low protein meal and snack ideas

Options
I know it sounds crazy but I'm in need of low protein meal and snack ideas. Due to health issues I have I can't eat very much protein (my body has trouble digesting it even with my meds). I feel like I almost stay hungry throughout the day because I usually try to eat my protein at night so I stay fuller longer and not tempted to start snacking late at night. I can have some protein but a 12oz protein shake a day is too much in addition to my meats at night. So I'm at a loss i don't know what to put in place that can help fill me up some.

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Whst about pasta or rice .?
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are pretty devoid of protein. Carrot sticks, grapes, apples, bananas. Nuts usually don't have a super high amount of protein and are satiating, but I don't know what the exact threshold is for you. Low calorie popcorn, cheese and/or crackers, and veggie chips when you're feeling slightly naughty. Sugar-free jello if you need something candy-like.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    wtf.... that sounds like my worst nightmare... anyways i will try to be helpful

Nope sorry i have nothing to offer... i eat over 1g per lb of bodyweight of protein a day...
  • angeleyes6480
    Options
    Whst about pasta or rice .?
    I use rice quite a bit for lunches don't have much pasta around but I can try that
  • angeleyes6480
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are pretty devoid of protein. Carrot sticks, grapes, apples, bananas. Nuts usually don't have a super high amount of protein and are satiating, but I don't know what the exact threshold is for you. Low calorie popcorn, cheese and/or crackers, and veggie chips when you're feeling slightly naughty. Sugar-free jello if you need something candy-like.
    great ideas! Thanks alot ????
  • angeleyes6480
    Options

Nope sorry i have nothing to offer... i eat over 1g per lb of bodyweight of protein a day...

thanks anyway...i know its strange but my pancreas just can't digest it even with the enzyme pills I'm on
  • gbrundagebrunker
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal?
  • angeleyes6480
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal?

hmmm....never tried that but I will see if I can find some anything is worth a shot :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, minimally-processed high-fiber breads, like sprouted grain bread, and healthy fats like nuts and avocados are probably going to be your friends. I don't envy you, dear. If I couldn't eat all the protein, I would be a flaming bee-hotch (even more than I already am!).
  • angeleyes6480
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, minimally-processed high-fiber breads, like sprouted grain bread, and healthy fats like nuts and avocados are probably going to be your friends. I don't envy you, dear. If I couldn't eat all the protein, I would be a flaming bee-hotch (even more than I already am!).

I try to keep fruits and vegetables around but my kids always eat em up lol can't be mad at them for eating healthy...sometimes I eat maybe two eggs or peanut butter but that's rare and never on the same day...they had me on a diet at one time and wanted me to have protein at each meal and 5 days later I was in the hospital for a week...protein is not the only thing either red meat, shrimp or any shellfish...cant have them either
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whole grain stuff and a lot of fruit and veggies. Sorry, that must suck!
  • angeleyes6480
    Options
    Whole grain stuff and a lot of fruit and veggies. Sorry, that must suck!

thanks and yes it does but I have two kids and its for them more than anyone why I have fought so long trying to figure out what's going on and helping me keep on track...but that's a whole other story lol
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options

easy for you, you are light as a feather ;)
    are you trying to get in my pants? if so... its working
  • Morn66
    Options
    I, too, can't (or at least am not supposed to) have a lot of protein. I should eat less than 30g a day, but I'm usually closer to 40. :( In my case, it's because of a malfunctioning liver. If I eat a lot of protein, it will damage my kidneys, and I'm trying to avoid that.

Anyway, have you thought about going vegan? That's what I've done. I know it sounds extreme, and I suppose it is, but for me it's been fairly easy, perhaps because I was already ovo-lacto vegetarian and because I'm a single person, so I don't have to worry about cooking multiple meals for household omnivores. So, "all" I had to do was ditch dairy and eggs. If you cut out animal products, it easier to cut down on the protein...yet still hard. A lot of vegan stuff -- like tofu, beans, lentils, quinoa, etc. -- are high in protein for those of us on protein restriction. Still, it's easier. If this sounds at all appealing to you, I can recommend some good vegan cooking blogs. You can have a look, see what you think. If it isn't possible...Well, at least consider vegetarian, fully or part-time. If you still do dairy, that's less-high protein than meat/eggs, at least.
  • angeleyes6480
    Options
    I, too, can't (or at least am not supposed to) have a lot of protein. I should eat less than 30g a day, but I'm usually closer to 40. :( In my case, it's because of a malfunctioning liver. If I eat a lot of protein, it will damage my kidneys, and I'm trying to avoid that.

Anyway, have you thought about going vegan? That's what I've done. I know it sounds extreme, and I suppose it is, but for me it's been fairly easy, perhaps because I was already ovo-lacto vegetarian and because I'm a single person, so I don't have to worry about cooking multiple meals for household omnivores. So, "all" I had to do was ditch dairy and eggs. If you cut out animal products, it easier to cut down on the protein...yet still hard. A lot of vegan stuff -- like tofu, beans, lentils, quinoa, etc. -- are high in protein for those of us on protein restriction. Still, it's easier. If this sounds at all appealing to you, I can recommend some good vegan cooking blogs. You can have a look, see what you think. If it isn't possible...Well, at least consider vegetarian, fully or part-time. If you still do dairy, that's less-high protein than meat/eggs, at least.

I seriously haven't thought about that and I have no clue what its like but I will look into it to see if it is something I think I can do