Popeye the Liar

Options
Popeye lied to me. :angry:

The-Nutritional-Value-of-Spinach.gif

Tried canned spinach for the first time yesterday... It was NOT good.

I like baby spinach salad mixes, but I really want to eat cooked spinach every now and again. I'm new to cooking, and need to know what type of spinach to buy to cook it, and HOW to cook it. Help please. :)

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It doesn't ever have as much iron as he tried to tell us. Cacao powder has way more.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you're cooking, I would use the fresh spinach (like for sauteeing with other foods) or use frozen spinach to add into more complex meals (like casseroles, etc.). Hope this helps. Don't care for the canned spinach at all myself!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Is Fresh Spinach the stuff you find in the salad sections? If so, how do you cook that/when do you know it's done?
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You would find it in the produce section. You can buy it bagged or loose. You can saute it in a skillet with olive oil or butter (whichever you prefer) with other veggies and season as you please. It doesn't take long to cook and it will shrivel up. As far as when it is done, depends on the consistency you prefer. Hope this helps.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    It does help, thank you much!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Did he even lift?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    works for me, love, love spinach
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    It got him Olive Oyl
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Just use fresh spinach and wilt it in some olive oil in a saute pan...it takes like about a minute and is just about the easiest thing in the world. I like to dash a little red wine vinegar on it to finish.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen spinach nuggets, give a couple a quick nuke to defrost, and drop them into a whole lot of different dishes. It's an easy way to add an extra vegetable serving to a dish. I toss them into soups, sauces, scrambled eggs, all sorts of stuff.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just throw it into what ever I'm cooking...last night I fried a potato, threw some onions, spaghetti squash, 2 eggs and mushrooms in, cooked it all up, when it was done i put 2 cups of spinach on top and put a lid on it, once the steam shrunk the spinach it was done.

Edit: Fresh spinach, nothing canned :sick:
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try this: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/basic_green_soup.html

It looks wierd, but it's freaking amazing. I just posted it on another thread.

Seriously, I made it at least a dozen times last winter, and am waiting for cool fall weather to make it again. Slow-cooking the onions to a perfect, buttery caramelization is the key, adn what gives it the amazing flavor it ends up with. You definitely need fresh spinach for it, though!