weight plates under heel for squats?

Options
Hi y'all. First off, I am not new to working out. I've been a runner and "done weights" most of my life. However I did just recently start the Stronglift 5x5 program with a friend...about 2 months ago. I am a 36 year old woman, not trying to lose weight, just trying to lift heavier and get stronger. OK background is out of the way now. ;)

Today at the gym, I was doing squats at the power rack, and a trainer came by to offer a "tip." I thought I'd run it by you guys here to see if anyone had heard of this before because it was new to me. He said that I should put a weight plate under each heel when I squat, so that each heel is elevated a little bit. He also told me that I should go straight down, and not worry if my knee goes over my toes (something I've always heard is a no-no). Well, I tried it and it felt weird, but I kind of liked it. It seemed easier for some reason.

Well, another trainer came up to me later and basically told me that guy didn't know what he was talking about, and I should never try to elevate my heels when doing a squat. Then, the two trainers proceeded to get into an argument about "powerlifting" vs "regular lifting" --. anyway it was really awkward.

So my question is just this. Do you put weight plates under your heels when you squat? Have you heard of this?

Thanks!

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It depends. There is nothing wrong per say with heels lifted. Oly lifting shoes have elevated heels for example. But for regular squats its not needed unless you have flexibility issues keeping you from being able to hit depth. In which case, sure use a plate under your heel. And also be doing flexibility training to improve your squat depth.

Knees past your toes is fine. Better rule to follow is your back and shins should stay parallel throughout the lift. If your knees go way past your toes to do this, then so be it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i do it all the time. more quad development, less total power. it really depends on what your goals are.

and the thing about the knees is a general guideline that may be wrong depending on the individual. there are many people who do a proper squat and their knees extend past their toes.
  • HeatherOltmans
    HeatherOltmans Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! Very helpful. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    People who lack flexibility to keep their heels down in a squat may want to us plates or else they'll lift off their toes and not heels. Also knees going past toes is fine. It's a natural movement when we climb stairs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition