Calorie Counting Obsessed?

Options
2»

Replies

• morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You don't owe anyone an explanation! "No thanks. I'm good," should be enough.

That's my approach.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I guess, "I'm just not that hungry" could be a good reason, also.

I really wasn't that hungry, either.

Holy crap. I wasn't hungry, and I didn't eat a ton to feel satiated! Woohoo! :)
  • mrst17
    Options
    with%2Blove%2Bblog.jpg
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Darn cookie pushers :noway:

Yes. I always think (jokingly, of course) that it's a secret conspiracy of the skinny people to keep the fat people fat! haha!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well there sure a lot of them here.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    As for the person whose significant other made the "healthy people don't count calories" remark...unfortunately, our relationship with food isn't completely healthy which is why we're calorie counting and weighing/measuring food--to be able to really understand what proper portions look like and to make reasonable choices to be a "normal, healthy" person, right?

Yup, exactly. That's along the lines of things I've said to him in the past. He knows how much I CAN eat on days that I don't care about portions (which is typically 1 day a weekend- I still log, I just know I'm going over) so I think he's starting to understand why I have to pay closer attention. I can very easily eat as much, or more, than he can. And I'm at a normal weight, so that's saying something... lol.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    lol @ 'damn cookie pushers' :bigsmile:
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I was pencil thin until my mid 20s and must admit I was ignorant about what's involved in losing weight - until you're over weight, it's really hard to relate to calorie restriction... If you've explained what's going on to your friends (and they are genuinely your friends), they'll catch on. Or not...some people are genetically predisposed to being rude. :wink:
  • bestjuneever
    bestjuneever Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always get people trying to make me stuff my face at work with all the junk they bring. I always tell them how I don't know how it was made so I don't know the calories and then I'd have to sacrifice this and blah blah blah. Then they just look at me like I'm crazy.

SOOOO now I just say I'm fine thanks. Eventually when I get months into my diet I'm sure they will get the picture.
  • cpunch59
    Options
    I know I seem obsessed and those close to me have gotten used to waiting at resturants while I look things up and make choices. Those that don't know -- well I just say it's how I've been successful and that's all that matters.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the need to mention anything about calories or calorie counting. I just say no thank you and it pretty much ends there.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My best friend went on a mini vacation with me and told me I was obsessed with calories...OCD, she said. She said almost every sentence I used had the word calories in it. So, maybe I AM a bit obsessed, but in the last 7 months I've dropped 30 pounds at a healthy rate and am KEEPING it off.

I thought my use of the word calorie was meant to be inspiring, not annoying. I want to be an inspiration, and by doing so, I feel I have to educate. Oh well...

I've just learned to keep my mouth shut.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    These are the exact same people who will see you eating a cookie some day .. a cookie that you planned and budgeted for .. and will tell you you shouldn't be eating cookies. or give you the ol' "I thought you were watching what you eat".

I usually find a simple "naaaah, I'm good" works just fine. I don't get into discussions about what I'm doing or how. Unless people ask.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I haven't mentioned to anyone I track on this site, instead I tell them I'm trying to eat healthier and have cut back on processed sugars / carbs. At that point they just look at me rather oddly. :)

For the most part this is me. I've been on MFP for 15 months and I don't share that fact with friends or family.
    I also never told people I was starting a "diet" or that I was even trying to lose weight.
    As the pounds came off and people noticed, I merely told them I was watching what I eat.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i do eat a lot..so on most occasions i get the opposite look "Are you even trying to lose weight?" LOL
    But i get a lot of such comments from my mom on my workout planning. I hardly workout 4 hours a week..just 4 and i do it after a lot of planning. I choose classes based on my work schedule and also i want to spend most time i can with my toddler. Just looking at my planning, my mom calls me obsessed. I just smile and ignore !
  • nerakma
    nerakma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No-one in the 'real world' knows I am tracking what I eat. I didn't have a great deal of weight to lose and i carry a bit of extra weight well (or dress it well maybe), if I said I wanted to lose a bit of weight to people I know they would immediately ask why and be astounded. I therefore find myself using a lot of excuses like I am full from breakfast/lunch/snacks, I don't want to spoil my appetite for dinner later, or that I am more of a savoury person (true). The last one works a treat as they already kmow I am a fussy eater - don't like cream, pastries, anything with fruit in it (I like fruit in it's natural form), nuts and chocolate combination, etc, etc