Feeling VERY intimidated by Zumba

Options
Okay, I sucked it up and have joined a Zumba class being offered by my work, after work.
I am SO stressing out about this class because I know it involves exercise with dance, and I CANNOT dance. Not a single bone in my body has any rhythm. I guess I should just be happy with the fact that I will be moving and burning calories, but all I can think about is the "dance" part of it.

I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and do something different, normally I would do the circuit training.

Anyone else intimidated by this stuff?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I took a Hip Hop cardio class for awhile, and absolutely loved it. There were people of all shapes and sizes. I am the original Awkward White Girl, and if anyone laughed at me, it was not to my face. ;) I am seriously all limbs, and even though I have some dance training, I know I look ridiculous shaking my *kitten*. I'm sure there was judgment silently by some people, probably me as well, that's just life, but the whole vibe of the class was beat and fun. I feel like Zumba would be the same. Go, have fun and shake what your mama gave ya!
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem every time I go out clubbing. After a few drinks I become the best dancer there. YMMV
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Don't worry at all. Most Zumba classes are very inviting places. No one cares if you can't dance or don't know the steps. Just keep moving and enjoy yourself.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better we laugh equally at all the zumba dancers and not just the ones that cant dance when they hold their workouts at our gym.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    If it makes you feel better we laugh equally at all the zumba dancers and not just the ones that cant dance when they hold their workouts at our gym.

Ahh yes. Let's criticize people for chosing an exercise other than yours...there's a new concept....:yawn:
  • GMcknight8
    Options
    We're all so focused on the instructor, no one is looking at anyone else. It's about moving not a dance competition. Give it a whirl! I'm proud of you that you're trying it out. Who knows it might not be for you. I tend to burn between 600-700 cals in the class, so it's well worth it for me. Dancers not required :) Good luck!
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There is a lady in my Zumba class that has been going for at least a year. She's still off beat but I love it because she's still there, still rocking it, still having a blast. Enjoy yourself and just have fun! Keep your eyes on the instructor, and start with the leg movements, and then once you have those down, add the arms. I feel like I'm a pretty darn good dancer and after my first class I highly doubted my dancing skills. I still feel like an idiot during a couple moves, but we all laugh at ourselves so it's all good!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i'm really shy but i did classes before it so much fun. i can't dance to save my life but just try following the instructor even if you fall be hind on the moves you wont be a lone. have and no one in the class noticess there to busy trying to keep up
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone!! I did the same thing last year, and felt the same way. Anything "dancing" is just awful for me mentally. But you know what? Most people in the class are similarly situated, or have been. There may be people at all stages of their fitness journey, but anyone who has been where you are will be judging you only in *positive* ways for putting yourself out there, and anyone who hasn't will either be too wrapped up in having fun with their dancing or needs to be working harder! :laugh: (Secretly I know those people are going to get their comeuppance someday, by getting injured, ill, or something like that, so that the universe can teach them compassion.:bigsmile: )

Please just go and have fun, get comfortable jankin' around like an idiot (because life's too short to take yourself too seriously), and also, pretty soon you will feel like you are flying! Enjoy the music, enjoy being goofy, enjoy working up a heckuva sweat, and enjoy the feeling of being alive!
  • SusanKKO
    SusanKKO Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've taken a lot of different Zumba classes with different instructors and they varies how "dance-y" they are based on the instructor. I have a dance background, but I really prefer the ones that are easier to follow because you are actually doing the steps and burning calories rather than spending a lot of time trying to get your body roll, or whatever intricate motion it is, to look like the instructor's. Just have fun and don't worry about what you look like! You'll be burning calories!
  • mrsduke2924
    mrsduke2924 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey - I felt just like you do!

But... I do like dancing, so I practiced a bit with the wii version (in the privacy of my living room lol) and now I know the basics am going to a local class. Everyone is really friendly and welcoming and you'll soon find you're enjoying yourself rather than feeling like you're excercising, or like everyone's looking - you'll all be too busy watching the instructor throw their shapes.

Zumba may not be everyone's idea of a hardcore workout - but I was mostly sedentary before joining MFP and getting my butt in gear, and so in my book anything that gets you active, heart rate going and feeling good about putting in the effort is worth a shot. I'm a total convert.

Good luck - and enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • rometanguyen
    rometanguyen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ohhh... I know how you feel... BUT turns out I love zumba...... It doesn't matter that I cant dance, but I have so much fun and I enjoy my time, the hour goes so fast and I am burning calories. Keep it up!
  • jasminethomas93
    Options
    Once the music starts I'm sure you'll be fine! Everyone has so much fun that you don't take the "dance" part seriously. It's about enjoying yourself and having fun while burning the calories so no one will judge you! Have a good time at your class :)
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I went once. Hated it. Got laughed at. Yes to my face. Won't go again. HOWEVER, when I whine to my friends they are shocked. This is not how any of them have felt. No one else has been laughed at. (Even my very white girl friend who found herself in an all-Hispanic zumba class, they all thought it was great and tried to help her out) So, while I understand your stress and intimidation, don't worry. In you don't like it, just try something else, spinning or something. I now do stuff on my Wii at home.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and do something different, normally I would do the circuit training.

Once you get comfy with the Zumba stuff, can I persuade you to step out of your comfort zone and pick up a barbell? :bigsmile:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I went once. Hated it. Got laughed at. Yes to my face. Won't go again. HOWEVER, when I whine to my friends they are shocked. This is not how any of them have felt. No one else has been laughed at. (Even my very white girl friend who found herself in an all-Hispanic zumba class, they all thought it was great and tried to help her out) So, while I understand your stress and intimidation, don't worry. In you don't like it, just try something else, spinning or something. I now do stuff on my Wii at home.
    Boy, that sure sucks. I would encourage you to try again at some other location sometime. Being silly together as a group is one of the best things about Zumba class. I've even felt that feeling in a class full of young, perfect-bodied college girls!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    When I went to my first (and second, and third...) Zumba class the instructor put a huge emphasis on movement. She had some complicated steps that some of us were nowhere close to getting. She told us all to keep moving as best as we could, the point was to move, not to have the best tango.

It worked too. I was sweating up a storm and having a great time!
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Boy, that sure sucks. I would encourage you to try again at some other location sometime. Being silly together as a group is one of the best things about Zumba class. I've even felt that feeling in a class full of young, perfect-bodied college girls!

Thinking about it, just hard to get up motivation after a bad time
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I look my Zumba up on youtube and learn that way.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Okay, I sucked it up and have joined a Zumba class being offered by my work, after work.
    I am SO stressing out about this class because I know it involves exercise with dance, and I CANNOT dance. Not a single bone in my body has any rhythm. I guess I should just be happy with the fact that I will be moving and burning calories, but all I can think about is the "dance" part of it.

Just have fun with it! You'll feel the beat of the music and the energy in the room, and just go with it. I've seen some older women who get down and some not so much, but I smile because they are trying. Good luck and have fun!! Don't over think it :flowerforyou: