Thanks for the post
  • luvmylabz
    luvmylabz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I was wondering about that. Here's another question. With weight loss calculation does it take into account things like cooking and housework calorie burns? I see it listed in exercise, but was assuming a certain amount of general calorie burn with general daily activities is figured in. Does eating back exercise calories keep you from hitting plateaus??

I do not count cooking and general housework as exercise but I do count cleaning (the vacuuming the floor and dusting the shelves kind) because I only do it once every couple of weeks and I do get my heart working when I do it. I set my general activity level according to what I do most days. I have a fitbit and do not eat back the "incidental" calories I get from it but I do eat back about half of my workout calories.

Regarding the estimated calorie burn on MFP, I take a water exercise class 3 x a week. When I get home, I sync my fitbit and it typically gives me 200-250 extra calories. When I enter the class in MFP, it gives me a little over 300 calories. In this one case, MFP seems to be overestimating by about half again so eating 1/2 to 2/3 of the extra calories seems to be a good place to be.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a bit confused at the moment and have a few questions but first I'll tel you a bit about my journey. I started dieting January this year i weighed 196lbs my goal is around 155lbs I'm male and 5,9. At first i i used a simple equation of 10-12 calories per lb of total body weight, i went for 10 which gave me a total of 1960 calories per day. I exercised not strictly but whenever i could half hour jog in the morning half hour walk at night etc to start with and lost 2/3 lbs per week and every time i lost weight i re adjusted my calories like when i got to 180 lbs i ate 1800 calories per day. Cut a long story short whilst being in the 170s my weight loss have slowed down tremendously and I've continued to adjust calories to the point where my calories are going down but my weight isn't I'm hovering around the 174/172lbs mark I'm eating around 1500-1560 calories per day I'm walking and swimming most days, i swim for and hour and walk for up to 2 hours (cant jog at the moment as i have a back injury).

Questions
    1. Am i eating too few calories?
    2. Am i exercising enough?
    3. Ive heard about NET calories and i understand to a certain extent but say for example my net is 1650 and i burn 350 does that mean i should eat 2000? If that's the case why cant i just eat 1650 and sit on my butt?
    4. Cant you just eat say for me 1720 per day which is 10 kcals per total body weight and exercise whenever you can, the more the better obviously?

Thanks

1800 is generally considered a minimum for males, like 1200 is considered a minimum for females. Yes, net calories would mean you eat 2000. If you are set to "lose 2 pounds per week" then you should set it to 1 pound per week, because you are only about 20 pounds from goal weight. 2 pounds per week is for those who have a lot more weight to lose. This should give you a more reasonable calorie goal.
  • MarieMilly
    MarieMilly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you. I was feeling soooo dumb as I could not "get it" and have also been experiencing same symptoms . Thank you again the light as finally gone on. I can now take reassess and make better weight/eating decisions.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Garmin Vivo daily (Garmin's FitBit equivalent), and averaging 15,000 steps per day. The calorie calculation says that my calorie burn average around 1,500 calories per day.

My MFP calorie allotment is 1,300 calories per day.

Should I be eating back those 1,500 calories? It seems a little crazy to eat 2,800 calories per day...so I must be not getting this.

Thanks!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Garmin Vivo daily (Garmin's FitBit equivalent), and averaging 15,000 steps per day. The calorie calculation says that my calorie burn average around 1,500 calories per day.

My MFP calorie allotment is 1,300 calories per day.

Should I be eating back those 1,500 calories? It seems a little crazy to eat 2,800 calories per day...so I must be not getting this.

Thanks!
    If your activity level is not set to account for those steps per day, and if you believe the calorie burn calculated by your Garmin is accurate, then yes. As some have indicated earlier in the thread, it's somewhat common for folks to choose to eat back a good-sized proportion of their calculated calorie burns (say, 50 - 75%), rather than all of the calories, to account for overly optimistic burn results.
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    As a male, I believe the lowest you should be at is 1,800 calories per day. Your problems likely are a direct result of being too low over a period of several days. When I was actively losing, I did not eat back my calories unless on the rare occasion I was very hungry. My calorie goal was initially set at 1,200 calories. I noticed if I ate under that, MFP would give the warning but if I ate 1,200 calories and only netted 900 calories, MFP does not give the warning. That leads me to think that some are taking the daily calorie recommendations to mean the daily net minimum when in fact it is just the daily minimum. At any rate, I reached my goal weight then went under by 2 lb for a BMI of 20.9. I am currently toying with going to the low end of my healthy range for a BMI just over the recommended low of 18.9. I still am not eating back exercise calories. I have experienced none of the problems you did, my health markers are good, and I've had considerably reduced symptoms in my chronic illnesses. I do take a multitude of dietary supplements, none for weight loss so they definitely weigh into the equation. This isn't a one shoe fits all. Yes, you had problems but not everyone does and not everyone needs to eat back all of their exercise calories.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As a man, you should be shooting for a Net Calorie Goal of about 1800. I'll let the men chime in on this, but 1200 would be a minimum for a smallish woman.

