Granulated sugar alternative for hot tea?

Options
13»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar (white sugar) will undergo the refining process. It is bleached with sulphuric acid

That doesn't happen. Sulphuric acid isn't a bleach, lowering the pH would lead to inversion losses so it's a non solution that nobody uses in the real world.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it definitely is, or it would still taste like beets. its refined to remove the taste of beets, and takes all of the nutrients with it.
    I should stop digging if I were you. White sugar is made from beet in one facility, there is no raw / refined model like there is in cane sugar.
  • cardenalera
    cardenalera Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're used to have your coffee/tea with that much sugar, I'm afraid nothing will help you cut it down except cutting it down.

I was used to have all my drinks with granulated sugar and decided one day that it was enough, you know, cause it wasn't helping me get any lighter nor cheering for my health. What I did was cut 1/2 tsp in my coffee for every week or so until I got used to the change and then cut another 1/2 tsp and so on, until I reduced them to the minimum (for me that's 1/2 tsp granulated sugar for 1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee). As for my tea, which I also love, I took it down to zero. I cannot tolerate now any sweetener of any kind in any of my teas/infusions. I realize now it's not supposed to have any.

Stevia, agave, Splenda, etc, will just trick your brain into thinking you're eating sugar and command your body to respond to it, which will not help you with your health. But they can help you cut down the granulated one real slowly until you get to a comfortable level.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar (white sugar) will undergo the refining process. It is bleached with sulphuric acid

That doesn't happen. Sulphuric acid isn't a bleach, lowering the pH would lead to inversion losses so it's a non solution that nobody uses in the real world.

I'm trying to respect the topic at hand and avoid feeding the trolls here.

but here is a link to a patent application from one of the sugar mills: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120216799 it directly discusses the process and use of sulfuric acid and its lowering of the pH.

this is my last post about this. I really don't care to discuss this with those who don't science well.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

but here is a link to a patent application from one of the sugar mills: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120216799 it directly discusses the process and use of sulfuric acid and its lowering of the pH.

this is my last post about this. I really don't care to discuss this with those who don't science well.

Trolls? I'm sorry that you see someone who disagrees with you as a troll.

And as far as I can tell, the refining process after the centrifuge is as follows:
    The remaining sugar is then dissolved to make a syrup (about 70 percent by weight solids), which is clarified by the addition of phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide that combine to precipitate calcium phosphate. The calcium phosphate particles entrap some impurities and absorb others, and then float to the top of the tank, where they are skimmed off.

After any remaining solids are filtered out, the clarified syrup is decolorized by filtration through a bed of activated carbon or, in more modern plants, ion-exchange resin.
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, lol@ your patent post. That is for a NEW type of refining.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

new type thats been in use for our sugar production for 28 years? enough already dude.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

It's my understanding that it's not bleached in sulfric acid, rather the acid is created as a by product through a reaction between the moisture in the air and the sulfur?
  • whierd
    Options

new type thats been in use for our sugar production for 28 years? enough already dude.

I thought that was your last post on it?
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, my hat > your hat.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Also, my hat > your hat.

I have been wanting this. The battle of the hats. Two enter, only one can leave.

Mine is made with refined sugar. I'm probably gonna die soon.
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, my hat > your hat.

I have been wanting this. The battle of the hats. Two enter, only one can leave.

My hat won.
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ go have your debate elsewhere. This is about Granulated sugar alternative for hot tea :devil: :drinker:

Well I never! *offended face* :laugh:

Well, the OP doesn't want to use artificial sweeteners, which leaves honey, stevia, and agave nectar. Or syrup...I guess.

:laugh:
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Also, my hat > your hat.

My hat won.

:noway:
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i use raw organic honey to sweeten my tea :)