Ingredients:
I lb ground turkey, I used ground turkey breast
2 cans beans, I chose black and kidney
1 can diced tomatoes
15 oz can of pumpkin purée
1 chopped jalapeño
1 chopped onion
1 cup low sodium chicken broth

Super easy, throw it all in the crock pot on low for 5-6 hours!!

Enjoy

Nutritional facts per 1 cup of chili:
270 calories
Total fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 450 mg - more depending on salt usage
Protein : 32 grams
Fiber: 12 grams!! Beans and pumpkin , super fiber
Sugar: 3 grams

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump thank you
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Have you made this before? I concocted a turkey/pumpkin/vegetable soup with Thanksgiving leftovers last year and it was disgusting. And I am generally really good at throwing good recipes together with random food. If you have made it before, then I assume it's good...if not...let us know?
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just curious, can you tell it had pumpkin in it? Lets say I made this for an adult, would the pumpkin be obvious by smell or taste?
    Yes I know people have individual tastes, I'd like to try it but if it tastes like it has pumpkin in they won't eat it.

Any one tried it on their family?
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you made this before? I concocted a turkey/pumpkin/vegetable soup with Thanksgiving leftovers last year and it was disgusting. And I am generally really good at throwing good recipes together with random food. If you have made it before, then I assume it's good...if not...let us know?

It is so good! Warm and rich tasting with a slight hint of pumpkin. Not overwhelming
  • lolapedia88
    Options
    Just curious, can you tell it had pumpkin in it? Lets say I made this for an adult, would the pumpkin be obvious by smell or taste?
    Yes I know people have individual tastes, I'd like to try it but if it tastes like it has pumpkin in they won't eat it.

Any one tried it on their family?

Honestly can hardly tell there is pumpkin in it. It adds a nice richness to the chili and an orange color and slight taste. Very tasty
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make something similar and always add a full can of pumpkin, too. You absolutely cannot tell it's in there and it gives the chili thickness and loads of extra fiber and nutrients. Love it! Here's my recipe if you're interested in a variation! :)

Extra Lean Turkey Pumpkin Chili

INGREDIENTS:
    • 20 oz extra lean ground turkey breast
    • 28 oz Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
    • 12 oz frozen choppedonions
    • 12 oz frozen diced green peppers
    • 15 oz canned black beans (undrained)
    • 15 oz. canned red kidney beans (drained)
    • 15 oz. can corn niblets (drained)
    • 15 oz. Libby’s Pure Pumpkin
    • 1 packet of McCormick Chili Seasoning (either mild or hot)
    • Small can of *no salt added* tomato sauce (8 oz.) – cheap generic kind

DIRECTIONS:
    Brown turkey in a skillet on high heat in pan sprayed with PAM Olive Oil Spray (or you can just use regular PAM or regular olive oil). Once turkey is browned, add frozen vegetables and heat/stir until they are thawed. Once the vegetables are cooked down, transfer everything to a large stock pot.
    Add the remaining ingredients and cook covered for 1 hour or longer (it only gets better with time).
    Makes approx. 11 one-cup servings (I usually eat only ½ cup b/c it’s actually quite a lot).

NUTRITION INFO (per 1 cup):
    Cals: 185
    Fat: 2
    Carbs: 26
    Fiber: 8
    Protein: 20
  • lolapedia88
    Options
    Hey thanks but I prefer crock pot method ! Glad someone else liked it too ! Way yummy
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Stupid question -- if you can't taste the pumpkin, why are we adding it? I, apparently know nothing about pumpkin :blushing:
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • Rkthach
    Rkthach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WHAAAAA?!?! I love turkey. And pumpkin. So excited to make this!!
  • xbritnex
    xbritnex Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! I will have to test it out.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Stupid question -- if you can't taste the pumpkin, why are we adding it? I, apparently know nothing about pumpkin :blushing:

1. Add because pumpkin (and all squashes) are low undertones of flavor. You do not want to add as much as it will overpower thye chili flavors.
    2. Its pumpkin puree which adds a creamy texture to the chili while it still remains "chili" and not Squash soup.

Dean
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for sharing! I wil be trying this soon!
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump going to try this weekend
  • lolapedia88
    Options

Pumpkin is very good for you. High in vitamins and fiber
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    wow super easy and i already have all those ingredients! thanks for sharing
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday, it was very good! I did add a packet of McCormick's chili seasoning to it. My husband loves it and says he only wants this kind of chili from now on :smile:
  • lolapedia88
    Options
    I made this yesterday, it was very good! I did add a packet of McCormick's chili seasoning to it. My husband loves it and says he only wants this kind of chili from now on :smile:

Awesome!!! My fiancé loved it too :)
  • twhitecotton32
    twhitecotton32 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump