Motivation for an "unpleasant" exercise?

Options

Replies

• debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Basically, I've been doing too much cardio and have been advised to cut back on it. Okay, I can deal with that. I can cut down the running from 4X a week to 3X a week, and I can drop the 40-minute stationary bike at the gym after my Pilates Class. That leaves me with 3 Pilates classes a week and 3 running days a week.

Who told you running 4x a week is "too much cardio"?

And why?

Actually, no one said that running 4X a week was too much cardio. The problem is that I've screwed up my metabolism through eating too few calories and doing too much cardio for too long, and I need to reset it. One of the main recommendations is that I cut back on cardio, up my caloric intake and start lifting heavy to repair the damage I've already done (I'm to the point that I've gained 20 pounds since Feb eating less than 1000 cals/day and doing cardio 7 day a week).

I'm not really happy about the news, really. I don't want to start gaining more weight just to have to take it off later, and I really don't relish the idea of lifting (heavy or otherwise). But I can't create any more of a deficit without putting myself in physical danger. And I can't keep gaining weight eating a net calorie count between 600 and 800 cals a day.

The only way I can see making everything work is to run 3X/week, keep my Pilates class (because I also enjoy it!) and try to fit in lifting. Since I'll be in the gym for the Pilates, I can add the lifting in place of the stationary bike. This will also give me 1 rest day/week, which I haven't had before.

Hopefully it will work! (If I can make myself do the lifting, of course) ;-)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. I don't know what to say except maybe your workouts lack "intensity" and some awesome music for smashing weights. Find the right plan for your goals.

I don't mind machines. I wouldn't approach them until after doing the big lifts first. I've almost always done 3-4 day splits doing 3-4 exercises for each muscle group. I'm trying to step outside my comfort zone and work on strength training.

Anyway, good luck and I hope lifting grows on you.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to lift, but really didn't know how. When I was in high school, I just lifted whatever I could, in some random order, with the guys at the gym. As I got older, I realized I didn't know a thing about it (like a lot of other stuff in life :smile: ).

I started with a trainer in March 2012. He has put me through lift routines with actual weights, lots of kettle bells, some machines and a ton of resistance (your body really can be your best gym, especially if you travel).

And I do travel - a lot. So recently I bought TRX straps. These are awesome. I use them in my house and on the road. Since my club has some, my trainer showed my several routines to use. Incorporated with some lunges and cardio between intervals, and you get a full body workout. My metabolism is way higher now and I feel great all the time.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    How do I make myself go to the gym when I'd rather stick needles into my eyeballs than try to figure out what to do with a weight bench?

I used to struggle with this and running. Then I told myself (seriously) to stop being such a little *****, quit whining and just get on and do it. (*)

I know its not what you want to hear, but I think sometimes you just have to suck it up and get on with it. There are times we deprive ourselves because we can't have that chocolate cake, this is just another one of those occasions.

Good luck anyway.

(*) please don't think this is me saying that to you!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Who told you running 4x a week is "too much cardio"?

And why?
    Actually, no one said that running 4X a week was too much cardio. The problem is that I've screwed up my metabolism through eating too few calories and doing too much cardio for too long, and I need to reset it.

This is a good question. I'd missed this from the OP. I've never heard of anyone "resetting their metabolism". Is that biologically possible?
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of lifting either. Did you get this advice from someone with credentials, or from reading the boards on MFP? If the latter, I'd suggest seeking out the former.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The problem is that I've screwed up my metabolism through eating too few calories and doing too much cardio for too long, and I need to reset it.

Running 4x a week is not "too much cardio" and will not result in a "screwed up" metabolism.

IMO, based on what you've said, this is pretty....dubious...advice.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. I'd missed this from the OP. I've never heard of anyone "resetting their metabolism". Is that biologically possible?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less There's a whole group devoted to it here on MFP.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    well, have you ever thought of getting some resistance bands and hand weights for at home??? THey have so many youtube how to video for these. This is my form of resistance training, that and the swimming and pool resistance exercises I do everyday. If you don't like it then find something else. I just jam up my own music and watch the vidoes and do my exercises. No driving to a gym, no dealing with traffic, no waiting for space or a machine to come up available. As far as motivation when I don't feel like working out, I just tell myself Just do it and if you don't you are only cheating yourself.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I tried lifting on my own and found it boring too. I'm now following the Chalean Extreme dvd's and I love it. I really like her energy and I can just follow along. You can use resistance bands or weights.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    What is your ultimate goal? Why do you feel you have to lift?

My two cents on the matter is that you can achieve a rebalance of your net calorie intake ('reset metabolism' is nonsense talk), by simply gradually eating more until you see a weight gain trend, and then stepping down to the previous calorie level. No need to reduce the amount of cardio you do unless you want to. Do what you enjoy.

