Holy Crap!!!!!!!

Options
So - I just logged my good for the day and can't believe the sodium content of the subway sub I had for lunch!!! :sick:

Replies

• SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When they said "do you want salt and pepper on that" what did you say? And did you choose low sodium dressing? Otherwise wheres the sodium? In the bread?
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When they said "do you want salt and pepper on that" what did you say? And did you choose low sodium dressing? Otherwise wheres the sodium? In the bread?

Lunch meat notoriously has high sodium.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    The sodium is in the bread and the meat. Processed and preserved meat has a lot of sodium.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Meh. It is high, but so is pretty much all restaurant food. Salt and/or salted butter makes food taste freaking good.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Meh. It is high, but so is pretty much all restaurant food. Salt and/or salted butter makes food taste freaking good.

but subway doesnt taste good... so whats their excuse?
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Lunch meat notoriously has high sodium.

Well its a surprise for me too! ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat is very high in sodium, as it is usually brined as part of the processing.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Lunch meat and bread both have a lot of sodium. So do pickles, banana peppers, black olives, and several of their dressings.
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not proud of it, but the only "extra" i had was black olives. I never get salt on anything. I don't cook with salt either, I figure it's easier to add a little when food is on the plate.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

but subway doesnt taste good... so whats their excuse?

yeah...I don't know. I think I have eaten there once in the last 3 years.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Dunno...when I eat there I have a multi grain bun....veggies....lean meat...no condiments.....tastes pretty good to me.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Lunch meat and bread both have a lot of sodium. So do pickles, banana peppers, black olives, and several of their dressings.
    [/quote]

Fair amount in the cheese, too. I ate four pickles the other day (and five green olives lol)....plus I had something like canned chili, I don't really remember. But my sodium that day was like 5000 mg. Insane.
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. Even deli/cold cuts that tend to be low in calories, seem to still be high in sodium. It adds up quick!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with sodium?
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I love subway and my husband actually works there part time, it's all in the sauce, cheese, meats, and breads!!! My husband even told me did you know the flat bread has the most calories out of all the breads? I was kind of shocked but I still like it
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sodium is okay in moderation but, can cause water retention in excess. Too much sodium is just not good for your health.
  • thezorb
    thezorb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I wasn't the only shocked by the sodium content in Subway sandwiches! I don't eat them as often anymore because of the sodium. I definitely feel better now that I've cut back on the salt.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sodium is okay in moderation but, can cause water retention in excess.

So can water, creatine, having your period and a hundred other things. What's wrong with water retention?
    Too much sodium is just not good for your health.

Why? What's wrong with sodium?
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

So can water, creatine, having your period and a hundred other things. What's wrong with water retention?

er.. water retention makes you feel bloated and awful. its just one of many delightful aspects of getting ones period. Nice to see you don't think theres anything wrong with it, but I think a lot of ladies would disagree.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

It can cause problems for people with hypertension if they don't realize how high the sodium content is in a Subway sub?