protien powder shakes??

Options
mznicoleg
mznicoleg Posts: 12 Member
so i hear people saying that they ditch the slimfast 321 shakes and switch to protein shakes.I am drinking the slimfast shakes because they are easy to use/make but i know they have a lot of sugar. I am using them to loose weight..can anyone share some recipes so i can quit using slimfast?and which protein powder to use ...thanks.

Replies

• midnight_storm
    midnight_storm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same inquiries, but also I'd like to add:

Does it matter if your protein shake powder is flavored? Will the 'chocolate' or 'vanilla' flavor be a big flavor if you add things to it? I want to make mine with orange juice and stuff, but I can't fathom having to taste Vanilla flavored orange juice. And it seems as though I might not have a choice in getting non-flavored.
  • workingthisout
    workingthisout Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a vanilla whey protein that I use, its pretty good. I usually do half a scoop of powder, and mix it in the blender with frozen fruit like strawberries or blueberries, half a banana, some water, ice cubes, maybe a little juice. The protein powder basically is there to balance out all the sugar in the smoothie, it slows down the way your body absorbs the sugar. You want to make sure you have protein with every meal, so when you're making a smoothie quick you can just toss in the protein powder to have a balance :)
  • workingthisout
    workingthisout Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    & Midnight, the flavor takes a little adjustment but you'll figure out what tastes good with it. I do vanilla powder with orange all the time, it grows on you lol. Some brands even make like Oreo flavor. I get mine at the grocery store, &I've heard GNC has really good flavors
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Iv tried a number of Protein powders and for me Cellucor Whey is one of the best tasting around. Peanut Butter Marshmellow flavour is amazing.
    Your looking at about 130 Calories
    Protein: 25g
    Fat: 1.5g
    Sugar: 1g
    Carbs: 3g
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have the same inquiries, but also I'd like to add:

Does it matter if your protein shake powder is flavored? Will the 'chocolate' or 'vanilla' flavor be a big flavor if you add things to it? I want to make mine with orange juice and stuff, but I can't fathom having to taste Vanilla flavored orange juice. And it seems as though I might not have a choice in getting non-flavored.
    Vanilla willl taste better if you wanna add other stuff
    Chocolate taste ok with a banana
  • I use an unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 40 cals a cup, and a scoop of body fortress premium whey protein powder in strawberry, at 160 cals, though I don't drink it as a meal replacement, just after working out. Though if you wanted it as a meal replacement just stick a banana in it because strawberry banana shakes are wicked. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is a meal replacement shake, so it probably has more vits and minerals than a protein shake.
    Protein shakes are a supplement for those that need help hitting their protein goals.

Make sure when you switch out your shakes you are still getting all your vitamins and minerals through your food and/or vitamin supplements.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've been using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Natural Chocolate protein powder for a while now and it tastes/works great. I have a shake in the morning along with my shredded wheat and a half glass of OJ. 500 calories, 40g protein, and I'm full until lunch around noon. ON 100% whey has 24g protein per serving and 130 calories. Mix it with an 8oz glass of skim milk and you get another 80 calories and 8g protein. Much healthier for you than those shakes with tons of junk in them.

I also make my own protein bars by using the protein powder, rolled oats, peanut butter, honey, cocoa powder, skim milk, and crushed flax seed. All natural ingredients and they taste better than the store bought protein bars that are loaded with junk.

If you go with a protein powder I recommend getting one with NO artificial sweetners in it. I tried the regular ON 100% whey stuff before and after a week or so I started getting headaches. It turns out it has some weird artificial sweetner in it. I got the natural version that is sweetened with a little sugar and stevia (plant extract) and I've had no issues.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress vanilla whey protein powder from Walmart.It can be used with most other flavors,added to chocolate milk etc.A lot of ppl
    Use chocolate powder with peanut butter,but not a fan of PB,so I stay with vanilla.I add ice,4oz of yogurt,powder with milk or water.
    Sliced frozen bananas are easy add ins. Keep track of calories,they can add up pretty fast.
  • ghost15026
    Options
    I've been using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Natural Chocolate protein powder for a while now and it tastes/works great. I have a shake in the morning along with my shredded wheat and a half glass of OJ. 500 calories, 40g protein, and I'm full until lunch around noon. ON 100% whey has 24g protein per serving and 130 calories. Mix it with an 8oz glass of skim milk and you get another 80 calories and 8g protein. Much healthier for you than those shakes with tons of junk in them.
    If you go with a protein powder I recommend getting one with NO artificial sweetners in it. I tried the regular ON 100% whey stuff before and after a week or so I started getting headaches. It turns out it has some weird artificial sweetner in it. I got the natural version that is sweetened with a little sugar and stevia (plant extract) and I've had no issues.

