Taking a med that makes me eat

Options
I take the anti-depressant Remeron. It works amazing for me. It treats my mild depression, with almost no side effects. Only one problem with it: it acts very strongly on histamine receptors, so it makes you EAT. And it makes you crave carbs like they're going out of style. I take my dose at bedtime, and 45 minute to an hour later, I'm craving food. I usually end up just going to bed because it works like all strong antihistamines and makes me extremely tired, but you can bet when the cat wakes me up between 3 and 4, I'm in the refrigerator.

It's not an issue of willpower. I. Need. To. Eat. Something. I'm doing well throughout the day, and have already lost a lot of the 10-12 pounds I want to lose, despite this.

I should consider myself lucky. I've read experiences of a lot of other people that have taken this med, and there are many people who have put on 40-60 pounds on it or even more.

Anyway, stopping the snacking isn't an option. When I wake up during the night, I don't need to eat much, just enough to satisfy the craving, because I am legitimately hungry. And I do consciously stop at one or a few of something, and try not to inhale the most unhealthy thing in the cupboard.

Actually, the "it's not a willpower" issue is only partly true. It is, to an extent. When I first started MFP, I found I was eating an insane amount of calories on these nocturnal snacking runs. Sometimes around 400. Now, I realize that while I am legitimately slightly hungry and should eat a little something, I don't need 3 handfuls of crackers and half a bowl of cereal to satisfy that. But, I do need to eat a little bit.

Going of the medication isn't an option. I have depression, and it's medically necessary. My depression is completely biological. In fact, one of the things I said to my doctor was "I don't know why I don't function anymore, my life is perfect." And I meant it. A little over a week on the meds, and I was back to my old self. Switching also isn't going to work. I've tried just about every SSRI under the sun, and they've all given me absolutely intolerable side effects. One even landed me in the ER with a panic attack that had my pulse just slightly over 220. I don't need a heart attack to treat depression. I never had issues with panic/anxiety until I tried SSRIs. I also tried Wellbutrin, which lead to 4 days of complete and total insomnia. I literally didn't sleep a single minute, DESPITE being RX'd Ambien to try to give my body some time to adjust. The Wellbutrin just overrode one of the strongest RX sleep meds available.

So, in short, this medication works for me. The eating isn't a huge deal, I just need some tips on what I could have handy for the midnight cravings that would be the best choice I can make.

Replies

• marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi. Sounds like you have a decent handle on what is going on with you.... The only suggestions I can make that could help keep you in bounds would be small but handy. First I would figure the calories into your daily intake.... If you eat 1400 a day for example decide how many you would like to devote to the am craving.... Say... 100 or 200 or whatever you think is best..... subtract that from your total calorie intake and then plan your meals around the rest... example... 100 snack..... 1300 rest of meals.
    Then before you take your medicine... or even as you plan your meals for the day.... decide what the snack is going to be.... Fix it and put it where it needs to be,. Then when you wake there is no decision because it has already been made... and get up and have your snack that is all ready and waiting for you. Hope this helps....
    :smile: :smile:
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    if they sell them anywhere near you i suggest getting some Kim's Magic Pop. they're delicious, taste a little bit like cake, feel like carbs, and have hardly any calories! (they're my go to "OMG I'M SO HUNGRY I NEED FOOD!" snack, which is why my package of them is almost empty ALREADY XD) i got mine at Central Market if you have any of those near you, but any grocery store that has health food like stuff SHOULD have them.

(on a side note, at least you dont have meds that make you NOT eat which when you've realized that you haven't eaten ALL day is a little scary, yes you lose weight but its NOT healthy!)

GOOD LUCK!
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Hi :) First of all, welcome to MFP, and I love your name! I take cipralex for my depression so I know where you are coming from. I find the cipralex makes me tired, so I take it before I go to bed.

If your medication is making you hungry in the middle of the night, and you need to eat, I would suggest ready to eat fruit or veggies, some cheese and crackers (portioned out before you go to bed, so that you don't get carried away) maybe an individual size container of yogurt or cottage cheese. All in all, I guess I am saying have your snack ready to go, so that you aren't rummaging through the cupboards and eating out of control at this time.

I hope this helps. :drinker:
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    sorry didn't make a suggestion as to what would work... Since it is carbs you crave.... Maybe Try Rice cakes....... but I would add a little protein... say peanutbutter . This way you can calm the craveing for the carbs. and add some saeity with the protein in the peanutbutter.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest the same as the others...................keep good healthy items in the fridge and cupboards in plain site, so when you feel the need to eat, it isn't so unhealthy.................also, put the cat out, so you can get your full 8 hours sleep............their adaptable:laugh:
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi. Sounds like you have a decent handle on what is going on with you.... The only suggestions I can make that could help keep you in bounds would be small but handy. First I would figure the calories into your daily intake.... If you eat 1400 a day for example decide how many you would like to devote to the am craving.... Say... 100 or 200 or whatever you think is best..... subtract that from your total calorie intake and then plan your meals around the rest... example... 100 snack..... 1300 rest of meals.
    Then before you take your medicine... or even as you plan your meals for the day.... decide what the snack is going to be.... Fix it and put it where it needs to be,. Then when you wake there is no decision because it has already been made... and get up and have your snack that is all ready and waiting for you. Hope this helps....
    :smile: :smile:

