Why are US meal portions so big??

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Large portion sizes in the chain restaurants may vary from country to country , but what is more worrying is how there are more obese people than ever in America and the UK. I can remember when I first moved to London 30 years ago and you could spot the american tourist as they would be HUGE , nowadays there are less american tourists (due to both 9/11 and the collapsing american economy) but plenty of HUGE british people. I have never seen so many fat people walking around and it seems to be completely accepted, in my childrens lifetime ie the last 20 years it has exploded, fat people used to be the exception not the norm.
    I also have noticed the super sized portions almost everywhere that sells food in America, Canada has normal sized, healthy food. Those are just my personal subjective observations, theyre not digs at american people nor cultural differences, just the bare facts

So how did you identify people were tourists or not? Did you speak to every "HUGE" person? What about the not "HUGE" people? Did you poll everyone?

This thread is absolutely ridiculous. I can't even begin to address some of the non sense I've seen.
    While my Europe experience is limited I have travelled a bit in the US.

ETA - in case not clear - I am not from the US

because I was standing near enough in the bars or food chains to hear the american accent, okay? not to mention the hawaiin shirts/short checked shorts/rucksack combos in the dead of winter

Seems like a totally legit and credible way of judging

386205574.gif

I'm just going to quote BeachIron on this

Some will look at only the evidence that supports their pre-conceived conclusions, and ignore all evidence to the contrary. It allows them to be "correct" and close off their minds. Look at this thread. There is no sense in debating with these types because they will never dig deeper into the subject matter, and certainly won't change their minds. Racism, xenophobia, sexism, IMHO it all derives from a similar mindset.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I can see the soft drinks being sweeter/a different recipe. But fruit? Come on. The only reason I can think of is superior growing climate and therefore superior quality of fruit. Strawberries and apples are supposed to be sweet. However, with apples, it depends on variety. Red Delicious are not very sweet at all while a Fuji will be very much so.

I never drink soda, personally. I don't like it.

Don't people outside of America experience different flavors of fruit depending on the time of the year, the supplier, the crop? I can buy amazingly sweet strawberries one week and be disappointed the next time. It's the crap shoot of buying fruit and not something made from an exact recipe in the same conditions in a factory.
    I was thinking that, too. Every strawberry crop is different. Grapes are wonderful one week and lousy the next. Oranges, apples ... I could go on.

I don't buy apples in FL outside of season because they're terrible.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options

You are taking this way too personal.. you act as if this is an attack on your country, rather than what it is
    Maybe because you're complaining about fresh fruit and water and because people constantly bash the US. It gets tiring.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am not bashing, I am making an observation. Again, like when I mention how early british people go out for drinks, or norwegians eat.. or how much Icelanders drink and behave rudely or really really really like their woolen sweaters.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

It would be as if a british person would act all offended when I comment on how early in the day they drink! People going out to pubs right after work! Or a norwegian being offended when I say they eat way too early.. c'mon dinner at 5? I am barely done with my tea then!

Happy Hour? The British person may be offended because it's not just a British thing. The Norwegian person may be offended because others also like to eat when they get home from work, whatever time that may be.
  • iceqieen
    Options

I can see the soft drinks being sweeter/a different recipe. But fruit? Come on. The only reason I can think of is superior growing climate and therefore superior quality of fruit. Strawberries and apples are supposed to be sweet. However, with apples, it depends on variety. Red Delicious are not very sweet at all while a Fuji will be very much so.

I never drink soda, personally. I don't like it.

Don't people outside of America experience different flavors of fruit depending on the time of the year, the supplier, the crop? I can buy amazingly sweet strawberries one week and be disappointed the next time. It's the crap shoot of buying fruit and not something made from an exact recipe in the same conditions in a factory.

Ofcourse its different between crops and seasons. The strawberries were an example, but even prepared food and prepacked and all of that was sooooo sweet. And isnt lemonade supposed to be more sour than sweet? Or maybe I have been drinking the wrong type :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The whole two weeks I felt like in "sugar shock".. thankfully I had alot of touristing (read: walking) to do so I got it out of my system.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I ordered a side salad in one, and it was bigger than a salad I would have as a main course in England

And I've had side salads in many, many, many American restaurants that were tiny.

Last week, I met a British man in Jacksonville. He spends six weeks there every year, he said, and has been doing it for many years. He kept telling us about how in Britain, you can drive so much faster on the highways (motorways there, apparently). He went on and on about how the speed limits there are 70mph.

I-10 runs right through Jacksonville and most of I-10 in Florida is a 70mph speed limit. Parts of I-95 are 75mph.

I kept telling him that and he kept ignoring me.

