Stayed under 200 for 2 weeks

I hit my goal weight of under 200 pounds a few weeks ago and now I'm working in building more lean muscle. For the past 2 weeks, I have lost 1 pound which is basically no change. I know that maintaining is much harder than loser weight so I feel like this has been a big success. My only problem is that I'm a little obsessed with the scale. I'm trying to weigh in just once a week but I find myself weighing more than that and it is causing some depression if I am up 1 pound. Normal things like water weight and bowel movements can affect one's weight from day to day so I'm trying to now overcome that problem of being obsessed with the scale. I have lost 207 pounds in 19 months but I feel like now it's the hard part of maintaining a healthy way that is beginning.

Replies

• We all plan to avoid regular weigh-in's but it's really easier said than done. You have lost 207 so far, that's a feat most dream of. Also keep in mind that strength training will cause weight gain as muscle mass increases, but fat will continue to reduce.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    awesome job on your weight loss.

one tip i read somewhere around here is to pick and try to maintain a weight that is 5 lbs less than your goal weight.

for you that would be 195, now you wont feel bad if your weight fluctuates up to 200 lbs
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    I give myself a window when maintaining of 5 lbs. I always only ever weigh at the same time every day (or week). I want to be 124 lbs.. if I'm anywhere from 124-129 that day, I don't worry about it. It's usually sodium intake was high or I started a new workout and my muscles are holding onto weight. however, if I see 129, I know to scale back a bit. Start watching the calories a bit more, eat a little more strictly.

Like you said, weight will fluctuate. I think having a window is better than an actual weight. If I got upset every time I weighed in not at 124, I'd probably be mad at myself 3-4 times a week. I would recommend only counting weighing in for 1 day. So say, every Friday. As long as you're staying near your goal weight (within a couple pounds), I'd say you're good. If you notice yourself getting higher every week by a lb or so for a few weeks, you know to scale it back.

Maintaining is definitely tough. You should be so proud of what you've accomplished! Like losing weight, this takes some time to adjust and figure out too. Best of luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Congratulations! I actually like daily weigh-ins because it just becomes a habit I don't think about, that's just me. You're obviously doing something right!
  • mattreadfx
    mattreadfx Posts: 50 Member
    Congrats
  • trevpimp
    trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
    Don't feel bad about checking you're weight daily. If you eat right every day you will ALWAYS see it go down. If Its little by little its fine. If you gain weight always remember that you're getting stronger. I'm maintaining flat 200 also. I was at 192 but in gained it all back lol
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    I want to stay at or under my goal as well, but I do realize even if I weigh in on the same scale every day at the same time, no two 24 hours of calories in and exercise are the same. I still weigh in every day for maintenance. If the scale is down, I tell myself to make sure I eat all my minimum calories and if the scale is up I tell myself to make sure my activity is up or make sure I do everything I can to get my 6-8 hours of sleep. I have found that not getting a good nights rest almost always moves the scale up. I don't beat myself up over it anymore - it's like just part of my daily routine. Get Zen about the scale, it's a tool, no ability to pass judgement on you personally.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    You have done so brilliantly. Additionally you know that maintenance will not be plain sailing. It's a work in progress and I don't think we will ever get THERE, that place in our dreams where we will be slim and life will be so much better!!! Scales both for weighing food and ourselves can be really helpful. Unfortunately the ones we stand on can make or break our day. If you know you've eaten right then the ups and downs in scale weight we all experience will gradually show a pattern rather than an escalation. Look at it as an experiment see what works!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I hit my goal weight of under 200 pounds a few weeks ago and now I'm working in building more lean muscle. For the past 2 weeks, I have lost 1 pound which is basically no change. I know that maintaining is much harder than loser weight so I feel like this has been a big success. My only problem is that I'm a little obsessed with the scale. I'm trying to weigh in just once a week but I find myself weighing more than that and it is causing some depression if I am up 1 pound. Normal things like water weight and bowel movements can affect one's weight from day to day so I'm trying to now overcome that problem of being obsessed with the scale. I have lost 207 pounds in 19 months but I feel like now it's the hard part of maintaining a healthy way that is beginning.

you shouldnt have a single figure as your maintenance goal, you should have a range so that it accounts for fluctuations.... so for you a range of 196 - 202lbs might be good? if you are over 202 for more than 2 weeks, think about havign a deficit again for a bit.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    congratulations on your weight loss. what an accomplishment. i hope you can sit back and relax... you got yourself to this point and you're going to be just fine. you rule that scale .it doesn't rule you. going up and down a few pounds and keeping it in check is called maitenence. you can do this. I can't wait until I'm in your shoes.