That's a good idea. That way there's no room for "Oh, but I'll just have a little of this, and HEY, that looks good too!" I also do log whatever I eat for my midnight snack in my food journal. That's how I realized how much I was really consuming! :noway:
    if they sell them anywhere near you i suggest getting some Kim's Magic Pop. they're delicious, taste a little bit like cake, feel like carbs, and have hardly any calories! (they're my go to "OMG I'M SO HUNGRY I NEED FOOD!" snack, which is why my package of them is almost empty ALREADY XD) i got mine at Central Market if you have any of those near you, but any grocery store that has health food like stuff SHOULD have them.

(on a side note, at least you dont have meds that make you NOT eat which when you've realized that you haven't eaten ALL day is a little scary, yes you lose weight but its NOT healthy!)

GOOD LUCK!

Alas, they don't seem to be near me. I'll check coops and the like, but seems like I might strike out. However, I looked them up, and maybe some mini rice cakes or something would be a good substitute. I've had the chocolate ones before, and they're actually really tasty. Like I said, I don't need to eat much. Just enough of something sweet that will trick my brain into saying "OK, you've loaded yourself up with sugar, we're good now", without actually doing it.
    sorry didn't make a suggestion as to what would work... Since it is carbs you crave.... Maybe Try Rice cakes....... but I would add a little protein... say peanutbutter . This way you can calm the craveing for the carbs. and add some saeity with the protein in the peanutbutter.

Haha... I kind of beat you to it. That actually sounds like a great idea, and since it's sugar I want, I think some of the sweeter flavors might be just the ticket.
    I was going to suggest the same as the others...................keep good healthy items in the fridge and cupboards in plain site, so when you feel the need to eat, it isn't so unhealthy.................also, put the cat out, so you can get your full 8 hours sleep............their adaptable:laugh:

*sigh* This one, unfortunately, is not. Like a lot of white cats, he was born completely deaf. He wouldn't last a night outside on his own. Something could be on top of him and have him shedding this mortal coil before he'd even know it was there. :brokenheart: He also has seperation anxiety, so he'd assuming I could let him out, he'd keep the entire neighborhood awake with his yelling.

Besides, I... uh... can't sleep without my kittyboy. So I guess we both have seperation anxiety, in a way.
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I take the anti-depressant Remeron. It works amazing for me. It treats my mild depression, with almost no side effects. Only one problem with it: it acts very strongly on histamine receptors, so it makes you EAT. And it makes you crave carbs like they're going out of style. I take my dose at bedtime, and 45 minute to an hour later, I'm craving food.

I am with you! When I started antidepressants in the early 90s, I started gaining weight. Then I had some lifestyle changes that seriously increased the weight gain until I'd gained 100 pounds in 4 years. I'm not blaming the whole 100 pounds on the meds, but they were definitely a factor.

The histamine receptors you're talking about happen to be the same ones that a particular recreational drug hits. They're the receptors that cause The Munchies. It's not your imagination or a coincidence. It's a physical drive for high carb foods. My experience is that it hits almost exactly 45 minutes after taking my meds, just like you said.

There's no "answer" to the problem, and I don't have any advice for you. I can only agree with you and support you.

Last night I went with a teaspoon of peanut butter on half a naan. (I prefer naan over bread.) Most nights I try to be asleep before that 45-minute mark. I don't have the problem with waking up during the night, thank goodness.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's weird you mention this. My doctor actually asked me if I had ever used that recreational drug, after seeing the good results and minimal side effects I had with Remeron. He said that people who self-medicate with it often do well with Remeron.

The irony is this: I tried the recreational drug at 3 different points in my life. All 3 times, I had a very negative experience. I've never had a panic disorder but had a panic attack all 3 times.

Just found that interesting.

And it's awful, isn't it? You'll be standing there like "I should NOT be eating this", but you honestly can't stop yourself. When I realized how much I was eating, I actually had to sabotage unhealthy foods to keep myself from eating them, as in either throwing them out and taking them right down to the trash dumpster, or scooping the kitty litter and putting the food I didn't need to be touching in the bag with it.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    Alas, they don't seem to be near me. I'll check coops and the like, but seems like I might strike out. However, I looked them up, and maybe some mini rice cakes or something would be a good substitute. I've had the chocolate ones before, and they're actually really tasty. Like I said, I don't need to eat much. Just enough of something sweet that will trick my brain into saying "OK, you've loaded yourself up with sugar, we're good now", without actually doing it.

awwww thats too bad, they're soooo good. you should ask your local health food store to get a magic pop machine. i'm sure they could, i know the company contracts with a lot of different grocery store chains. but thats true! the chocolate rice cakes are delicious and low in calories! good luck controlling those late night munchies!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a hot high fiber cereal with a dash of skim milk and a little sweetner?