HELP, middle age slump.

Options
Hey all. I need help. I feel like I am working my *kitten* off and not seeing results like I think I should. I am not a patient person. I am very new at all this and have been winging it and just reading what I can online. If there is someone out there in my position that has a good grip on this or that really is confident they can help, please take a look at my diary and workouts and let me know what I can do differently. I am will to put in the work I just don't know what to do. Please keep in mind that I have little to no money so a gym is out of the question. Also I seem to be having an issue with weak ankles and lots of pain in my shins. After smoking for 30 years I thought the issue would be breathing. But my lungs outlast my shins. Thanks any and all help is appreciated.
Shelley
Height: 5.9
Female

Replies

• tanetti
    tanetti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat more! I'm hungry just looking at how skimpy your food intake is. Your body needs fuel especially if you're earning 900 calories/day in exercise. And be patient. Healthy loss is no more than 2 lbs. a week (and for most people that's pushing it; more like 1 lb./week).
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    To be honest with all the exercise you're doing I don't think you are eating enough! I'm not a dietician but many times I've seen your problem on these boards and often it seems to be this. Not sure what your exercise is so no idea what is causing the leg problems. I'm in the UK so our diets are very different but please feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like to :-) I'm sure you'll get far better answers than I've given fom people much more qualified than me! Good luck on your journey - you won't regret it :-)
  • srhelm
    srhelm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are the types of food I am eating good? What other ideas for food would you suggest and when? I really don't feel like I am hungry.
    And Currently I am working out mostly at night. Do you think it might be beneficial to do mornings and night?
    Thanks
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is 1300 but you are consistently eating under this. You have clearly seen results.....what are your expectations?

It is normal to see quite a big weight loss in the first couple of weeks while your body sheds excess fluids and accustoms itself to the reduced calorie intake and higher work output but then it should taper off to losing 1-2 pound a week ( a healthy recommendation being 1lb a week)

If you continue to eat such low calorie intake, your body will adjust and slow down your metabolism so you will still not lose the weight as fast as you want. You should try eating as close to your calorie goal as possible and if doing serious workouts, eat back some of those calories too. You are netting way too low and will eventually pay the price.

I am speaking from experience, though mine was a calculated plan. I ate 1200 calories a day, burnt around 500-600 in exercise and didn't eat any of those back. I lost a lot of weight fast, giving me the boost I needed emotionally to get this change of lifestyle in motion. I knew if I started at a sensible 1lb a week, I would feel defeated before I started so I did a very low calorie net until I saw a real slow down in weight loss, then upped my calories over a few weeks to 1540 and there I am at the moment. I have lost 38lbs so far and it feels FAB!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am not a patient person.

You're going to have to learn how to be patient - there's no getting around it.
  • notdieting
    Options
    That is very true....it took a long time to put on the weight and will take a long time to get off but if you do it slow and steady, you have a greater chance of keeping it off. Mind you, it depends what you call impatient. I started this journey half way through April and would never have believed that I'd already be approaching my three stone lost mark. If someone had told me in April that by Christmas I could be two thirds of the way to goal, I'd have laughed in their face and yet that is now looking extremely likely!
  • srhelm
    Options
    I pretty much knew that people were going to say I needed to eat more. I really need some suggestions and critiquing on the diet. Not sure if what I am doing is fine and just need to eat more of the same things or if I need to eat differently.
  • notdieting
    Options
    It's difficult for me to help on food types as I'm in the UK and things are very different from the States but you're welcome to check out my diary if you want. I am not a clean eater. I eat lots of meat, veg and salad but also easy to cook stuff like breaded fish and ready made supermarket mashed potatoes.....I don't have time or the inclination to do it from scratch and it works so don't feel the need to change anything.

Maybe you should just add some snacks in between meals....a granola bar or some fruit. They can add a fair few calories but are still healthy. Or, if the clean eating doesn't bother you, treat yourself to some chocolate or icecream....there's always room for those and this should be about moderation, not cutting out every nice thing you enjoy.

That's why I feel, for the first time in a decade, I can really do this....cos nothing is off the menu, it's just moderated.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say you need more protein but probably more carbs as well with the excellent circuit training you do :-)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I need help. I feel like I am working my *kitten* off and not seeing results like I think I should. I am not a patient person. I am very new at all this and have been winging it and just reading what I can online. If there is someone out there in my position that has a good grip on this or that really is confident they can help, please take a look at my diary and workouts and let me know what I can do differently. I am will to put in the work I just don't know what to do. Please keep in mind that I have little to no money so a gym is out of the question. Also I seem to be having an issue with weak ankles and lots of pain in my shins. After smoking for 30 years I thought the issue would be breathing. But my lungs outlast my shins. Thanks any and all help is appreciated.
    Shelley
    Height: 5.9
    Female

You HAVE to be patient. It took a long time to get on. It will take a while to get off.