I second Optimum Nutrition. You can pick up a tub of it on Amazon.

The one part I politely disagree with is the "side effects" of the flavored types. It is not a "weird" artificial sweetener - it is Sucralose aka Splenda. Sucralose is based on common sugar but processed so you can't digest it (similar to insoluble fiber). Sucralose works for many and may bother a few like anything else. Headaches are common for a handful of people - just treat it like any allergy. If you know Sucralose bothers you, simply avoid it. If it doesn't, then it's fine to use.

I don't want to turn this into an artificial sweetener flame war - use your judgment in the end. (This may still initiate one, though)

Vanilla flavoring is the most flexible as you can make just about anything out of it. Add some Trop50 orange juice and lowfat milk to make an Orange Julius. Drink it FAST because it will separate the milk. You can add in fruit and greek yogurt to make a delicious smoothie of any type. For just plain straight drinking then I highly recommend Double Chocolate. Tastes identical to chocolate milk as long as you use at least 4 ounces of milk.

The unflavored is fine but you'll always be seeking something out to add to your shakes. This may not always be a good thing. You usually add something sweet that adds additional calories/carb content you may not want/need. It also takes more time to make. Sucralose doesn't add any calories in contrast.

Just keep in mind that these powders are supplements. They exist to help you meet your protein goals & are not an actual "meal replacement". The meal replacement shakes have a lot of micronutrients (among other things...) that you won't find in the protein powders. They're both convenient, however.

These will all work fine to suppress hunger. You may want to consider that a huge chunk of cooked chicken breast, turkey, and even a lower fat cut of steak does the same thing with a smile. Just depends on your circumstances and what you're trying to do.

Avoid the Shakeology cultists.
  • rkirk1954
    rkirk1954 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite, so far, is the Whey Isolate Vanilla protein powder sold by Puritan's Pride and, if I'm not mistaken, the same as Vitamin World. 30 grams of protein per serving with 1g of fat and less than 1g of carbs at 130 calories. Using a high speed blender, the stuff comes out creamy. I mix it with 8-10 ounces of water , per serving, and add cinnamon and cayenne with baby spinach.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Lean Protein Powder and mix with unsweetened Silk almond milk. I also add fresh fruit and occasionally peanut butter. I really like it because it gives me the protein with less calories and less sugar than most. It comes in vanilla and chocolate. My shake this morning was 2 scoops chocolate flavored, 1 cup almond milk, and 1/2 cup fresh raspberries.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Mix vanilla protein powder with ice cold almond milk and catch the bus to pleasure town!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think the ON 100% whey regular stuff uses Acesulfame K as the artificial sweetner. I think its different than sucralose but it could be a variation. I know for me it gave me headaches so I opted to stop taking it. WIth the natural stuff, no headaches and it tastes about the same too. From what I've read artificial sweetners aren't bad for you in low doses but I just choose to avoid them if I can.

You may also want to check out the article Consumers Reports did a while ago about the various protein powders out there. Quite a few of the popular ones had high levels of heavy metals in them (i.e. Muscle Milk). ON was on the low side and below all of the FDA's RDA allowances. Supplements are regulated by the FDA so companies dont have to follow as many rules as regular food manufacturers/processors have to.

Here is a link to the article I was referring to. Keep in mind that many common food items like fish and potatoes also have higher levels of heavy metals than other foods, so a small level of these is probably entering our bodies through other food sources, albeit at low/safer levels. But some of the protein powders are a little excessive with what's in them.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm
  • bbudyn
    Options
    Avoid ON 100% protein it has many fillers and its low quality protein. I would suggest a protein from Kaizen http://www.kaizennaturals.com, it is high purity no artificial sweetener, no GMO's (Genetically Modified Organism/Additives). They're a great company and have lower prices than most protein brands on the market. In addition it tastes great.

