any truth to eating more to break a plateau?

Options
Sometimes i notice if I go over my maintenance calories the scale is down the next morning. Other days I may eat under and the scale is up. I realize there are normal variations of the scale due to a multitude of things, but is it possible that "shaking up" the number of calories you eat, helps you lose?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    No.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is truth. No, it's not always the answer. It depends on what you were eating before the plateau.
  • lmyers132625
    lmyers132625 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After having my daughter (9 years ago) I lost 40 pounds in 6 months and I ALWAYS fit in 2 high calorie days a month. Those days always helped when I was stalled, I swear by it.

I have gained 40 pounds in the last 2 years and am going to incorporate those high calorie days again this time in my weight loss.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    after a loooong period of time eating far below maintenance, it's possible that you may plateau and need to bump your calories upward, but definitely not in the day-to-day way you mention in OP
    just watch your weight trend week-by-week and don't worry about the daily fluctuations
  • rosemary98
    Options
    "Yes, there is truth. No, it's not always the answer. It depends on what you were eating before the plateau."

my maintenance calories=1450
    I aim for 1200 (usually end up around 1350)
    some days i manage 1000-1200 (scale stays the same or goes up a bit)
    some days i eat 1500-1600 (scale goes down the next morning).

lol...broken scale? well, i did my research on scales and think I got a good one...it is new, new batteries, on a hard surface, etc. I weigh first thing in the morning--same time each day.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    "Yes, there is truth. No, it's not always the answer. It depends on what you were eating before the plateau."

lol...broken scale? well, i did my research on scales and think I got a good one...it is new, new batteries, on a hard surface, etc. I weigh first thing in the morning--same time each day.

Oh, you can't obesess over scale numbers like that. It will drive you crazy. It's not uncommon for a person's weight to fluctuate several lbs up or down during one day. All weight is not fat and the other stuff (water and waste especially) varies greatly day to day, hour to hour.
  • rosemary98
    Options

Oh, you can't obesess over scale numbers like that. It will drive you crazy. It's not uncommon for a person's weight to fluctuate several lbs up or down during one day. All weight is not fat and the other stuff (water and waste especially) varies greatly day to day, hour to hour.

Yes, you are probably right. Though I have often heard that staggering your calories each day (one higher calorie day; one lower calorie day) is effective for weight loss. I think the idea is that your body doesn't get used to a set amount of calories each day.
  • neanderthin
    Options
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes, you are probably right. Though I have often heard that staggering your calories each day (one higher calorie day; one lower calorie day) is effective for weight loss. I think the idea is that your body doesn't get used to a set amount of calories each day.
    A popular belief but it's not factually true and does nothing in the long run.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Bump..so I can learn how to get out of mine
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works and the journey is soooo much easier/happier when you're actually allowed to eat! Plus I'm eating now like I plan to eat when I reach my goal, except I'll have another 300-400 calories to enjoy. 1200 (the standard given by MFP to many women) is just too low! You're always starving & restricted in your diet. I am so much happier eating 1800 cal/day & keeping my protein intake high (>1 gm/lb lean body mass). I'm satisfied, eat a wide range of foods, have tons of energy & love this lifestyle. And I've obviously lost a good amount weight!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Wait what.. Your TDEE is 1450??? What are you 4 ft tall and weigh 90 lbs with no exercise? hard to believe.
  • rosemary98
    Options

Wait what.. Your TDEE is 1450??? What are you 4 ft tall and weigh 90 lbs with no exercise? hard to believe.

No, not quite. lol. I don't exercise (yet)...I do normal daily work chores around the house including caring for my child and have a sedentary job. I am just trying to understand plateaus and fluctuations...and common myths (and truths) I have heard.
  • bcattoes
    Options

It's not really about your body getting used to anything. The reason this is sometimes helpful is that some people find eating low calories one day, with the knowledge that they get to eat a lot tomorrow, an easier way to create a deficit than eating the same calories every day.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's a mystery. I was losing weight steadily for two months, had a binge weekend in New York, came back 6 lbs heavier and have just stayed at that weight ever since, despite eating the same calories as I did when I was losing. Now, this week I've gone over every day and I'm down three pounds. At this point, I'm just choosing not to worry about it.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    May I ask how you figured out your TDEE?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in 6 months and I ALWAYS fit in 2 high calorie days a month. Those days always helped when I was stalled, I swear by it.

Absolutely works for me, too.

Keep your metabolism guessing. Always stay one step ahead of it. *narrows eyes*
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yes
    really works