I work nights...when is best time to exercise??

cmdrenn
cmdrenn Posts: 5 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I work nights( 6pm-6:30am) in a hospital in the ICU. I've heard that exercising before going to bed isn't good, but I sleep during the day. Anyone have any ideas on what the best time for me to work out would be, without wasting a good workout by going right to bed afterwards. I used to run in the mornings, but night shift shoots that one down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am also looking for a good workout routine I can do at home if anyone knows of one.

Courtney

Replies

• succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    I see a guy who works nights he actually works out before he leaves for work I see him in our clubhouse. That might work for you since it will give you extra energy.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I would suggest working out not long after you wake up before you go to work.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    haven't heard about exercising before bed being bad...:noway:
    I exercise 24-36 min morning and night, sometime within 15 mins of gonig to bed,
    haven't had a problem with it:tongue:
    so I guess my answer would be- whenever you feel you have the energy !
    oh ya, I'm another night shift nurse!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    The best time to work out is when you will actually do it and be consistant with it. I absolutely will not wake up early to work out so I do not work out before work but I will work out after work so that is what is best for me. You have to do what is best for you.
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Try both in the morning and after work and see what works best for you....you know your own body. Good luck!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    It really doesn't matter when you exercise. The only reason why you shouldn't exercise before bed is that exercise actually increases your energy and may interfere with the amount of sleep you get. I have no problem with going to bed after exercise and I exercise at night all the time. :) Do whatever works for you. Good luck on your weight loss. You can do it -- I know you can!!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    i did night shift for years and working out before going to work was my best solution; just wanted to crash after getting off work and the few times i tried it i didn't sleep as well--which is a problem anyway on nights. good luck!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Well since working out is best in the morning, it would be best to work out during YOUR morning, which would be after you wake up, before work.
  • cmdrenn
    haven't heard about exercising before bed being bad...:noway:
    I exercise 24-36 min morning and night, sometime within 15 mins of gonig to bed,
    haven't had a problem with it:tongue:
    so I guess my answer would be- whenever you feel you have the energy !
    oh ya, I'm another night shift nurse!

I have heard that it wasn't good because your metabolism is higher after working out and its pretty much wasted if you sleep right afterwards and stop moving. Thanks for the advice!
  • cmdrenn
    Thanks for all the input.......I am one that won't wake up early to work out early, or at least won't stick with it if I start, so I guess I will try different times and see what works best. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.