Starting The UpDayDownDay Diet... Anyone Try this?

Options
as9026
as9026 Posts: 8
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hellooo All! So I had been using my Fitness Pal almost religiously about 2 years ago and I lost a good amount of weight. Sooo.... not only have I gained back the weight I had lost, but also about 20 more lbs. It really stinks. I am 5'0 and 140 lbs. I don't have to tell you, but I have the apple shape going on AND It is so uncomfortable. This is the biggest that I have ever been, and I hate the tight feeling I get when I put on clothes.

About a month ago, I tried weight watchers online... thinking this program could not fail me. Well.. I did lose about 5 lbs. It does work, but very slowly.... Personally, I found it to be so flexible that it can be very dangerous... I can eat whatever I want, Yeaa!!! Buttt... the over eating seemed to be an issue, esp. since vegetables and fruit were 0 points. I have to say though, I now crave fruits and vegetables more than sweets and I do WANT to choose the healthier choices. Not only that, I do not have all of the time in a day to decipher points AND Track them. It is so different from just counting calories, you input calories and you are done. With WW, you need to figure it out the dang points and then Input...Way too tine consuming and I have a very busy life.

So this is where I am now. I want to lose weight and really do well, but after Weight Watchers, I think it would be better for me to do a diet in which I am told to to restrict calories. Therefore, I am Starting The UpDayDownDay Diet. If you have never heard of it, take a look at this link: http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

I am not going to say that this diet is for everyone (My friends think I am nuts for doing this). The calculator said that my Down Days should be 440 cal., and my up days at 2200 cal. For the sake of being new and having a normally big appetite, I will go to 500 cal./DownDay. From what I have read, this is a pretty beneficial to the body in other ways besides the weight loss. So I think I will give it a shot.... Furthermore, this puts me back onto MyFitnessPal, and I already know how awesome this site is....

Is there anyone out there that have tried this? Today was my very first Down Day and I am not going to lie, I AM HUNGRY! But from other reviews I have read, it gets easier and easier after the first week. And everyone knows that the First 2 weeks of anything habit changing is for sure the hardest.

Well even if no one has tried this, it would be nice to have the supportive peers again. I had a few girls that were very motivating when i last used this site 2 years ago. So... My name is Bree and I am addicted to FOOD. ahaha.. But furthermore, friends, comments, and encouragement is always welcomed and reciprocated.

Replies

• FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It sounds similar to the 5:2 diet. There are a couple groups on here that are about it.
    I've never heard of the updaydownday before.
  • samammay
    Options
    Doesn't sound sustainable in the long term. Why not just take the average and ea t 1250 every day?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've seen a number of people on here do the 5:2 diet also. And find success.

You just have to ask yourself is eating that way sustainable for you. Because otherwise it's just another diet that has a beginning and an end and those usually lead us back where we started at some point.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Also, expect at 140 to not lose very quick, yes it's just (just) over the "normal" weight range for your weight, but it IS pretty much normal (I'm AIMING for 140 hehe and I'm not much taller than you!) So whatever method you choose, it does need to be sustainable for you for a good length of time :smile:
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 and love it although I'm still heavier than you! lol. x
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Check out the intermittent fasting (IF) group on here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

As the others have said there is a version of IF called 5:2 that involves eating 500calories on 2 non-consecutives days and eating at maintenance on the other 5 days. Sounds very similar to what you are describing. I've never heard of upday downday so you might find more information and support looking at stuff for the 5:2 diet.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I need more structure so no it won't work for me. Best of luck to you on journey.

Shirley in Oregon GO DUCKS
  • as9026
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your helpful comments. I want to stick with this diet for at least two weeks. Supposedly you can increase cal. slightly more for Down days after the initial 2 weeks. Besides, one of my goals is to adapt to smaller portions, and mostly Control with food in general. I will surely let you all know of my progress! :laugh:
  • as9026
    Options
    Also... I will most definitely look into the 5:2 diet. THANK you all again! I swear that is why I have always loved this site. :smile:
  • as9026
    Options
    Actually, it was my new Doctor that told me about this diet to begin with. He said that from what he has read research wise, that ppl lost more weight by doing it like this compared to a lower everyday diet. I honestly thought that is was major weird too. However, from what I have read, people do say that it works! Also.. the best thing is that it is only for 1 day. So, for example, today I wanted all of the things I could not have (The Boyfriend made mash potatoes as a side tonight) BUT I know that I can have it tomorrow if I still want it.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    There is a JUDDD community here with some folks who have had lots of success. And if you go to Low Carb Friends, there is an excellent group there also.
    I tried it, but I ended up obsessing too much about the calories. But, that being said, there are lots of benefits to fasting and I believe I will probably use 5:2 for maintenance.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Yep. :-)

Best diet ever.

I started on 1 Jan 2013. I've lost 104 lbs.

After a couple down days it becomes easy, effective and automatic.
  • LifesAStage
    Options
    I just started the JUDDD diet this past week and have lost almost 4 lbs this week! Consider me a convert :) I love it.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So 400/2200 alternately....I can't see how this can be better than 1300 per day.......and if it makes you hungry......

But you have do what works works for you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    For some reason this sounds like a cheat code for Nintendo.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    For some reason this sounds like a cheat code for Nintendo.

:laugh:

I agree with checking out the IF group. I like 16/8 but have no desire to eat below RMR.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yup, that sounds like 5:2 to me. I have been doing it since april to maintain a 30-35 lb weight loss. What I love about this WOE (way of eating) is, is that I can eat whatever I want most days of the week and still keep the weight off. It was very hard for me to eat 1500 calories a day every day! You can IM me, friend me, I love to spread the word about 5:2. There is also a very supportive group on facebook. Most of the people are from great brittain where 5:2 is very popular.

good luck whatever you decide

Cindy
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I just like to eat at a deficit. I don't like to complicate my diet unnecessarily. YMMV
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds interesting. No way I could eat only 500 cals in a day. How is it scientifically different between just eating 1300 a day which is somewhere in the middle? Is it more about self control or about how the body loses weight faster this way?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds interesting. No way I could eat only 500 cals in a day. How is it scientifically different between just eating 1300 a day which is somewhere in the middle? Is it more about self control or about how the body loses weight faster this way?

There are a variety of past, current and ongoing studies that seem to indicate that periodic fasting is good for you (has some metabolic and health advantages).

But, meh, who cares at this point? I don't think the pile of evidence is quite large enough to call it "proof" yet.

So, IMO, eating 1300/day should be metabolically the same (or substantially similar).

IMO, the main advantages of this are;

1. I only have to restrict calories every other day. I have sufficient willpower for a series of 1-day diets.
    2. I get to eat the foods that I like - often. So, no cravings - just eat it tomorrow at worst.
    3. I get to have full-sized portions of the foods I love. i.e., half a pizza as a meal instead of 1 or 2 slices.
    4. Food planning and prep is super easy. I eat what everyone else does on up days. On down days, I have a couple pieces of fruit and maybe a protein shake or bar.

So, for me - it's all about being easy.

Most people seem to describe their weight loss "journey" as "difficult".

I would describe mine mostly as "tedious". Not in terms of the food or exercise (love my runs), but because, once I got on the program - It's mostly just a matter of waiting it out as I predictably lose my 0.3 lbs or so a day.
This discussion has been closed.