I'm 53. Did the one pound a thing. Good first success and then after 8 weeks (12 pounds) I'm like COME ON! This is going to take FOREVER! It didn't. It took 8 months and then it became my life and I've lost another 10 pounds beyond that.

You aren't eating enough to sustain that. You'll be more patient if you hit closer to your calorie goals. Keep exercising - it will make you look good faster. Then keep eating and logging so you can do this forever without thinking about it as a short term diet. That thinking will kill you.
  • charlem
    Options
    hey there---I too have hit a slump and am unable to lose weight. I blame it on age (45 yrs) and slowing metabolism! It is very frustrating. I did view your food diary and there are a few things that stick out to me. I had the same habit as you--- putting large amounts of sugar in my coffee, and decided that cutting back on sugar may make a difference. I gradually reduced the amount of sugar i put in my coffee over time. I went from 4 tsp to 3 tsp for awhile and now I am at 2 tsp. If it is too bitter for you, I have also tried mixing sugar and stevia (50/50) and using that instead. Or, using honey instead of sugar in my coffee.

I also notice that you get 200 calories from Gatorade. I would cut out the gatorade (use water with lemon) and try to get those 200 calories from something with more nutritional value. Try getting more protein in your diet too.

I saw your question about working out at night versus morning. Although I HATE getting up in the morning to work out, I believe that in the morning, you have more energy and get a better work out in. I think it jump starts your metabolism and helps you all day long. I am too tired after work and don't get the best work out in.

These are just a few tips. Good luck on your journey!!
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

While I am by no means an expert, I looked at your diary and I agree with previous posters that you need to eat more. You are most likely eating below your BMR (search for it in the forums) which will severely impact your weight loss because your body will slow down to cope with this low calorie intake.

Also, it looks to me like you eat an awful lot of sugar. Even applesauce and plums have sugar, although it is healthier than the processed kind. Instant oatmeal isn't the greatest option either, because it is so highly processed to make it instant that your body doesn't have to work at all to get to the carbs (sugar). "Real" oatmeal only takes 10 minutes to make, and you can make it ahead and refrigerate it.

I totally hear you about not having money to join a gym. I don't think it's necessary either. Do you have health insurance at work? You could ask your doctor for recommendations at a wellness check which might be free with your insurance. The trouble with coming to a public forum for advice is that you will get such wildly varied responses. Just proceed with caution when you see someone suggest something extreme.

At my highest weight of 204, I weighed almost exactly the same as my husband. It was a real eye opener! I know you said you aren't a patient person, but this is one time you will need your patience. Losing 1-2 pounds per week is a healthy and SUSTAINABLE weight loss, and in the long run, that's what you want.
  • Marigoldie
    Marigoldie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As you guessed, I too would recommend eating more. I would probably work on adding more protein to your diet. I try to have an egg at breakfast or some bacon or ham. Don't be afraid to eat, just eat good stuff and avoid sugars, processed or snack foods like chips. What kind of exercise are you doing?
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I think the foods you are eating are fine. There just aren't enough of them. The suggestion for more protein is probably a good one. As others have suggested, I would be worried about your metabolism slowing to adjust to your lowered intake of food. You give your height and age. What about current weight and goal weight. Do you know what your BMR and TDEE are?

I think you are on the right track, but you do need to be patient. It does take time. And it is worth it in the end.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    What is your actual weight?
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Eat all the foods! :smile:

I know you mentioned that you aren't hungry, so maybe implement some calorie dense foods. Avocados, peanut butter, nuts (watch your sodium, tho), quinoa (great protein source, too).

As you probably already know, MFP already calculates the deficit, so you want to hit that goal, and eat some, if not all, of those exercise calories back.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your frustration..

MFP takes the long slow road here, 1-2 pounds a week is the target. We have to have patience and do it as long as it takes because along the way we are learning how to eat better so that we lose (or gain) weight.

There are quicker ways to lose 30 pounds but then its a diet, and sometimes temporary so at the end if one does not re-learn how to eat, they will regain the weight and then some. so back to square one anyway.

Hang in there..
  • srhelm
    Options
    245.6 this morning.
  • mikinak
    Options
    I noticed that right now you are not tracking your sugars. Where fibers is you could switch to sugar. I am eating my calories but going over on sugar pretty much everyday. If you can afford it switch from processed foods like hamburger helper to all real food, that might help too. It is expensive but might help as you will get more nutrients for the same calories and be healthier.
    Good luck.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I noticed that right now you are not tracking your sugars. Where fibers is you could switch to sugar. I am eating my calories but going over on sugar pretty much everyday. If you can afford it switch from processed foods like hamburger helper to all real food, that might help too. It is expensive but might help as you will get more nutrients for the same calories and be healthier.
    Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about Sugars if they are coming from fresh fruit and veggies. It's the added sugars from processed foods that you need to avoid. And I agree, wean yourself off of the processed foods. You can make your own version of hamburger helper by adding your own noodles, spices and melted cheese. It'll be a lot healthier for you.