is HIT good training for PCOS?

Options
I was reading on different threads how High Intensity Training (HIT) gives good result, maybe even the best, for loosing weight in girls with PCOS.
But on the other hand, I've read that HIT raises growth hormone, and also testosterone.
And the second one worries me, since I have already elevated testosterone, like, I believe most girls with PCOS.
Am I missing something here?
I know that there are more types of testosterone, but I don't understand it so well...It would be great if somebody can explain me that a bit, or just share experience.

Replies

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The studies i've seen show that HIT causes a momentary increase of T (testosterone), but not a permanent increase. Your T level returns to baseline after a couple of hours. So that shouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to conceive. If you concerned though, your doctor can monitor your T level.

By the way, women with PCOS seem to be more sensitive to carbohydrates, so i would minimize bread, rice, potatoes, etc.
    Also thyroid and vitamin D problems are more common with PCOS, so i would get tested regularly, at least the thyroid function.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answer!

I've heard that about carbs, and that's definitely first thing that I'm going to change in my diet - reduce carbs, and hopefully much of the processed foods and things like processed oils and stuff.

That is truth about PCOS and thyroid. I've checked it already and I do have thyroid problems (hypo) for last few years.
    That's why I'm trying to do some research and find a good training and diet, since the wrong kind of exercise can make the symptoms worse (for example too long cardio exercise can drain the thyroid down and create contra effect).

I've just googled a bit about Thyroid hormonal responses to HIT and apparently:
    "HIT results in a suppressed peripheral conversion of T₄ to T₃ implying that a longer recovery period is necessary for hormonal levels to return to normal following HIT".
    Do you think that could be a problem for someone with hypo?
    Should I avoid HIT training?