Price of Groceries

Options
2»

Replies

• frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi. I know I already mentioned it in my response too, but yeah...I usually fill four reusable cloth bags for $50-70, and we're talking about LARGE bags filled to the brim with 2 weeks worth of food.

I really dislike Aldi's. I can't stand their product or their meat. it's usually really sketchy looking.

I'm not wildly picky about my food- organic grass fed pesticides whatever- but I don't want stuff that look sketchy- OR has a life in my house of 2 days. I only want to go once a week for product and 9/10 it's not edible in 3 days. unaccpetable.

that and they have a crap ton of processed food that is just icky- like mac and cheese stuff- I don't like that what so ever.
    sometimes spending a little extra is worth it to me- and getting food that looks edible and will last the week out- that's one of those things. I'm all about a good deal- and I do well for myself I have a system... but I found that I'm not willing to skimp on certain things.

I don't think we have Aldi's in Canada, but I'm assuming it's similar to other 'cheap' grocery stores like Food Basics and Price Chopper. Pretty much the only thing I would buy there is canned goods or dried staples (flour, pasta) since those are pretty much the same anywhere. I mostly shop at Metro, Costco and Walmart. The Walmart by our place has surprisingly good produce. And in the summer I hit up the farms around to pick fruits in bulk. The kids love going out to pick things, it's a whole days adventure for them.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi. I know I already mentioned it in my response too, but yeah...I usually fill four reusable cloth bags for $50-70, and we're talking about LARGE bags filled to the brim with 2 weeks worth of food.

I really dislike Aldi's. I can't stand their product or their meat. it's usually really sketchy looking.

I'm not wildly picky about my food- organic grass fed pesticides whatever- but I don't want stuff that look sketchy- OR has a life in my house of 2 days. I only want to go once a week for product and 9/10 it's not edible in 3 days. unaccpetable.

that and they have a crap ton of processed food that is just icky- like mac and cheese stuff- I don't like that what so ever.
    sometimes spending a little extra is worth it to me- and getting food that looks edible and will last the week out- that's one of those things. I'm all about a good deal- and I do well for myself I have a system... but I found that I'm not willing to skimp on certain things.

It must depend on the location-our local one has lots of organic options, great produce, meat etc. I also love their baking supplies-their olive oil has been rated one of the best out there in terms of quality and you can get a big bottle for like $4 :smile:

yep soul mates LOL! ;-)

I agree regarding Aldi. The produce is FANTASTIC at the Aldi in my area. Seriously I've never had a complaint! Sometimes their avocados and cantaloupe melons are much smaller than the supermarket's but they're also a mere fraction of the supermarket prices, so I don't mind a bit!

I don't eat/buy beef, pork, or poultry products but I do love Aldi's frozen salmon, tilapia & shrimp varieties. I find their frozen fruit/veg selection a bit lacking, but very good quality. I love their almond milk, baking staples, olive oil, and nuts of all types. Even their trash bags & facial tissue are great quality for the prices.

My fiancé used to insist on name brand and specialty cheese until we did some "taste tests" with Aldi, and Aldi's cheese won in all categories they're available.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have Aldi's in Canada, but I'm assuming it's similar to other 'cheap' grocery stores like Food Basics and Price Chopper. Pretty much the only thing I would buy there is canned goods or dried staples (flour, pasta) since those are pretty much the same anywhere. I mostly shop at Metro, Costco and Walmart. The Walmart by our place has surprisingly good produce. And in the summer I hit up the farms around to pick fruits in bulk. The kids love going out to pick things, it's a whole days adventure for them.
    pretty much. I used to do A LOT of shopping at Wal-mart- they had great prices and decent produce. Now I don't live near a super walmart- so I shop at shop rite- target **** is expensive- so avoid groceries there unless it's something basic I NEED and I'm there (like milk- if all I need is milk- I'll buy it there)

shrug- I guess it varies by area... I know our Shop Rites- buy local produce when it's in season- jersey corn and jersey tomatoes are HUGE- so while it's a big box store- it supports local economy- so I'm cool with that.
    I agree regarding Aldi. The produce is FANTASTIC at the Aldi in my area. Seriously I've never had a complaint! Sometimes their avocados and cantaloupe melons are much smaller than the supermarket's but they're also a mere fraction of the supermarket prices, so I don't mind a bit!

I don't eat/buy beef, pork, or poultry products but I do love Aldi's frozen salmon, tilapia & shrimp varieties. I find their frozen fruit/veg selection a bit lacking, but very good quality. I love their almond milk, baking staples, olive oil, and nuts of all types. Even their trash bags & facial tissue are great quality for the prices.

My fiancé used to insist on name brand and specialty cheese until we did some "taste tests" with Aldi, and Aldi's cheese won in all categories they're available.

probably- we have several- but I walk in and I'm just ALWAYS disappointed.

that being said i've never tried their cheese- I should- I eat cabot- and I try to buy it only when it's on sale- which is around 2$ for I think a pound... but normally it's 4$. So if they have good cheese- that's worth that- saves me 10 bucks. I usually buy 2 or more blocks when I buy it. my BF really likes it.