Women- Lose weight while on period?

Options
So, I have been doing really well on my diet, eating low carb, high protein, working out, and drinking lots of water, but today I started my period and I am just curious if any of you still lose weight while on your periods?? I will continue to eat healthy and workout during my period because I need to keep myslef on track. I do not want to stop working out because I know myself and I will not go back to doing it. I made a commitment and I am going to hold myself to it! I just wanna be prepared for if I do not lose weight while on my period even thought I am still working hard at it! Any stories or thoughts are much appreciated!! =]

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    If you keep up with eating and exercising correctly, you may lose more this week than a normal one. THAT'S RIGHT! When we get this lovely time of the month, our metabolism raises (hence the cravings) This is what I was told anways on MFP. It makes sense! I just had mine this past week, ate right, worked out.. and I lost! I've been on a damn plateau for the past 2 months. Good luck!
  • britlosinit
    Options
    Wow that is very motivating! thank you!! I hope I still lose! So you got out of the plateau while on your period??
  • mamaturner
    Options
    haha, it seems that way! I had been stuck between 144 and 142 and today I weight in at 141.6. Granted it's not much lower... but I hadn't gone below 142 in 2 months!!! I worked today and tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a loss for Monday
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    MamaT- same thing happened to me this month. Strange but I'll take the loss where and when I can get it!
    :drinker:
  • mamaturner
    Options
    I hear that msbanana!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    i usually lose once it is over....have a 'gain' during (bloating) but it goes away + more :)
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep in them numbers, and really watch your sodium intake during this time. And of course, exercise. My first couple months, I would gain a little, couple pounds, but it came back off real easy. I then started keeping the sodium as low as possible during TOM, and last month lost 2 oz for the week, which to me was better then a gain. Well I just ended yesterday, and tomorrow is weigh in day. I checked the scale this morning, and I am down 6 oz for the week. Will see what tomorrow brings, but 6 oz off for the week is better then 6 oz on.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I was on a serious plateau for 4 weeks and managed to stay strong! ....somewhat strong...I still enjoy myself at the weekends (a little too much sometimes) lol :flowerforyou:

However, I was at 164lbs on monday (still on TOM) and decided that I needed to do something about my weight..and started jogging/brisk walking (4.5 MPH)...I worked out for 3 miles every day for 5 days in a row and when I weighed in today, I had lost 4lbs! I really honestly think that most people will gain at this TOM...I drink sooo much water and I couldn't shift it at all. 2 days after my TOM had gone. (wednesday) I had lost 3.4lbs! Therefore the TOM had been more important than the jogging :flowerforyou:

I wouoldn't weigh until at least 2/3 days after TOM has passed....each individual is different and therefore the way we lose weight is also different

Wait a few days until TOM has pased and you will be extremely suprised! :flowerforyou: .
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much rely on the fact that the day my period starts, I'll gain 5 pounds, and 2 days after it's over, I'll have lost 6. : )
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of women here say that they tend to gain 2-3 pounds whenever they're on their periods, but I lose just like I do any other week. :/ Might be weird, but I don't care.
  • msbanana
    Options
    I can pretty much rely on the fact that the day my period starts, I'll gain 5 pounds, and 2 days after it's over, I'll have lost 6. : )

EXACTLY! :laugh:
  • britlosinit
    Options
    You guys are all helping me stay motivated, thank you!! and I am watching Sodium and drinking lots of water, so that should help! I guess we will just see what happens. =]
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I tend to put on right before because of the cravings and then during I can't shift anything. I was told to drink lots of water though which I have been doing for the last 3 months and then once it's done...i'm down including what I put on before - so really, for me, it's just a 0 gain, 0 loss......
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I just finished my TOM and I still lost almost 1.5 pounds. I didnt have the cravings/cramps I normally have on my period either this time around. I think it was the exercise and water.
  • msbanana
    Options
    I didnt have the cravings/cramps I normally have on my period either this time around. I think it was the exercise and water.

It totally helps! As much as I would rather curl up with a book and a bowl of ice cream exercise and water really do make a world of difference. :)
  • mamaturner
    Options
    I didnt have the cravings/cramps I normally have on my period either this time around. I think it was the exercise and water.

It totally helps! As much as I would rather curl up with a book and a bowl of ice cream exercise and water really do make a world of difference. :)

Same here!!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I usually lose more while on period for some reason I can't explain. Everyone is different. If I do hold extra weight it is the week before my period, but even that is rare and has only happened a few times.
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options
    I can gain up to 5 lbs during that time of the month. If I stay true to my diet and drink a ton of water and continue to exercise despite cramps and cravings I loose the 5lbs after day 2 and am at the same weight I went into that TOM at the end. I refuse to let a 4 day blip keep me off my game and ruin all those hard won lbs lost.
  • kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always see a lower number on the scale during TOM!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think my weight gain during my period was why I thought I couldn't lose weight before. When losing my weight, I noticed that I'd be up 3-5 pounds right before it started but I kept on eating right and exercising. About 3 days in I'd usually be down the water weight plus a pound or two. If you weigh at this time, you need to take it with a grain of salt and not freak out if it seems you've gained back some weight. It's not permanent. You may choose to wait until it's over to weigh in again.