Check out my website

Options
I made a cool website for weight loss. It has lots of fun and interesting things in it and i worked hard at it. Please check it out :)

http://weightlossdiva1219.weebly.com

Thank you!

Replies

• davidf88
    Options
    This looks pretty cool. Did you build on the content on here??
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    This looks pretty cool. Did you build on the content on here??

Kinda, it's more just for inspiration and for me to share my tips etc. I promote the website a lot in it, so that hopefully people who havent found MFP can join.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Not bad. It needs to be fleshed out and some of the information corrected/expanded upon, but I like the simplicity of it.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    Not bad. It needs to be fleshed out and some of the information corrected/expanded upon, but I like the simplicity of it.

Oh it's not done hahaha. That's just the basic. I'm still adding stuff to it, working on it etc. Just wanted to show a preview and then it keeps getting added to :)
  • whierd
    Options
    I realize that you did not ask for any suggestions, but if I may, I would recommend adding to your resources a link to a site that allows people to calculate their BMR/TDEE for when they are new to changing their diets.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    I realize that you did not ask for any suggestions, but if I may, I would recommend adding to your resources a link to a site that allows people to calculate their BMR/TDEE for when they are new to changing their diets.

Oooh that's a great idea! I will do that!
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    Added it!
  • whierd
    Options
    Added it!

Excellent. :)
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    Added a really cool section called "weight loss for beginners" and check out the inspiration section! :)
  • whierd
    Options
    I would suggest rethinking the "Purelife" section of that. BMI is a pretty bad individual metric, and "ideal weight" can cause a lot of people who have EDs to obsess over that number.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    I would suggest rethinking the "Purelife" section of that. BMI is a pretty bad individual metric, and "ideal weight" can cause a lot of people who have EDs to obsess over that number.

I agree with the BMI part. But most people who lose weight want to get down to a certain number. I'd rather have them have a more realistic goal than one thats way too thin. But I see what you're saying.
  • whierd
    Options

I agree with the BMI part. But most people who lose weight want to get down to a certain number. I'd rather have them have a more realistic goal than one thats way too thin. But I see what you're saying.

Having a number range in mind is better, in my opinion. "ideal weight" is very arbitrary and skewed by the amount of LBM and frame type that the person has. For example, myself. At 6'0", my ideal weight range according to the charts is 160-196lbs. Being at sub-200's would leave me in single digit bodyfat% territory.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options

Having a number range in mind is better, in my opinion. "ideal weight" is very arbitrary and skewed by the amount of LBM and frame type that the person has. For example, myself. At 6'0", my ideal weight range according to the charts is 160-196lbs. Being at sub-200's would leave me in single digit bodyfat% territory.

I see what your saying...I'll try to find a way to rework it.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    a lot of your food info seems to focus on fat, specifically saturated fat. Recent studies have shown that saturated fat in one's diet does not have any specifically detrimental health effects. There is *correlation* between those with high saturated fat content in their diets and some health problems, but it is no longer believed to be the cause.

There are a few other minor things you should research a bit more before publishing them with an expectation of authority, but again - they are minor. Otherwise, I like the effort you've put into that site. Just don't start selling anything on there ;)

edit: actually, one more thing - please don't call insulin a fat-storing hormone. It does lots of things, including storing fat (when the raw materials are available) but it is a vital part of health. This is one point you should do a bit more research on. good luck!
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    a lot of your food info seems to focus on fat, specifically saturated fat. Recent studies have shown that saturated fat in one's diet does not have any specifically detrimental health effects. There is *correlation* between those with high saturated fat content in their diets and some health problems, but it is no longer believed to be the cause.

There are a few other minor things you should research a bit more before publishing them with an expectation of authority, but again - they are minor. Otherwise, I like the effort you've put into that site. Just don't start selling anything on there ;)

edit: actually, one more thing - please don't call insulin a fat-storing hormone. It does lots of things, including storing fat (when the raw materials are available) but it is a vital part of health. This is one point you should do a bit more research on. good luck!

Thanks for your advice. However, I'm not sure how those foods focus on fat or saturated fat....the fats in avocados and almonds is NOT saturated fat. It's a healthy necessary fat. All of the foods I posted are EXTREMELY healthy and great for weightloss. Everything I posted, I researched first on several websites, as well as the discussion with my mother who is both a nutritionist and exercise physiologist.

Insulin does do other things, but it IS in fact a fat storing hormone, that is a fact. I never said that storing fat isn't necessary and not important to health. I did mention the importance of healthy fats, dunno if you read the captions to each of the photos of the super foods.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    Oh sorry bout that, I totally misunderstood your post. No, not serious detrimental affects, but saturated fat is less healthy for you than monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fat is, which is why people who want to be healthy focus on eating more of that.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry bout that, I totally misunderstood your post. No, not serious detrimental affects, but saturated fat is less healthy for you than monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fat is, which is why people who want to be healthy focus on eating more of that.
    no worries on the misunderstanding. However, saturated fat is not more or less healthy as a general rule than the other fats. Go watch this:

http://chriskresser.com/the-saturated-fat-myth-debunked-in-two-minutes-and-thirty-five-seconds

real doctors talking about the saturated fat myth. Also read this:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/8673/saturated-fat-is-not-bad-for-your-brain-and-you-ve-been-lied-to/experts

for more information. Like I said before, do some research before you post things with an expected level of authority (as in, people *will* read what you post and take it to heart, whether you're an actual expert or not). You have a nice little site there, it just needs to have better information :)