1200 Calories a day & not losing a thing?

Hey guys,

So I've been sticking to the 1,200 kcals a day as was suggested to me by MFP...but here's the thing, I've been trying to hit the 1,200 mark bang on yet I've not lost a thing in a week? I know, I'm being impatient but I've done this once before and lost 4lbs in the first week (I'm not doing anything differently to last time, except I'm exercising a bit more). I'm eating fruit, veg, meat and fish? Really, the only bad thing I eat is when I have a sugar craving & I'll have a little snack-size bag of children's biscuits (107kcals).

I'm starving by the time I go to bed and I just feel like it's not even worth it? I must have been eating at least 1,900 calories before (if not more!) so why are these pounds not shifting? I dance for at least 30 minutes a day and do a fitness DVD every other day too (with squats, lunges etc.)

Also, I'm not sure whether it's the food calories that are meant to reach 1,200 or the net calories? Because my net calories are always way under.
For example,
Tuesday: Food calories = 1,082 and Net = 867.
Wednesday: Food calories = 1,202 and Net = 1,052
Thursday: Food calories = 1,286 and Net = 1,194.

I genuinely don't know why it's not working for me this time? If anything, it should work better seeing as I'm actually exercising. Okay, I'm not going out running or anything but I'm still exercising a bit at least?

Thanks in advance for any help or support! :)

Replies

• girlsjustwanna13
    girlsjustwanna13 Posts: 20 Member
    Your metabolism is slowing down because you are not giving you body enough fuel. Your body is hanging on to it's existing fat stores hard out of fear you won't feed it.

Your net calories should reach your goal (i.e. 1200). You should always eat back half or all your exercise calories as your muscles need the fuel after exercise, else they can't build or recover.

Never be starving. As soon as you go to bed starving you know your body is slowing down the metabolism further. Get eating!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    ..because you're doing it wrong. 1200 isn't enough... and it's a goal, not a limit.

here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.
  • Fiona_Cami89
    Fiona_Cami89 Posts: 42 Member
    Thank you so much for your replies!!! I'm going to check out all of the sites you lovelies have suggested! :)

I guess 1,200 might be too low? I'll look into what you've told me, do a little research and decide on my next course of action x
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    Your body probably knew it was on 1200 calories for that week and was ashamed to lose weight but now tht your going to eat more it will be happy and burn fat. j/k
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    If you have a little to lose you can set the loss to 0.5 pound a week and see what MFP tells you. Personally I would not go below 1400. A lot depends on your current height and weight too. If you are planning to exercise and do the MFP method do eat the exercise calories back. If you are doing the TDEE - 15% method do not eat the exercise calories back. I am doing the latter method and find this much easier, providing I stick to my 2-3 exercise sessions per week. It means I do not have to estimate what the machines are telling me on calories used. I found by doing that I probably overestimated the burn and eat back too many! I have started to lose again after a plateau by upping my calories and doing the TDEE method.

Plenty of people lose on the 1200 a day but I found that it made me ratty and badtempered!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    For some reason MFP is filled with folks who keep saying YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH! If you're at a deficit...you're going to lose...we all want to believe we are special snowflakes...I was one of them. Ready this!!! It rings so true.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Some REALLY great advice above, one thing I want to reiterate is the scales.

I was eating almost 400 additional a day until I got the digi scales. So I was eating back half my exercise cals and MORE.

Good luck with your journey. :D
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    For some reason MFP is filled with folks who keep saying YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH! If you're at a deficit...you're going to lose...we all want to believe we are special snowflakes...I was one of them. Ready this!!! It rings so true.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

^^this
  • Fiona_Cami89
    Fiona_Cami89 Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks guys! I already use scales for everything that doesn't come pre-weighed in portions! (i.e. when I have to portion out potatoes, brown rice, brown pasta etc. I weigh it before and after it's cooked to make sure that I stay within the gram limit!)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    ..because you're doing it wrong. 1200 isn't enough... and it's a goal, not a limit.

here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.

brilliant.GIF
  • You answered your own question... You are exercising a little more, you need just a little more food to replenish your body. Try a protein or granola bar in the evening so you aren't starving.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member

Yes^^. finally.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    ...your diary makes me hungry. Please save your metabolism! Please eat!