaning was the process it goes through is different, and how it is processed it is taken up quicker.

Like I said in the other post, I think we are saying the same thing.. :smile:

all good
    It is a great energy source, especially if someone is low carbing.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Good source of energy.

No. These are digested in the GI track, then through the portal vain delivered to the liver, where it is then hits the mitochondria and then oxidized primarily for energy. There is no free ride, if your over your calorie limit, they will be stored just like any other fat, and if someone is in a deficit any fat consumed will be burned off, one way or the other.

Ok

But you may be right.

She's right, and you were close. The only place food can/should be absorbed is the intestines (save for tiny amounts absorbed via the mucus membranes), so all food you eat has to go through the GI tract. That said, the body can use the MCTs more efficiently, and they don't need to be broken down, so like fructose, they go straight to the liver for usage. This gives you quick energy. It's jet fuel, basically.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Good source of energy.

Ok

But you may be right.

She's right, and you were close. The only place food can/should be absorbed is the intestines (save for tiny amounts absorbed via the mucus membranes), so all food you eat has to go through the GI tract. That said, the body can use the MCTs more efficiently, and they don't need to be broken down, so like fructose, they go straight to the liver for usage. This gives you quick energy. It's jet fuel, basically.
    She's a he.:happy:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have not tried coconut oil, but I will.

For those of you who like coconut, have you tried the coconut frozen dairy desert? You can get it regular or no sugar added. I like the no sugar added, as the regular is way too sweet for me. French vanilla and chocolate are my favorites.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When I cook with it I don't taste coconut which is good cause I'm not a fan.

But my fave recipe with it is....warm the oil in pan, dice up some sweet potatoes, peppers, even tomatoes sometimes and cook them up. YUM! I have also added chicken, scrambled eggs, spinach, to this combo. Delish!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    She's a he.:happy:

lol, oops. :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    When I cook with it I don't taste coconut which is good cause I'm not a fan.

But my fave recipe with it is....warm the oil in pan, dice up some sweet potatoes, peppers, even tomatoes sometimes and cook them up. YUM! I have also added chicken, scrambled eggs, spinach, to this combo. Delish!

If you get the refined kind, you will not taste it.
    Unrefined will have the scent and slight taste......which I like that. :smile:
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is also really good for hair, just rub a bit in your palms and smooth through any frizz
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I find a certain irony to cooking egg whites in coconut oil, since you're removing the fats and cholesterol from the yolk only to add fats back in.

Any particular reason you're not doing whole eggs?
    It's the dreaded cholesterol and bad fat and..........

Egg yolks are high in several nutrients, many of which are fat soluble, so eating just whites may contribute to your protein numbers, but at a cost if you're lacking in any of the nutrients that the yolks contain.

Dietary cholesterol is not the problem is has been portrayed for so long as for the vast majority of people. You body will make cholesterol if it feels it needs it regardless of cutting it out of your diet. Unless you're at the total high range for cholesterol, the food intake portion in reasonable amounts doesn't pose any problems.

Saturated fat is another overblown threat. After all these years of studies, there is no real correlation between either cholesterol or saturated fat and heart disease. Roughly half of the people with heart disease don't have high cholesterol or high sat fat diets. A 50/50 chance is not a correlation. It's like saying touching your nose before you flip a coin will make it far more likely to come up heads, but not touching your nose first also has the same results in coming up heads.

Heart disease and circulatory problems are now known to be the result of chronic inflammation. Cholesterol is a reaction of the body to patch over inflammation in the blood vessels, so that plaque buildup is the body trying to restrict and repair the inflammation. It's like blaming band-aids for getting too many cuts. Purge your house of band aids and you'll get less cuts, right? Reducing the sources of the inflammation so your body can recover instead of being in a constant state of inflammation is what doctors need to really be concerned with, but that wasn't what they learned back in Medical School and change in habits and the AMA takes a while. It took fifty years before anesthetic was finally accepted to be routinely used in surgeries. Big ships like the AMA and government health agencies take a long time to turn around .
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great stuff. Unrefined pure coconut oil has high levels of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) and anti-microbial properties. It's unfortunate it got such a bad reputation as a saturated fat all these years that it didn't deserve.

It also tastes great. It does have a lower smoke point than many cooking oils, so it's not good for deep frying, but really great for cooking eggs and sauteing. Tempering it with a little vegetable oil to raise the smoke point a bit makes the best tasting popcorn ever. Just add salt and you have a great whole grain and good fat healthy snack that isn't that high in calories.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Coconut oil is great stuff. Unrefined pure coconut oil has high levels of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) and anti-microbial properties. It's unfortunate it got such a bad reputation as a saturated fat all these years that it didn't deserve.

It also tastes great. It does have a lower smoke point than many cooking oils, so it's not good for deep frying, but really great for cooking eggs and sauteing. Tempering it with a little vegetable oil to raise the smoke point a bit makes the best tasting popcorn ever. Just add salt and you have a great whole grain and good fat healthy snack that isn't that high in calories.
    I deep fry with unrefined coconut oil with no problems, just did some zucchini flowers stuffed with goat cheese and herbs, but it does need to be watched because like you say it has a lower smoke point.

To add:

http://www.apccsec.org/CORD_ABSRTRACTS/Vol_23_1_2007/Assessment of the stability....pdf
    Cord
    (1)
    Assessment of the stability of virgin coconut oil during deep-frying
    J.M.N. Marikkar
    , J.M.M.A. Jayasundara
    , S.A.H. Prasadika
    , C.V.L. Jayasinghe
    , and
    G.A.S. Premakumara
    Abstract
    Virgin coconut oil (VCO) is a unique product out of coconut. Since there is a growing market for VCO in the international trade, information on the frying stability would be useful for producers, traders and end-users. A study was conducted to compare the frying stability of VCO with those of ordinary coconut oil (CNO) and refined corn oil (CO). Each oil sample was placed separately in an electrically operated open fat fryer and heated at 180C for a period of 8 h. During frying, samples were withdrawn from the fryer at specified time intervals to monitor the changes in free fatty acid (FFA) content, peroxide value (PV), total polar compound (TPC) and anisidine value (AnV) using standard test methods. Experimental results showed that there was a tendency for the increase of FFA, PV, TPC, and AnV of all three oils. However, the values of these parameters corresponding to VCO were found to be lowest through out the 8 h frying operation. Since TPC is used as a reference parameter to determine the rejection point of frying oils, prediction models were developed for TPC using simple regression
    analysis. Based on the prediction models, the rejection points of VCO, CNO, and CO were found to be13.45, 10.95, and 10.25, respectively.