Plus, with only 20 pounds to lose, you should be set at "Lose 1/2 pound per week."

You'll still lose weight. You'll feel MUCH better. Maybe that is a later chapter in your book, or maybe you haven't "gotten" that part yet.

^ this, I agree with this comment. ( I don't remember where I read that is 1200 minimum for woman and 1500 minimum for men.)
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zenrunner1
    zenrunner1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I think the calories calculated for my exercise are too low. I have a hard time believing that a 5k run only burns 320 cal but if I put my time and pace in that's all MFP gives me.

Actually, that sounds about right. A good estimate is 100 calories per mile - it will vary some depending on your weight, level of fitness, and the intensity of the run - but it will be close to this most of the time for most people.
  • Chloe160387
    Options
    Thank you, your post has been very helpful! :happy: I hope you are feeling better now.
  • dianefisher1947
    dianefisher1947 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump..need to read this later
  • piezanno
    piezanno Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think what happens is if you don't get the right amount of calories and nutrients, your body will adjust and lower your metabolism. So I think you are right, you may have to "eat back" some of your exercise cals.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post. I fall into the camp of not eating back my calories. I gross around 1800 calories a day. I'll go to 2000 on heavy workout days and not feel bad though. BMR is around 1775 or so. Tdee is closer to 2900. I am very accurate in my food measuring as well.

I feel like a million bucks though. And I'm seeing consistent results. I still. Have a bit more than you to go though, so that probably plays a part.

I also don't really trust the caloric burn on any chart or app I've seen so far.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As a male, I believe the lowest you should be at is 1,800 calories per day. Your problems likely are a direct result of being too low over a period of several days. When I was actively losing, I did not eat back my calories unless on the rare occasion I was very hungry. My calorie goal was initially set at 1,200 calories. I noticed if I ate under that, MFP would give the warning but if I ate 1,200 calories and only netted 900 calories, MFP does not give the warning. That leads me to think that some are taking the daily calorie recommendations to mean the daily net minimum when in fact it is just the daily minimum. At any rate, I reached my goal weight then went under by 2 lb for a BMI of 20.9. I am currently toying with going to the low end of my healthy range for a BMI just over the recommended low of 18.9. I still am not eating back exercise calories. I have experienced none of the problems you did, my health markers are good, and I've had considerably reduced symptoms in my chronic illnesses. I do take a multitude of dietary supplements, none for weight loss so they definitely weigh into the equation. This isn't a one shoe fits all. Yes, you had problems but not everyone does and not everyone needs to eat back all of their exercise calories.
    Also well said. I'm a firm believer (and this may not jibe with the chosen views around here) that the food you take into your body is extremely important. The 1800 calories I eat have nearly no filler. Very very little processed food. I don't know if my diary is accessible, but I would think it is.

I'm in the camp that thinks as long as you aren't hungry, aren't letting your workouts suffer, and aren't slipping into "starvation mode", then eat less, work out more, and let the weight come off quickly.
  • kittykatfarquhar
    Options
    I eat back almost all the exercise calories. I burn around 450-500 calories a day doing an 8km walk. I have my calorie goal set at 1530 per day(which is 1000 less calories than what my body naturally uses each day, I aim for a 7000 deficit each week) but I aim to keep it at 1290 NET calories per day. So really I am eating around 1700 calories a day. This is my 7th week and I've lost over 7kg so far. Last time I lost weight I gained it all back. I was making the mistake of not eating enough calories (NET of less than 1290) so it was harder to maintain. YOU NEED TO HAVE NET CALORIES OF AT LEAST 1200! Your body needs calories to survive! I would suggest at least eat half of them back if not all.

Great article here:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/
  • calliegirl73
    calliegirl73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

If you set yourself to a proper activity level then you shouldn't need to log cooking and cleaning, it should be included in daily life. Realistically, the only people who should probably log that are people who are truly sedentary who barely move for whatever reason. Or if you set it for sedentary and you really are not.

Eating back exercise calories may make plateaus less. But there are a lot of other better reasons why it is smart.

How I read this.. "If you set yourself to a proper activity level then you shouldn't need to be cooking and cleaning"

how i wish...

But seriously, I don't eat back my calories. I am very small 4' 10" and have been told not to go above 1000 calories, but i go about 1,200.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I found my happy place. I set my activity for sedentary and my goal for 1 lb a week. I eat back about 1/2 of calories earned both from targeted activity and my fitbit steps (which is where cleaning, etc. comes in) and I have been averaging about 1.5 lb a week loss.