Not quite sure what motorways have to do with this thread.....

Like I said though, I am sure there are restaurents in the US where the portion sizes are normal. However, that was not my experience. This is not me trying to be xenophobic or offensive, this is me explaining my experience of the US.
    My point was that people come here from other countries and make assumptions based on a VERY limited exposure. He was telling me that you can't drive 70mph on American highways and you can. Just like people visiting from other countries make judgments about our food and nothing we say can change your minds.

Some will look at only the evidence that supports their pre-conceived conclusions, and ignore all evidence to the contrary. It allows them to be "correct" and close off their minds. Look at this thread. There is no sense in debating with these types because they will never dig deeper into the subject matter, and certainly won't change their minds. Racism, xenophobia, sexism, IMHO it all derives from a similar mindset.

People have the right to remain ignorant. Why they would is beyond me.
  • iceqieen
    Options

It would be as if a british person would act all offended when I comment on how early in the day they drink! People going out to pubs right after work! Or a norwegian being offended when I say they eat way too early.. c'mon dinner at 5? I am barely done with my tea then!

Happy Hour? The British person may be offended because it's not just a British thing. The Norwegian person may be offended because others also like to eat when they get home from work, whatever time that may be.

Please show me a Brit or a Norwegian that *is* offended by the comment.. I have made these comments to many (and they have in turn mentioned the drinking, blondness, believing in elfs, loving wool sweaters and many other stereotypes/observations of Icelanders) and not one has been offended. I guess we just know how to embrace what makes us different from the next country without assuming that EVERYONE in our country does the same things or thinking that the person making the comment actually means every single person and is super serious and offensive.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Why are US meal portions so big??
    1. Because you cannot cram that much salt, fat and crabs into a regular size meal.
    2. We Americans are gluttonous and feel entitled because we are all special snowflakes.
    3. It takes lots of calories to maintain a national BMI average of 28.
    (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf)
    4. Americans like to declare war and conquer giant evils like drugs, terrorists and cheesecake.
    5. We value quantity over quality.
    6. We need the extra energy to work harder so we won't lose our jobs and health insurance that we probably wouldn't need if we didn't each such large amounts of crap.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    American size 10 for a lady is.. slim, here in UK you are 14-16 and overweight. It's a different world.

Actually you are considered overweight in the US also if you are a 14 -16.... Anything over a size 6. Well I will just have to be overweight to some because I will be happy at a 12!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Please show me a Brit or a Norwegian that *is* offended by the comment.. I have made these comments to many (and they have in turn mentioned the drinking, blondness, believing in elfs, loving wool sweaters and many other stereotypes/observations of Icelanders) and not one has been offended. I guess we just know how to embrace what makes us different from the next country without assuming that EVERYONE in our country does the same.

Maybe someone should start a thread asking "Why do British people drink so early in the day?" and we will see.

I've just returned from a holiday in London and was amazed at the employees hitting the pubs as soon as they leave work. I mentioned this to a British friend and he just replied that England was the land of plenty and they had to support their pubs. He then left work and went straight to the pubs without seeing his kids first - what is the sense of that?? Bars in the US open much later and yet we have alcohol problems here too.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Large portion sizes in the chain restaurants may vary from country to country , but what is more worrying is how there are more obese people than ever in America and the UK. I can remember when I first moved to London 30 years ago and you could spot the american tourist as they would be HUGE , nowadays there are less american tourists (due to both 9/11 and the collapsing american economy) but plenty of HUGE british people. I have never seen so many fat people walking around and it seems to be completely accepted, in my childrens lifetime ie the last 20 years it has exploded, fat people used to be the exception not the norm.
    I also have noticed the super sized portions almost everywhere that sells food in America, Canada has normal sized, healthy food. Those are just my personal subjective observations, theyre not digs at american people nor cultural differences, just the bare facts

So how did you identify people were tourists or not? Did you speak to every "HUGE" person? What about the not "HUGE" people? Did you poll everyone?

This thread is absolutely ridiculous. I can't even begin to address some of the non sense I've seen.

because I was standing near enough in the bars or food chains to hear the american accent, okay? not to mention the hawaiin shirts/short checked shorts/rucksack combos in the dead of winter

Wow. But you know, the UK is the fashion capitol of the world. I get all my high fashion things at Floral Patterns Market and Knee-High Hose'r'us. They go great with my satellite dish sized fascinators and powder blue pillbox hats.
  • redexec
    redexec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Think about portion sizes in relation to dollars per seat for a restaurant. Americans think they are getting a great deal when there is a greater quantity of food on the plate. Much of what appears on the plate is high carb, low cost and easy to store. We rarely see a larger proportion of leafy greens to protein on a plate. Leafy greens spoil faster and are harder for a restaurant to store. I'm not so sure it is what Americans demanded or more a matter of what the corporate American food chains decided they could sell to the American public.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow so glad I am live in a common wealth of the UK...no bashing of Canada...:laugh:

The funny thing is this portion sizes are bigger everywhere and to make a generalized statement that they are the biggest in the US is hogwash...*note Canadian slang*...have you ever had a load fix??? IE Poutine Deep fried FF's with meat (hamburger or sausage with cheese curd possibly peas and onions smothered in Gravy)

Portion sizes are determined by the consumer, North American consumers are from alllll over.

