Cooked pasta question

Options
I am making dinner for my boyfriend tonight, and I'd like to avoid cooking 2 separate batches of pasta. I wanted to see if anyone knew how much a dry 2oz serving of Penne weighs AFTER cooking?

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    why exactly do you need to know the weights after it has soaked up a bunch of water? the nutrition guidelines are based on DRY pasta.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    are you making the whole box? if so....let's say it's an 8oz package. half of what you made is 4 oz. half of that is 2oz.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Weigh the pasta as a whole before cooking. Boil it. Then weigh the whole batch after you drain it. Then take the ratio you want and convert it downward.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    *cues Final Jeopardy music*

What is cook 4 oz of dry pasta, and then divide the post cooking weight by 2, Alex?
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're asking, and I think it would make more sense to measure it after and enter it as cooked pasta, which is going to be pretty similar across brands etc and is in the database. For me, that would be close enough.

Or you could measure it before and after and, as long as you go with some sort of ratio, you should be able to figure it out (if you put 6oz of dry pasta in the pot then you get 1/3 of that for your plate)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    why exactly do you need to know the weights after it has soaked up a bunch of water? the nutrition guidelines are based on DRY pasta.

Because she's making more than one serving and is trying to figure out the best way to divide after it has been cooked.

OP - measure out your servings. In this case, if you are making 2 servings, measure out 4oz dry. (record as 2oz dry for your share/diary)

Then, after cooking, weigh the whole thing (after drained, of course), and then split that # in half to figure out how much should be on each plate.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

I recognize that. That's why I asked for how much 2oz DRY weighs after cooking, so that I know I am getting the correct portion.
    Weigh the pasta as a whole before cooking. Boil it. Then weigh the whole batch after you drain it. Then take the ratio you want and convert it downward.

I'm a bit inept when it comes to math/conversions.

This is the serving information (below). What would the ratio be to take from the cooked pasta, so I know I'm only taking one serving?

Serving Size: 2oz (56g) Dry Uncooked
    Servings per Container: About 6

Sorry, that probably sounds like a really dumb question. :ohwell:

EDIT. Just kidding- I think this answers it:
    Or you could measure it before and after and, as long as you go with some sort of ratio, you should be able to figure it out (if you put 6oz of dry pasta in the pot then you get 1/3 of that for your plate)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

This is what I do. When I make pasta for my husband and I, I weigh it dry beforehand. He doesn't usually want more than a serving anyway (and we fluff it up with lots of veggies), but we weigh it afterward to make sure it's split evenly.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    i do this all the time for my girlfriend and I.

Weigh out 4 oz dry > cook >weigh final product > divide by 2 > feast
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    I feel like a total dummy now after reading these answers, lol. Oh well. Seems simple enough! :smile:
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I recognize that. That's why I asked for how much 2oz DRY weighs after cooking, so that I know I am getting the correct portion.

I'm a bit inept when it comes to math/conversions.

This is the serving information (below). What would the ratio be to take from the cooked pasta, so I know I'm only taking one serving?

Serving Size: 2oz (56g) Dry Uncooked
    Servings per Container: About 6

Sorry, that probably sounds like a really dumb question. :ohwell:

EDIT. Just kidding- I think this answers it:

If you cook the whole thing divide the post boil weight by 6 (the number of servings per container).
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    All of the above (e.g. weigh before and after, divide after by # of servings, enjoy). Since I make pasta for multiple meals at one time, I just cook the whole 1# box and only have to weigh the 'after'. I know the NI for the whole box, so I just divvy the 'after' by the number of servings (usually 5 or 7). As for my sauce, I create a recipe in MFP to add all the ingredients, weigh the 'after' and let MFP do the math for me.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i'm confused...

what's the speed of the east bound train and when did it leave the station?

i think this information is missing. :huh:
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    i'm confused...

:laugh:
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    i'm confused...

Ooo Ooo pick me!!
    219 mph and it left at 3:24 a.m.!!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's about the only thing I just do with measuring cups. It's just a pain with 4 of us who never eat a consistent portion.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *peeks in at thread*

/slams door
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I feel like a total dummy now after reading these answers, lol. Oh well. Seems simple enough! :smile:

Not at all! This can be confusing when you first start. If you don't ask, how will you learn?

Enjoy your date! :smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    I am making dinner for my boyfriend tonight, and I'd like to avoid cooking 2 separate batches of pasta. I wanted to see if anyone knew how much a dry 2oz serving of Penne weighs AFTER cooking?
    Approx 1 cup.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    i'm confused...

Is that an African east bound train, or European?