I want to be one strong B

Options
I want to start lifting and just being stronger all around. I bought a few books that I thought would help. The New Rules of Lifting for Women and Weight training for Dummies Any other things that would be a good tool? Any suggestions? Can I see your results?

Replies

• Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 program... i dig it. It works. I am now addicted to lifting because of it.
  • imakeyoukneel
    imakeyoukneel Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ok cool I will get that one as well
  • imakeyoukneel
    Options
    any other tips?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    any other tips?
    Just move stuff that's heavy. Then do it some more.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 program... i dig it. It works. I am now addicted to lifting because of it.
    or starting strength... or new rules of lifting for women... or convict conditioning.

If you're at a gym, get with someone for a form check and just get started.

I am starting my second round of SL5x5 Monday, so.. looking forward to that.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is great because it's free. :-D Just unsubscribe from Medhi's e-mail list immediately because he's a douche :-)

Also, join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118

Eat, Train, Progress is an excellent resource and Sara and Sidesteel are amazing assets to this community. They're scientifically-minded folks who skip the bro-science of diet and fitness and give incredibly rational advice backed by evidence and research.

You had asked for results. My wife (weese17) did New Rules of Lifting For Women (along with high intensity interval training [HIIT] for fat loss) and moved on to Stronglifts; I started with Stronglifts (and couch to 5k / running for fat loss).

2010 / 2012

5775_109675406602_4522183_n_zpsbaf9ea0a.jpg
    540636_10150682044086603_1203936584_n_zps2c1c0836.jpg

Strong is good.

Check out Leaky's story, too. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/968182-i-lost-a-person-but-i-found-myself-leaky-s-story

Long story short, and whatever route you choose:
    Eat a caloric deficit, and you will lose weight. Some fat, some muscle.
    Perform cardiovascular training, and you will burn fat and improve your cardiovascular health.
    Strength train, and you will maintain muscle and improve your musculoskeletal health.

Progress is slow, but it's a lot faster than getting fat. I got fit in a heck of a lot less time than I got fat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    any other tips?

get started.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    any other tips?

get started.

^ This. Yes, absolutely spend time thinking about your program and analyzing, but grab the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program and just start it. Then keep reading, and working on your form. Another great resource is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength but use that for form, and keep with whatever program you start. NROLFW is a bit more complicated and changes with time. If you like that then fine. But just start with the simple 5 x 5 program and go from there. Do Not get bogged down so much with analysis that you freeze. Besides, most of these programs share a similar basic philosophy of heavy lifting and progressive overload.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    any other tips?

Stop buying books, start lifting? :)

There really isn't that much to know. One web page description of 5x5 and you're good to go.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    any other tips?

Stop buying books, start lifting? :)

There really isn't that much to know. One web page description of 5x5 and you're good to go.

...as long as they understand the concept of warmup sets and progressive loading. If you just walk into a gym and start lifting, you're asking for a bad time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it were me...I'd not start with strong lifts 5x5 if I haven't really lifted before.
    I'd read New Rules, and Starting Strength and work from there.

From what I see at the gym (especially among iphone users) strong lifts 5x5 gets done WRONG a lot.

Watch videos. Check form, ask trainers if you can, repeat.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is great because it's free. :-D Just unsubscribe from Medhi's e-mail list immediately because he's a douche :-)

Also, join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118

Eat, Train, Progress is an excellent resource and Sara and Sidesteel are amazing assets to this community. They're scientifically-minded folks who skip the bro-science of diet and fitness and give incredibly rational advice backed by evidence and research.

You had asked for results. My wife (weese17) did New Rules of Lifting For Women (along with high intensity interval training [HIIT] for fat loss) and moved on to Stronglifts; I started with Stronglifts (and couch to 5k / running for fat loss).

2010 / 2012

5775_109675406602_4522183_n_zpsbaf9ea0a.jpg
    540636_10150682044086603_1203936584_n_zps2c1c0836.jpg

Strong is good.

Check out Leaky's story, too. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/968182-i-lost-a-person-but-i-found-myself-leaky-s-story

Long story short, and whatever route you choose:
    Eat a caloric deficit, and you will lose weight. Some fat, some muscle.
    Perform cardiovascular training, and you will burn fat and improve your cardiovascular health.
    Strength train, and you will maintain muscle and improve your musculoskeletal health.

Progress is slow, but it's a lot faster than getting fat. I got fit in a heck of a lot less time than I got fat.

^ Take it from the hot couple up there! :drinker:
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think I may look into this myself.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Get in the gym and start lifting.
  • imakeyoukneel
    Options
    I did my first workout this morning I hired a trainer she seems cool kind of pricey though I was doing a lot of stuff wrong I guess form wise might need to keep her around until I learn to do it on my own I have always been naturally thin so working out if foreign lol I need some gloves!!