Think about our immigration levels, vacationers wanting more bang for their buck all of that is taken into consideration when sizing the portions along with who else is going to be eating there.

The real question should be "Why are portions getting so big" not sure why it has to be specific to the US.......regardless of the OP's original intent or their travels, chances are those you were visiting took you to the places you were not going to spend a tonne and leave hungry..unlike other places you can visit where it is all about the quality of the food not getting big bang for your buck.....ie Italy, France where you expect to spend money for a great meal...instead of bang for your dollar...(loonie in Canada)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Here's why:

In the US, the food is relatively cheap and the labor is relatively expensive.

If you are paying some people to make and sell a plate of lasagna, the lasagna is the cheapest part of the business. The biggest cost is the labor.

So it doesn't cost you very much more to serve a big plate of lasagna as opposed to a small plate.

But to the consumer, it makes a big difference for your $20 whether you get a little food or a lot of food. All else being equal, people will chose the place that gives them the most quantity for their money.

Now there are some places that try to sell quality over quantity, but it's a niche market. Not many people want to go to those "all plate no food" restaurants and pay a lot of money and still be hungry when they leave.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Ofcourse its different between crops and seasons. The strawberries were an example, but even prepared food and prepacked and all of that was sooooo sweet. And isnt lemonade supposed to be more sour than sweet? Or maybe I have been drinking the wrong type :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The whole two weeks I felt like in "sugar shock".. thankfully I had alot of touristing (read: walking) to do so I got it out of my system.

Ok, so American fruit isn't pumped with sugar because Murica. Good, same page. You absolutely can get lemonade that's more sour than sweet, or you can get lemonade that is mostly sugar with a hint of lemon. That's why people ask questions when labels aren't available if they are sensitive to a product. I make my own lemonade and would only get it in a restaurant if it was the type that has a lot of texture from the actual lemons used. Or, I actually just don't get any drinks in restaurants besides diet pop, black coffee, or water with lemon. Drinking the water with lemon with no sugar helps me avoid feeling like I am in sugar shock. Maybe you could try that next time so you aren't in sugar shock? When you buy prepackaged, the sugar content is right there on the label. Best of luck next time!
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The same reason they pump our food full of hormons and put GMOs in our crops. Slow kill.
  • iceqieen
    Options

Please show me a Brit or a Norwegian that *is* offended by the comment.. I have made these comments to many (and they have in turn mentioned the drinking, blondness, believing in elfs, loving wool sweaters and many other stereotypes/observations of Icelanders) and not one has been offended. I guess we just know how to embrace what makes us different from the next country without assuming that EVERYONE in our country does the same.

Maybe someone should start a thread asking "Why do British people drink so early in the day?" and we will see.

I've just returned from a holiday in London and was amazed at the employees hitting the pubs as soon as they leave work. I mentioned this to a British friend and he just replied that England was the land of plenty and they had to support their pubs. He then left work and went straight to the pubs without seeing his kids first - what is the sense of that?? Bars in the US open much later and yet we have alcohol problems here too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099694-why-do-british-people-drink-so-early-in-the-day

:flowerforyou:
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    As a side note, the person demanding 'how could APPLES be sweeter' should probably look into mass fruit production. Fruit is measured in degrees Brix, a sweetness indicator. Theyre grown to be a certain sweetness, grafting clone branches onto trunks.

Oh and apples are kept in storage for up to 11 months. Nice thought, huh.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Wow , because that is how ALL American tourists dress when they visit foreign countries.... smh... talk about stereotyping! :noway: :grumble:
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    As a Brit I think it does no good to our culture that we as a nation drink excessively and seem to require copious alcohol at social occasions (especially work related). Does that mean I'm going to get offended that someone else noticed and asked a question about it. Just because it's not my personal culture it doesn't mean that I haven't noticed that it is a problem here (IMO). I would much rather the continental European approach where wine is the preferred alcoholic drink and is consumed in a family setting with good food rather than beer/spirits instead of food in a pub after work.