I will second the advice that free weights are significantly more interesting than machines. And a program like Strong Lifts 5x5 takes only 30 minutes, three times a week. However, free weights aren't the be-all and end-all of strength training. It's probably the most efficient, for sure, but only if you can get in the gym and actually do it.

Check out things like TRX, kettleball training, crossfit, and other more dynamic strength training. They may fit better with you cardio mindset. There are choices for increasing strength, and the best program is always the one you can stick to consistently.

I love MFP, and I love the people of MFP (mostly), but there is a real 'cookie cutter' attitude when it comes to stuff like this. Free weights seem to be pushed with no consideration of individual preferences. The attitude seems to be "if only you'd do it, I'm sure you'd like it", which just isn't true for some people.
  • debi_f
    Options

My two cents on the matter is that you can achieve a rebalance of your net calorie intake ('reset metabolism' is nonsense talk), by simply gradually eating more until you see a weight gain trend, and then stepping down to the previous calorie level. No need to reduce the amount of cardio you do unless you want to. Do what you enjoy.

I'm gaining weight right now and have been since Feb. My average net kcal total is under 1000/day. Lowering my intake and upping my cardio is just not an option anymore! I'd like to actually survive this lifestyle change!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I would second the suggestions of working with a trainer (although make sure you get one this time who doesn't have you do everything on machines), or doing HIIT with kettlebells.

My gym has a class that's HIIT with hand weights and I really enjoy it--I conversely am someone who hates cardio and enjoys lifting, so I figure this way I get some cardio in as well. TRX, as suggested previously, can also be a lot of fun, and since you do Pilates I'm sure you'd have enough core strength to do it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I'm gaining weight right now and have been since Feb. My average net kcal total is under 1000/day. Lowering my intake and upping my cardio is just not an option anymore! I'd like to actually survive this lifestyle change!

I presume you have eliminated logging error as a source? People around these parts are quick to scream 'starvation mode', when 'eating more than you think you are' is actually a much more common issue.

I still maintain that a gradual calorie increase is the most that you need - no need to cut cardio. Though you are doing cardio several times a week, it's not like you are running marathons - it's a pretty reasonable total looked at weekly.

Strength training is undoubtedly of value to anyone, but don't feel slave to free weights. Check them out by all means, but if you truly can't stand them, there are options you may enjoy that will get you 80% of the benefit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I took a look at your exercise diary. IMO there is no way that is "too much cardio".

Your issue must lie elsewhere.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I took a look at your exercise diary. IMO there is no way that is "too much cardio".

Even if eating at a huge deficit? :huh: If you want to eat a fairly large deficit and preserve muscle mass, eating higher protein and heavy lifting three times a week is the way to go about that.

But then, I'm not doing cardio more than 1-2 times a week right now, eating only a modest 350 calorie deficit, and settling for 2/3 lb. a week loss, so my way may not work for you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ]Even if eating at a huge deficit? :huh:

Huge deficits are supposed to be created by eating above BMR and adding huge amounts of exercise, not by cutting exercise to a minimum and eating like a bird.

Her problem is definitely not "too much cardio", IMO.
  • debi_f
    Options

Well, definitely not in the last few days.... I've been in "depression" mode and haven't been able to get off my bum... ;-)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    edited to fix munged quote tags
    Huge deficits are supposed to be created by eating above BMR and adding huge amounts of exercise, not by cutting exercise to a minimum and eating like a bird.

Her problem is definitely not "too much cardio", IMO.
    I agree that eating like a bird is not ideal, but adding huge amounts of exercise is not either. It's a good way to set yourself up for injury if you don't ramp up slowly. Also, it's a lot easier for men to create deficits with exercise than women. Huge deficits are not ideal anyway. But regardless of what is ideal, and how much cardio she is doing or not doing, if she's truly eating 1150 calories (average in the last 3 months if she's been logging accurately), and not losing, there's something metabolically wrong.

Debi, if you have been logging completely and honestly, I suggest visiting the doctor to get a blood workup including thyroid. Also, check out the MFP group "Eat, Train, Progress" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-. They can take a look at your diary and give you specific suggestions to commit to, record results and report back. It's an amazing group.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Debi, if you have been logging completely and honestly, I suggest visiting the doctor to get a blood workup including thyroid. Also, check out the MFP group "Eat, Train, Progress" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-. They can take a look at your diary and give you specific suggestions to commit to, record results and report back. It's an amazing group.

I've posted there and am waiting to hear something back. Hopefully I can get a new plan in place, because I can't keep going the way I've been going.