Smooth tasting
    Delicious, natural flavour
    Easy to digest
    Easy to mix
    No artificial flavours, colours or sweeteners
    Low in fat
    Low in carbohydrates
    Gluten-free
    Lactose-free
    No hormones, pesticides or GMOs
  • Tasada07
    Options
    I use Evox Lean Pro shakes as a meal replacement. It's the best tasting shake I've ever tried and not that sweet. Tastes like milkshake and mixes instantly. I find many shakes have a very powdery feel in the mouth. You can mix with milk and / or water and each 300ml only has 98calories. I dont find the need to really blend with fruit or anything, occasionally I do have a bite of fruit with it but as is.
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with Optimum Nutrition! Just remember it is different than a meal replacement shake. It does not have the same amount of calories as a meal replacement shake and its only packing 3 or 4 carbs.

I love love love it!

I am knee deep in a 50lb cut! Because I work out so hard 6 days a week, I am afforded mine with 1% milk post work out and then my going to be Casein protein shake with milk as well.

I see a professional nutritionist, a doctor for fat pills/loss and a trainer for the kicking of my buttocks...lol

I believe you are smart to get away from the meal replacement, take the smart advice on shakeology, (I am a coach, because a friend sells the crap, and I hate the stuff! Cannot drink it, its horrible, it costs an a$$load of money too)

One big piece of advice that is still very difficult for me to swallow has been to remember that we did not get fat overnight, and it will take a lot longer to take it off. Don't get discouraged if you have plateaus and peaks and valleys. It happens! Just make it your new lifestyle and run with it.

Protein powders/meal replacements are supplements, eat 85-95% real food and supplement your shortfalls for protein with a shake
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've been using Walker Diet Shake Meal Replacement ... The Chocolate flavor Ingredients: Protein Blend of (Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Whites and Sodium Caseinate), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Inulin, Lecithin, Dutch Process Cocoa, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Oat Fiber, Vitamin and Mineral Blend of (TriCalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Succinate, Opti™ Zinc Methionine, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Molybdate, Niacinamide, Selenomethionine, Copper Gluconate, Pyridoxine HCl, Manganese Sulfate, Thiamine HCl, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3, Chromium Polynicotinate, Vitamin K1, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid), Xanthan Gum, Glutamine Peptide, Soy Fiber, Guar Gum, Carrot Fiber, Mono & DiGlycerides, Choline Bitartrate, DiPotassium Phosphate, Citrus Pectin, Sucralose.
    Contains: Milk, Eggs and Soy. I usually have the vanilla and chocolate on hand.

It comes in at 180 calories with 60 calories from fat and provides 7 grams of carbohydrate, 6 grams of fiber and 24 grams of protein for 2 scoops mixed with 8 ounces of water and 1 ice cube whirred in a blender.

I usually use it as an after-workout snack and cut back to just one scoop with coconut water instead of plain water. I've also added hemp seed or chia seed to it and used almond milk with berries or 1/2 a banana ... I find it quite good and affordable.

It's pretty inexpensive on line ... about $23 for 36 ounces and $13 for 18 ounce ... but Vitacost usually has it on sale for less on line.
  • susan420
    Options
    My favorite is IsoNatural

Protein 27g
    carbs 1
    fat 0
    sugars 0
    sodium 45mg
    cholesterol 3mg
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Avoid ON 100% protein it has many fillers and its low quality protein. I would suggest a protein from Kaizen http://www.kaizennaturals.com, it is high purity no artificial sweetener, no GMO's (Genetically Modified Organism/Additives). They're a great company and have lower prices than most protein brands on the market. In addition it tastes great.

While the Kaizen product looks to be great. Do you have any information showing that ON uses inferior whey in their process? There is plenty of information available to the opposite saying they are one of the best manufacturers of all forms of protein since they own the facilities where the whey is produced and control 100% of the process.

Yes, it has sucralose and coffee creamer as some of the ingredients, but 90+% of proteins do. I have no issues with it personally and I certainly do not believe that using completely safe products in the process makes this inferior.

Please cite some sources that show ON is a bad product. This will also implicate BSN since they are ON as well.