Men strong upper body weaker legs?

Options

Replies

• DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just alternate Lower Body and Upper Body days. A lot of guys at the Gym seem to have Shoulder days, Tricep days, Bicep days....etc etc.....you can always tell who they are....stork legs :laugh:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    140408.jpg

A0wn8OvCIAAoBCr.jpg:large

I can;t seem to get this one to stick: http://www.tickld.com/images/content/140408.jpg
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    140408.jpg

I can;t seem to get this one to stick: http://www.tickld.com/images/content/140408.jpg

God I love this photo...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I enjoy leg day cause nobody takes up the machines.. they are all too busy talking bro science and doing curls.

I wear shorts in the summer almost all the time.. Nothing better than some defined big calf muscles!

That's why I love leg day. I'm in shorts all summer long and I get more compliments from strangers on my calves than anything else. It's fun to catch someone looking down at them.

htjv.jpg
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I enjoy leg day cause nobody takes up the machines.. they are all too busy talking bro science and doing curls.

I wear shorts in the summer almost all the time.. Nothing better than some defined big calf muscles!

That's why I love leg day. I'm in shorts all summer long and I get more compliments from strangers on my calves than anything else. It's fun to catch someone looking down at them.

One thing I'll say about calves I do see men train the hell out of their calves for some reason. Seems like common leg training is maybe some leg pressing, curls, extensions, and then multiple sets of calf raises. I haven't touched a calf machine in well over a year and my calves develop nicely just from squats and deadlifts, plus interval sprints. I think most men can keep it simple with some hard work and get great results. I guess the hard work is the key there though.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm the complete opposite. Very strong legs, weak and flabby upper body. lol
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    One thing I'll say about calves I do see men train the hell out of their calves for some reason. Seems like common leg training is maybe some leg pressing, curls, extensions, and then multiple sets of calf raises. I haven't touched a calf machine in well over a year and my calves develop nicely just from squats and deadlifts, plus interval sprints. I think most men can keep it simple with some hard work and get great results. I guess the hard work is the key there though.

Calves are massively influenced by genetics. Some people develop, and some just don't. The photo I linked earlier is an Olympic 200M sprinter with over 2.5x bodyweight squat. Works legs hard, but has a lot more "go" than "show". Too bad for him.
  • Seekerman
    Seekerman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The Squat photo seems to represent many woman training lower body but apparently not upper other for toning. I say who cares cause she looks fantastic. Two of the woman in the class were similar to this build. They had trouble benching the bar but on the leg press were pressing 450 for reps and I was struggling with 270. In fact I tried 360 and got caught deep and pulled my ribs struggling to get the weight back up. My max squat was only 145 and it was their warm up. My consolation is I can still bench 315.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I just alternate Lower Body and Upper Body days. A lot of guys at the Gym seem to have Shoulder days, Tricep days, Bicep days....etc etc.....you can always tell who they are....stork legs :laugh:

Ha! I am a girl who has Legs days, Glute days, and Legs and Glute days. I do alternate Upper Body (2x a week there), but I also do quads those days :D

In fairness, I do have a bad back problem that doesn't let me do my UB like I'd like at all, but I still thought that was funny.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    ...I have focus on my upper body for years so it is strong, muscular and healthy looking. My legs look ok but could use some more muscle and strength. I used to run and bike but rarely lifted weights for my lower body. Now as I am older I see the mistake of my ways. Knee and hips issues. With this class I had been adding some lower body strength training. Unfortunately, I injured my hip trying to do too much. Any gain I had are gone and I start from ground zero. Seems like I have weak hamstrings and stiff and weak hip flexors, my core is Ok but not great. My quads strength in the leg extension seems ok but I hear this is a poor exercise for someone with knee trouble.I struggle in yoga when lower body strength and stamina is put to the test. Wall sit test my legs give out earlier then the woman. Partly due to poor flexibility I think. After my injury I want to take a slow careful approach. Any suggestions to ease back in

(eta: dammit, my links are screwed up. Do hip holds with no weights at first, hip pulses with weight in sets, and the stretch for the stretch)

Do these with no weights at first:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHoAFpVJqMM

Do these weighted in sets and reps (you can do just these):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYCXgdvzOY

Always stretch them after:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOlX41i1evo

The yoga holding issue is probably quads. Maybe look up knee PT exercises that also work it? I work mine with bodyweight lifts, but what I do is really rough for most knee problems. It just happens to work with my particular knee limitations :) I can't do the leg extension myself because of the way it bends the knee/moves my kneecap, yeah.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options

lmfao! True story.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I never see men's thighs as most men wear shorts down to the knee, so all I see are calves mostly.

Women tend to concentrate more on their lower body while men do upper body. I assume one of the largest reasons that motivate people to lift is to become more sexually attractive. The guns, abs, and chest for men and the butt and thighs for women. Seems like women tend to believe in spot reducing more so than men too as they are trying to "tone" and men want to be bigger.

But I have noticed women have more lower body strength than upper body strength. Women who squat 200lbs and have an 85lb bench press for example.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    140408.jpg

Quads look disproportionate.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Which proves that things that are disproportionate can look pretty good!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    (Said with a heavy Breathing Darth Vader kind of voice.) You don't know the power of the dark side (when you kick through a 2x4 with your shins!)

Seriously though, women can be VERY strong in their upper bodies. Go to a local powerlifting meet and check it out. Case in point, my wife, a 127 lb 52 year old, is not at her peak right now but has a personal best of 260 bench and a 385 deadlift.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    140408.jpg

Quads look disproportionate.

Everything looks proportionate to me...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon, although I am the exact opposite. I have always had a weaker lower body and strong legs. That meant I enjoyed lower body exercises since they were the ones I could move a lot of weight with, while the upper body ones got neglected. When I was doing a program with separate leg days, I always looked forward to them, but dreaded the chest and back days. Now I tend to focus on full body compound lifts, but my legs are still the stronger body part.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Women tend to concentrate more on their lower body while men do upper body. I assume one of the largest reasons that motivate people to lift is to become more sexually attractive.

I've come to the same conclusion after working at a corporate office as security. All these desk jockeys getting "swoll" and jacked on juice when they do absolutely nothing that requires them to be in such a physique.

"This pencil is so heavy! I need to get stronger! AAHHHH-"
    "These papers! AHHHH-"
    "The emails! SO HEAVY! AHHH-"

Unless one of them is the Batman. Only then, I would understand.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Stop skipping leg day? Just an idea.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I see it at the gym all the time, guys with big upper bodies and little boy legs...looks very funny!!