Presses (SL 5x5) Question!

Options
Presses are my nemesis. I'm very new to lifting, and am in week 6 of the SL5x5 program. I have made what I consider excellent progress on all of my lifts, especially since I'm new and working on form, except for presses. I'm currently stuck on 55 lbs. Even at 55 lbs, the move is definitely more of a "push press". To compare, I hit my first stall on bench at 80 last bench day (failed on my very last rep, I was sure I had it!), and my bent row is at 90. (I stalled a couple of times to fix hand placement on the bar, per my trainer's advice). The only accessory lifts I'm doing now is two sets of front squats at the top of my squat sets, with light weight.

My question is, what type of accessory lifts can I do to get that 55 lb press number up? And would I just add in those lifts after my set of presses?

Thank you for the advice!

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I'm a new lifter also, just started in July. Don't feel bad about the OHP, it's the hardest lift and where everyone struggles. I can't help with the auxiliary lifts question but I will follow the post for suggestions.

Once I started failing regularly on the OHP @ 80 lbs I modified the program a little bit to keep my head in it. I just couldn't stand going into each session knowing I was going to fail. When I get a new weight up for the 5x5 I stay there for 3 sessions before even trying to go up, then when I do go up is isn't so much of a struggle. I only do this for the OHP so far.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Pull ups, chin ups and rows will help OHP. I hope you are very proud of 55 lbs, that is awesome. I went 3 months and could not press the bar.

As for how to bust the stall, you might try a pyramid approach vs. 5x5. Do 3 sets of warmups of some sort. Then do 45x5, 50x3 and then 60x1. Add 5 pounds next time and do 5/3/1 again. Kindof a hybrid 5x5, SS and 5/3/1. After the max weight set is done, drop down to 50% of your max weight and do 5x10x50%. Not sure how you get 25 lbs, but you could use a curl bar or dumbells.

I think you will find this approach will allow you to continue to progress on OHP.

As always, good form trumps max weight.

Tom
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Switch to 3x5
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I find that advancing 5 pounds on OHP each session was a bit much, so when I stalled, I bought some 1.25 plates and started advancing at 2.5 pounds instead. I did the same for Bench Press.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The press is probably the hardest movement to progress with, for everyone. It can be a frustrating lift, even more so because even just the bar is close to your current training maxes.

Also, don't confuse a bad day in the gym, or even a bad week, with a real stall. You have to take into account all of your nutrition and sleep, mood, etc... Try dropping the weight down and coming back up again if you really feel like you're stalling. It's an ego killer, but you should always have your eyes on the long game, and in a month when you're past the plateau, you won't care anyway.

I've recently had to do this on my OHP and Squat as well, and it's best understood as taking 3 steps forward and 1 step back. It's called a reset, and it's a normal part of progressing.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Pull ups, chin ups and rows will help OHP. I hope you are very proud of 55 lbs, that is awesome. I went 3 months and could not press the bar.

As for how to bust the stall, you might try a pyramid approach vs. 5x5. Do 3 sets of warmups of some sort. Then do 45x5, 50x3 and then 60x1. Add 5 pounds next time and do 5/3/1 again. Kindof a hybrid 5x5, SS and 5/3/1. After the max weight set is done, drop down to 50% of your max weight and do 5x10x50%. Not sure how you get 25 lbs, but you could use a curl bar or dumbells.

I think you will find this approach will allow you to continue to progress on OHP.

As always, good form trumps max weight.

Tom

If you do that then you might as well just do the full-body 5/3/1 method, which is far more effective than SL5x5 in the long run anyway. Strengthening your lats will help support your OHP and Bench Press actually. You also need to strengthen your triceps as they are basically the primary movers in both lifts. Implementing high-rep DB OHP as an accessory movement can also help. Something like 2 sets with the first set having a minimum of 15 reps, but you rep the weight as many as you can. Basically start with a weight that you can get for 15 or 16 reps on the first set and then try and beat that number each week.

If you want to add some focus to improving your OHP then on your "B" exercise day your routine may look something like:
    A: Squat
    B: OHP
    C: DL
    d1. DB OHP 2 x 15+
    d2 DB Rows 2 x 15+ (I like doing these as Kroc Rows which are heavy high-rep rows, but 5x10 is also fine)
    d3. Tricep Pressdowns, pull-downs, rope extensions, DB extensions for 5 x 10 are all fine as well.

The d1, 2, 3 indicates a tri-set, so just do one after the other. You don't need to do them as tri-sets, it just helps cut down on time.