How did you gain the weight?

Options
JcMey3r
JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I just got comfortable in my relationship and then realized I need to do this for myself to live a better life. I wasn't obese but still the extra weight was not nice.

Replies

• CarolineMason42
    Options
    I lost it during holidays....during standard weeks I just maintained the weightloss but then at easter (2 weeks off with the children), summer same again and Christmas...I gained around 5 Lb each holiday and then just maintained so never got the excess weight off, hence 2.5 stone on in 3 years :grumble:
  • CarolineMason42
    Options
    Sorry I meant to say gained it - not lost it during the holidays :smile:
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was comfortable in a relationship with an obese junk food addict & then I got a job working at a supermarket next door to McDonalds.......leaving him, finding a new job & discovering this wonderful site changed my life for the better :)
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just ate way to much as a kid and wasn't that active. Then I gained more after I got married in Nov 2002 and got "comfortable" in life. More pounds came after a very bad car wreck in Jan 2008 which led to excessive narcotic/alcohol use. Then, in Nov 2008, I gained more after my mother was diagnosed with end stage cancer and passed away 17 days after being diagnosed, which was the day after my 6th wedding anniversary and 3 days before Thanksgiving of 2008.
    Life was turned around in Jan 2010 and it has been amazing!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    After having my son in 1993 I never stopped eating. I did less & less exercise & drank nothing but coke 24/7 I even had a big bottle by my bed at night.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I gained it through excuses!

I gave up smoking, weight gain is understandable right?

I drive all day for a living and have to grab food where I can

I work very long weeks so don't have time for exercise or to track what I eat

Now I am logging everything, making lunches to take with me, eating healthier food and cutting back on the drinking, no excuses any more
  • jennystone2013
    Options
    always been big. tried to lose repeatedly and succeded to a point, but i always put it back on.
  • JcMey3r
    Options
    Have to mention that I was always the fat kid and I played rugby in high school and thought I would loose weight. I was never properly educated about nutrition which was my biggest struggle with weight.

Im on here now a lot and Im always reading stuff on bodybuilding.com and bettering my education on nutrition and I have to say that this time it is working

Also I just bought a kitchen scale which makes life so easier(Best buy ever).
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know I was skin and bones until I had my second heart surgery when I was six but I was on the swim team and was a wrestler and played soccer in elementary till 9th grade and played football since 6th grade . I was always playing sports. I left the oilfield for mining and after the mine closed I gained about 100+ pounds. I always blamed it on heart surgery when I was little because I got chubby quick after but I am pretty sure it was the home cooked all you can eat buffets living with a farming family and the junk food. But I fixed my mistakes and have never been happier! :drinker:
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have to mention that I was always the fat kid and I played rugby in high school and thought I would loose weight. I was never properly educated about nutrition which was my biggest struggle with weight.

Im on here now a lot and Im always reading stuff on bodybuilding.com and bettering my education on nutrition and I have to say that this time it is working

Also I just bought a kitchen scale which makes life so easier(Best buy ever).

Same here I started studying nutrition and bought my food scale and it was crazy how I was eating a lot more than I thought I was. Everyone I know complains about the scale and having to weigh food but it is working for me and I actually like it.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I used to have quite a "pick & mix" approach to my training... a bit of spinning, a bit of boxercise, lots of lifting, some short runs, lots of yoga...

I used to eat equally eclectically... a wide range of foods.

Then I got into distance running via a group of friends, and then into distance triathlon. I was told to stop lifting. I got indoctrinated into the whole carb loading culture that permeates endurance training, and the wide held belief that if you've run for 3 hours or cycled for 6 you can eat whatever the hell you like.

I learned the hard way.

Did my midlife crisis Ironman. Got that out of the way. Now fixing my body.
  • JcMey3r
    Options
    Same here I started studying nutrition and bought my food scale and it was crazy how I was eating a lot more than I thought I was. Everyone I know complains about the scale and having to weigh food but it is working for me and I actually like it.

couldn't agree more. I stayed away from the scale for so long now that I have I realize just how good it is for me.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just being lazy really. I work full time and have two young kids so was happy to come home from work and grab easy food that was too high in calories. Or eat out and get take aways. I was too tired to exercise on a night. And I thought it was ok to eat the same size portions as my husband (he's 6ft 3 and I am 5ft 4) so even if I had a "healthy" meal I was still eating far too many calories.

Once I started cooking more, eating better and getting more exercise I realised they were all just excuses. Things that I just had to figure out a way round and make the time to do this and lose the wieght.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I ate too much
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I ate too much

Pretty much this! No excuses!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I ate to much and blamed underactive thyroid...there is no disease to make you fat! There is pile of food that will...When I finally realised how I looked I found MFP and left my boyfriend too, closed subject, new life:) I am happy now.
  • Kitpurr
    Kitpurr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Living with a man who could eat a tub of lard and wouldn't put on weight. His diet consists of doritos, followed by bread with half a tub of butter followed by half a dozen full fat lattes. Oh and cheese pizza, lots of cheese pizza. How he hasn't died of lack of fiber/nutrients is beyond me.

Either way, I picked up on his slack eating and over about 3 years put on 15kg(30lb). Now I have to get it all back off, and watch him eat whatever delicious food he wants to. Sometimes it sucks being a girl.
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I stopped exercising but continued eating the same amount and then I discovered the wonderful art of excuses!

My BF was the same we both started again together
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Sounds boring but just eating a little bit too much and not exercising enough. I was always chubby, even as a child, so this is the first time in my life that I'm actually slim.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I ate too much

Dude, AWESOME profile pic!!!! LOL.
This discussion has been closed.