Biggest Loser Interview

Options
I just came across this article, and thought I'd share. Like many of you, I've been inspired by the stories and results I've seen on the Biggest Loser, but this article was a great reminder that extreme results are not the norm and often are not healthy. Like this interview says, sometimes viewers like me see the contestants losing 12 pounds a week and think--"Why am I not getting those results?! It's obviously possible! I must just not be working hard enough!"

We want to encourage each other to meet our goals here, but make sure you are taking care of yourself as well. Be aware of your body and remember that for most of us this is a long-term commitment not a quick fix like you might see on TV!

A Dose Of Reality: My Exclusive Interview With Biggest Loser Finalist, Kai Hibbard:
http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Replies

• karen1003
    karen1003 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I read this as well and thought it was a very good reminder that moderate results should not be considered a failure. One pound at a time!
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing. This girl is from like one of the first seasons no?? This is horrible. I am starting to dislike this show- it's becoming too extreme.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have never watched the show or wanted to, and this just confirmed my thoughts on the matter.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    wow this is crazy. thanks for sharing!
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think the article said she was from season 3. I only started watching this most recent season, and even though I realized that such fast weight loss is unrealistic, I guess I assumed that they must have been doing it in as healthy a way as possible, so I still kind of felt inspired by it. Though I appreciate the inspiration I felt from watching this season, I don't think I will continue to watch -- this article made me realize that people's health shouldn't be a game show.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I agree, thanks for sharing! My friend & I would watch Biggest Loser and then he would get all into he had to do all this exercise and not eat certain things and overdo it on other foods just to try to lose like they did. Yes he would lose maybe 10 lbs that week while I would lose 1 or 2 but then as soon as he wasn't able to keep up that type of working out/ eating while living a "normal" life, then he would gain it all back just as quickly as he had lost it. . .and usually more because all the foods he had deprived himself of would taste so good he would over-do it. So yes, while I love to watch Biggest Loser and find the stories and success very motivational, it is not a way of life. . .because of just that. . .while they are at the Ranch, losing IS their life! Thanks again for sharing a very good point!!
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • Mari1969
    Mari1969 Posts: 37
    Options
    Great article. I was actually bummed out that I only lost 1 1/2lbs this week but I feel better now. Thanks,
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the contestants from oxygen's "dance your *kitten* off" go through the same thing.
  • Natalie7227
    Options
    I want to see this article, can you please give me one that works. This one did not work for me.

Thanks
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. It's very eye-opening and sad. I hope the truth gets out before more harm is done.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I understand the concern people have about the show. And with good reason. However, if you read more, other articles...you will learn that is one contestant's bitterness toward her own experience. I personally know 3 other contestants. They will tell you that you know up front what you are signing on for. They are well prepped for the physical, emotional and mental pressures that are placed on you. One of the guys I know was told from the very beginning that if he let the world know he is a minister, that they would exploit any "mistake" he might make while there and blow it up to the fullest, because "that would make good tv!". Each contestant's experience is what they make of it.

The producers and production assistants...and trainers (the SEVERAL that they work with on a daily basis...not just Bob and Jillian) know and understand that you will not be able to dedicate your every move and every thought when you get home, like you do when on the "ranch". Nor do they expect you to! Life happens...and they fully expect that to be the case. The point of the show is to give you an extreme jump start, and plant the seeds of knowledge and motivation you will need to continue a healthy lifestyle when all is said and done.

If Kai's experience was so horrendous...why did she stay to become a finalist? Why would you subject yourself to such horrible treatment if you didn't believe in it? Why follow through to the best of your ability, try to win....just to turn around and ***** about it years later? It doesn't make sense to me.

The 3 contenstant's that I know have maintained the lifestyle to the best of their abilities. One of which was only on the show for 2 weeks. He is a new man! He continues to live it the best he can, every day. He is taking what he learned and applying to his own life. All three of them are. None of them were winners... so it's not about the money. None of them are rich off of endorsements or recognition. They all continue to lead their normal, healthier, lives...
  • suzyanne
    suzyanne Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow...that was a very fascinating read. Thanks for sharing! Amazing!
  • trice
    trice Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    wow
  • ATJune
    ATJune Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,353 Member
    Options
    I realize the show is scripted and unreal. But I still will watch it. People choose to go on the show. I would never ever like to go on the show. I always have said this.

I do not beilieve for one minute Jillian is as mean as she plays on the show. They do that for ratings. When they had that Kim girl replace her for one year no one like her.

It is what it is..... All of these realitie shows are phony to some extent and The biggest Loser is no different.

Thanks for sharing link, it was still very interesting.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I've never watched the show, and I have even less interest in doing so now.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Bump..so I can watch/read later :) thanks!
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Thanks for shairng. Great article!
  • flannan
    flannan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think we basically know there is no reality on any reality show. Some people are not there just to lose weight. They could do that in their private lives. They are there to be on tv and will subject themselves to any humiliation possible to be the "lucky one" who gets to stay.
    I don't watch any more anyway.
    I love Dance your A** Off though! I wonder what their doing?? :-o