What exercise did you do while pregnant?

Options
I just recently found out that I am expecting baby #3. This was a complete surprise!

I have increased my calories from 1200 to 1600 and I asked the doctor's office when scheduling my appt about continuing my exercise. The receptionist told me that I can continue with any exercise program I have been doing but it isn't recommended to start anything new.

I have been crazy active so I will probably tone it down a bit - like skip Heavy lifting and Body Combat. I still plan on doing a spin class a week and running a few times. I would like to still do Body Pump -at least for a little while. Has anyone done BodyPump during a pregnancy?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I haven't done BodyPump, so I can't give you any advice there.
    But I did keep doing what I was doing until it became too uncomfortable. With weights, pushups, planks, etc., I lightened things up when I struggled, but kept doing them well into my third trimester. I continued practicing martial arts until about 38 weeks. After that, everything was too uncomfortable! I just walked those last three weeks.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    There was a lady in my Body Pump class who was still pumping 5 days before her due date!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sex
    lots of it
    then you do not have to worry about getting pregnant
    ha ha ha ha
  • Resa001
    Resa001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Prenatal yoga
    Lots of walking
  • beckhole69
    beckhole69 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sleeping
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Very good friend of mine is a Body Pump and RPM instructor and had 3 babies.

She taught RPM until 7 months and Pump until about 4 weeks before birth on each occasion.

Paula Radcliffe carried on running until she was almost full term.

Most depends on what you're used to pre-pregnancy.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to monitor your heart rate. While pregnant it should not go above a certain level otherwise you are working too hard and taking oxygen and nutrients from the baby. Check with you doctor about this.

When I was pregnant, I walked ... and walked ... and walked ... a lot.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You can keep doing what you did before you found out. Ask your doctor about your current programs.

I had some favorites while pregnant with all 4 but today's not TMI Tuesday :wink:
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to monitor your heart rate. While pregnant it should not go above a certain level otherwise you are working too hard and taking oxygen and nutrients from the baby. Check with you doctor about this.

When I was pregnant, I walked ... and walked ... and walked ... a lot.

Me too. Walked SO MUCH!
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As a doula, I recommend all my moms walk...lots of walking! I'd also recommend doing prenatal yoga and bellydancing. I was taking bellydancing and Zumba (modified a bit) until the day before I gave birth. Bellydancing supposedly has it's roots as a labor dance, helping the baby and mother move as needed for a smooth and less painful birth. It strengthens your stomach and back muscles which will help you when it's time to push.

I'd skip on any heavy weight lifting, twisting of your torso during yoga, anything that drops your head below your waist and anything that has you lying flat on your back. The point is to keep active for as long as it's comfortable. Labor is a marathon and women who keep themselves as fit as they can typically do better during labor.

Congrats and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    sex
    lots of it
    ha ha ha ha

^^ This... I considered it my sacred obligation to get her perineum ready for delivery.
  • bstevens87
    Options
    I like doing Fit & Firm Pregnancy with Denise Austin. Yes she's a bit annoying in the workouts, but the workouts are effective and I enjoy them. I also follow a healthy eating plan (lots of clean eating) that is based with a Beachbody Challenge that my husband is doing. If your interested in checking out his next Beachbody Challenge it starts September 24, 2013 and lasts for 30 days.

His facebook page is : https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/jeffstevensbeachbody

Just having the accountability and structured fitness program has helped me keep a lot of the extra pounds off and also kept me healthy. I strongly recommend trying a challenge.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I did aerobics classes geared toward pregnancy. I played volleyball weekly until i was about 6 months pregnant, no diving of course.Although my babies are 14 & 16 :-) My friend just had a baby she played competitive volleyball with doctors permission until she was about 6 months. I dont know your situation, but some cardio should be ok.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There was a lady in my Body Pump class who was still pumping 5 days before her due date!

I am wondering how she could manage the clean and press over her belly... ;)

I know you aren't supposed to be flat on your back after the 4th month. Did she elevate her stepper somehow?
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of the responses. It makes me feel better that I can continue with most of my routine. I know there will be a point that I have to slow down and my body will tell me.

I will definitely do lots of walking...we take a family walk every night already...but I just count walking in my daily activity. It has never really been enough for me in terms of exercise.
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    sex
    lots of it
    ha ha ha ha

^^ This... I considered it my sacred obligation to get her perineum ready for delivery.

Such a beautifully selfless gift to her. If only more men were willing to sacrifice more for their pregnant wives!:tongue: