Take me back

Options
BeautifulChaos27
BeautifulChaos27 Posts: 91
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
... into the world of MFP!

Let's just say I jumped off the bandwagon god knows how long ago and I gained everything I lost and more. I'm at 245 now, yikes. (5'6" tall, almost 20 year old female) I wanna lose at least 100 pounds, maybe more.

HOWEVER, I have one, very big, problem. I've got major knee issues. I've dislocated my knee cap three times, and it's threatened to dislocate more times than I'd ever want to count. I actually just dislocated it for the third time 2 weeks ago, so it's still healing.

Another problem is, I'm a girl who enjoys her food. Steak and fries? BRING IT ON! Pizza? WHY YES PLEASE! So cutting out foods, which I've tried before, is probably my downfall. I cut it out, and then the cravings kill me. I'm going to try to focus on moderation. I'll still go out to eat, have my goodies and what not, just not as much. Any tips on how to stop myself from just continuously nomming on the yummyness? (lol) I'm not sure if I'll log what I eat or not... it also kills me to have to pay attention to the labels of everything I eat in order to just track it right. >_<

I'm also very picky with workouts, and clearly also limited due to my knee. I like things that are fun, something I won't get bored of. If I had a pool I'd be set, I'd be swimming all day long. Sadly though, I don't, and I have no access to one either. So any suggestions on fun, non-repetitive workouts that aren't hard on the knees?

And one last thing I'd like to add is well, to friend me! I'd love (and need) support. I don't think I'll be commenting on anybody's food journal posts, because I've tried that before as well and it became so time consuming that I probably focused more on others activities than my own. Haha =) Though I will try my best to comment on any status updates, if they don't get lost in the mess.

Thanks in advance for any friend requests or tips! <3

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I may log some.. I may not.. I may eat less.. or maybe not.. I like to munch on pizza and fastfood and .. well I plan to continue that.. but yeah I thought I'd try to lose some weight while I am at it because my knees are broken so I can't move.

I think you shouldn't bother until you really want to lose weight.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    No.

I mean, fine, whatever. Just don't leave me again.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    here ya go:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Wow! I was coming in to add my own 2 cents, but I have nothing to add that can better this.^
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    A good start might be for you to actually start logging your food accurately, every single gram that passes your lips. Will you loose weight during that time? No, but you will start to see where it all goes.

You could start swapping some full fat versions for lighter version (provided they don't contain more cals). The thing with cal intensive food is that a bite saved is worth a lot. My favourite Pizza at one point was Double Pepperoni and a large one of those can easily reach 2000 cals or more. Now I can save a lot of cals if I just start having one slice less. If I have a single burger instead of a double, I can save. If I have a bottle of water instead of a frozen coke, I save 341 cals. The point is not being too restrictive, otherwise you resent it and give up. Small changes do add up, but you also have to realise that you wont' be dropping 5 pounds a week by eating a slice of pizza less or having a single burger instead of a double.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    here ya go:

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

Wow! I was coming in to add my own 2 cents, but I have nothing to add that can better this.^

+1,000,000
This discussion has been closed.