losing while on an antidepressant???

Options
Hey My Fitness Pals!

Having a hard time losing. I am loving MFP, and am using it religously. I also work out 5 times a week. Is anyone on an antidepressant and having a hard time losing? I think the meds are slowing my metabolism down. Also my age (45) is not helping. What are you doing to be successful with losing weight while on meds? I'm getting frustrated!

Thanks!

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I chase my grandson around, playing chase me - tickle me. We can burn up a mile in no time at all, merely speed-walking (he's running) a circle back and forth through the kitchen, dining room, living room, and hallway, back and forth, round and round, not catching each other. It is so much fun!

Maybe you can grab a child and do the same thing?! ;):drinker:

I was on an antidepressant for a few months, they were using it for my fibromyalghia?, or something medical. Unfortunately, I was not trying to diet at that time, so I cannot answer that part of the question. Hugs.
  • ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medicine too. My weight loss jumped from 160 to 180 then I got pregnant and jumped to 219. I am now 195. I can't seem to lose the weight. I think I have given up, not sure if its the medication. I am taking Zoloft, but started off with Celexa. I dont know, I am very discouraged and when I get depressed by not seeing a difference on the scale I eat. Its a very vicious cycle I cannot seem to get out of.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I take and antidepressent for my anxiety. I am taking citalopram. When I was first taking it I dropped the weight big time! Like to the tune of 40 pounds. Just need to check the side effects and maybe tell your doctor your concerns.
  • facarpen
    facarpen Posts: 4
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

I too am on an antidepresent lexapro, and have been for over 15 years. I have no real problem with weight loss. I was 308 lbs in January 2010. I am now 268 lbs. The scale at times can be a very discouraging device. If you are on an exercise program you may not show a great weight loss. The main thing is to check the body fat index, this will tell the story. DO NOT get dicouraged. By the way I'm a 73 year old male. Hang in there....................facarpen
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    Thanks guys, for your input. I might ask my MD about changing. Good luck to you all!
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    facarpen, I'm proud of you for taking your meds for that long. So many people are non-compliant. Take care! Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    I am on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medicine too. My weight loss jumped from 160 to 180 then I got pregnant and jumped to 219. I am now 195. I can't seem to lose the weight. I think I have given up, not sure if its the medication. I am taking Zoloft, but started off with Celexa. I dont know, I am very discouraged and when I get depressed by not seeing a difference on the scale I eat. Its a very vicious cycle I cannot seem to get out of.

Don't give up, you can do it! Just start slowly, with small changes. Exercise is a GREAT cure for anxiety. You might think about starting to walk, or get a work out DVD that you like and pop it in when the kids are napping. I am on Zoloft, too, for PMDD. I think it has caused weight gain. Little changes add up. You can do it!
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    I take and antidepressent for my anxiety. I am taking citalopram. When I was first taking it I dropped the weight big time! Like to the tune of 40 pounds. Just need to check the side effects and maybe tell your doctor your concerns.

HI, I tried citalopram, and just couldn't eat at all. I just pushed the food around on my plate. I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. I had to get off of it, it was not good for me, but I am glad it is helping you. :smile: